Profile for Ms. T. A. Gilbert > Reviews

Content by Ms. T. A. Gilbert

Ms. T. A. Gilbert "Tracey G" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Light From Other Windows
Light From Other Windows
by Chris Chalmers

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic follow up to Chalmers's first novel, 31 Aug. 2015
A fantastic follow up to Chalmers's first novel. This tale of a family in turmoil as the youngest son is a caught up in a tsunami is a great read. All the characters are well rounded and although there is indeed portraits of family members deep in heartbreak there is also much humour. We get a window into each character's life and the stories behind their relationships.

I look forward to Chalmers next book.

Supergets® Flip Pocket PU Leather Case Cover For Apple Iphone 5C / 5 C+ Screen Protector , Touch Screen Stylus and Polishing Cloth Purple ( Not compatible with Iphone 5 , 5S , IP4 )
Offered by worldzoness

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little case & good value, 30 Nov. 2014
Lovely little case. Fits Iphone5c well. Only thing is the little pen doesn't fit but that's not why I bought it. Great value for money.

QUINNY BUZZ PUNCTURE PROTECTED TYRE AND TUBE SET OFF ROAD TREAD PATTERN
QUINNY BUZZ PUNCTURE PROTECTED TYRE AND TUBE SET OFF ROAD TREAD PATTERN
Offered by Baldwins Cycles

4.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY I CAN USE MY PRAM AGAIN, 5 Feb. 2014
I have waited quite a while to write my review for these tyres as I really wanted to see how they worked out. Before buying these I had stopped using the Quinny and reverted to a Maclaren as I was getting a puncture every three/four weeks and taking the pram to various bike shops for repair ( ay £10 a time).

I bought these tyres and have now been using my pram nearly everyday for four months. It has made a world of difference and I can't recommend highly enough.

My only issue is that I found them quite difficult to put on and in the end popped along to a bike shop and they did them for me. If it wasn't for that I would have given them a five

What I Did
What I Did
by Christopher Wakling

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read and great ending, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: What I Did (Paperback)
I really enjoyed 'What I Did', the story of a six-year-old boy who gets smacked by his father for running off and almost getting knocked over. The moment is witnessed by a member of the public who reports it and the matter escalates.

I didn't know that it was written from the child's point of view before I started to read it. Although it took me a little time to feel comfortable with Billy's voice I think this was a fantastic viewpoint to choose and made the book very compelling. I loved the fact we got to see the impact adults' behaviour had on Billy and also how he intepreted his parents' actions. As a parent it's definitely made me consider what my little one might be thinking if I have the mobile glued to my ear!

I think Chris Wakling does a great job of being fair and measured with a very emotive topic. Nothing is black or white, no one could be thought of as completely innocent of anything and the authority figures whilst firm appear fair.

The thing that will stick with me most is the ending. It is without doubt one of the most tense endings I have read and as a new mum I found myself reading the last pages with one eye closed and fighting the sense of foreboding.

Really well written, a topical read and great for leading debates in bookclubs, as we did.

Diamond Star Halo
Diamond Star Halo
by Tiffany Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, funny, poignant, and full of amazing descriptions, 6 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Diamond Star Halo (Paperback)
From the opening lines "The one thing my family can agree on - and what I can swear is true - is that Fred Connor came to us, we, the Llewelyns of Rockfarm, in the parched summer of 1977" I was hooked.

This book is a combination of things: a coming of age story, a family saga, a look at our recent history, a twisted romance. And Halo Llewelyn takes us on a journey through it all, introducing her music 'producer' father, her mother the beautiful and enigmatic in-house cook, her younger sister who as she grows up outpaces Halo in the rush towards everything adult, and her cross dressing brother Vince who wants to live like a pop star.

My favourite character is Nana: a straight talking, sturdy women with the most fantastic sayings, and a potion to cure all evils.

When baby Fred enters the family's lives, the future is changed and Diamond Star Halo chronicles that future, explains the past, and makes us laugh and cry along the way.

One of my favourite books!!

