Profile for Dunc > Reviews

Haynes 4 Cylinder Combustion Engine
Haynes 4 Cylinder Combustion Engine
Offered by Armar Trading LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 28 Dec. 2012
I like the idea of this - but the reality is slightly different. Whilst it was a lot of fun to make, the instructions were unclear - especially for my youngster. I had trouble understanding them but we finally managed to get the engine built up into a use-able object. Imagine our disappointment when after 30 seconds or so the electric motor gave up the ghost.

The plastic kit part is good despite the instructions, and educationally it is excellent.

Its just a shame that the manufacturing process couldn't give us a decent electric motor.....but then, it is made to a margin in the far east so perhaps I was expecting too much.

The sad thing is: I knew when I bought it that it wouldn't work properly, these things hardly ever do.

Countdown to Extinction
Countdown to Extinction

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...., 4 July 2011
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
Disappointing.
I didn't realise this wasn't the original album so was highly miffed to find it contained remixed versions of tracks from what is undoubtedly their best album.
In the sleeve notes Dave Mustaine is quoted as saying the only way to better their most successful album was to remix it. Well, fair enough, it's his album. And yes, it is very shiny and bright, softer, and warmer-sounding than the original, but the addition of lavish reverbs to tracks such as Symphony Of Destruction merely serve to remove the crushing, raw relentlessness of the original. More is less.
This is definitely a case, Dave, of 'It wasn't broke - didn't need fixing'!

Tower Bridge QUAY Woodcraft Construction Kit FSC
Tower Bridge QUAY Woodcraft Construction Kit FSC
Offered by Quay Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever kits help make clever fingers, 13 Mar. 2011
I first bought one of these kits - the Apache Helicopter - about a year ago to make with my son. I thought it would be a fairly interesting and creative challenge for him because he has been obsessed with join-the-dots clip-together stuff like lego for a while now, and I felt the helicopter would provide him with more of a challenge, and help him develop his problem-solving skills, and his co-ordination. I also felt it would be a good past-time for us to share.
The instructions are basic and require decent problem-solving skills to understand. Whilst strightforward for me, my youngster had a harder time with them but eventually learned how to use them. Constant reference to the main picture will help identify where everything fits, and as the parts fit consecutively by number, it is purely a methodical, patient approach that will win the day. The models are ingeniously presented as press-out parts from flat pieces of balsa/light wood. The parts can be fitted together dry or glued and require a degree of concentration along with a degree of effort and determination if they are to be completed.
Once finished they can be painted to taste and look very presentable once finished. We used small spray cans to finish ours, then applied transfers fron Airfix kits to complete the look.
My kids enjoyed these kits so much I bought several more as they have definitely helped with the development of my childrens' 3-D problem-solving and motor-skills.
Highly recommended.