The Accidental Tourist
The Accidental Tourist
by Anne Tyler

4.0 out of 5 stars A moral tale wrapped up in great characterisations, 14 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
This is one of those books you have to just go with. You have to allow yourself to belive in the coincidences and supend your disbelief.

The book explores the effect Amber has on a family holidaying in Norfolk. She breezes into thier lives and because of the walls each hav built around themslves they fail to realise none of them has actually invited Amber in. Amber builds relationships with each of the member of the family, tempting the teenage daughter Astrid to break rules and grab at freedom and seducing the teenage son.

Smith cleverly uses multiple pointof view to give the reader insight into every crevice of this family, but limits how mcuh we get to know about Astrid.

This book definatey made me think.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2010 8:27 AM BST

Spooks: Season 1 [DVD] [2002]
Spooks: Season 1 [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Matthew MacFadyen

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 28 Aug. 2006
I started watching Spooks towards the end of series 2 and was instantly a fan! It was great to be able buy this set and start from the beginning, seeing how all of the characters build.

The photography and directing are great. The split screen approach allows you to get a view of the immediate history of two sets of characters in the moments before they collide... wonderful! It's also brave - the show makers are not scared of disaster hitting main characters and so retain suspence. The story lines are contraversial and there's no tip-toeing around topical politics.

I did make the mistake of putting the first DVD on late at night after an evening out and it took me a while to figure out how to get through the spy DVD set up and actually watch the first episode - but all part of the fun!

Buy it!!

We Need To Talk About Kevin
We Need To Talk About Kevin
by Lionel Shriver

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and thought provoking, 15 Nov. 2005
Eva Khatchadourian is a bright, articulate, well travelled, successful business women. She loves all things foreign and hates all things American. She is also the mother of a teenage murderer responsible for shooting seven people and watching them die.
Through a series of letters to her former husband she explores her life, and her relationship with Franklin (her husband) and her children as she builds up to the day of the shooting "Thursday".
Eva is brutally honest about her lack of "bonding" with Kevin and is forthright about how she comes to dislike him. As the letters decribe incidents moving through the family's lives, we see Eva more and more suspicous of her son's actions ,seeing evil in things he does, whilst Franklin sits at the opposite end of scale. Franklin sees only the behavour of a child in Kevin and finds Eva's lack of trust or compassion for Kevin alarming.
I had empathy for Eva straight away. I shivered at the thought of a child turning away from a mothers breast as it was layed there for the first time; the mother only being able to see that as rejection from the child. As the text developed I came to trust Eva less, this was all from her view point afterall.
It's an amazing book and one you will want to discuss over and over again

Death And The Penguin (Panther)
Death And The Penguin (Panther)
by Andrey Kurkov

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - A future cult book, 17 Sept. 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed Death and The Penguin.
From the very first line you are transported into the Russian world of basic living, corruption and uncertainty.
Victor is an "resting" writer who harbours a desire to be a journalist. When we first meet him, he hasn't worked for a while and needs to earn to survive. He is offered a job writing obituaries for a paper He doesn't question the bizarre request to include certain words in the text and thus starts the drama. Throughout the story we see Victors relationship with Misha (a penguin he adopted when the Zoo closed) grow. Misha shows human emotion and tests Victors loyalty and friendship.
A bizarre series of meetings see Victor meet a Militia man, take guardianship of a six year old girl, start a relationship with a nanny figure, and witness a discovery of a body.
It's a great book!!
I was recommended it by a male friend and it is quite a male book. Make a great present for guys!

The Red Tent
The Red Tent
by Anita Diamant

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel added to my top five!, 10 Oct. 2002
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and once it's available in hard cover will purchase that to ensure I read this book again.
This is a wonderfully, well told story of a relatively unknown biblical character. The language is emotive and poetic at points.
The real story is the story of women. Dinah's strengths and vulnerabilities are brilliantly illustrated as she lives her life. Her acceptance of her son being brought up by others and rising above her brought a lump to my throat.
I was brought up in a convent school, on biblical stories and I found this book intriguing and refreshing as it dared to consider the darker sides of well liked biblical characters like Joseph.

Page: 1 | 2