Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Charlie > Reviews

Content by Charlie

Charlie "Charlie" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
250ml Fractionated coconut oil with a pump lotion dispenser top - Aromatherapy carrier oil Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride - Odourless and clear
Offered by SimplyEssentialUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than coconut oil for cosmetic uses, 24 Jun. 2015
This absorbs into the skin really well. I also use it on my hair before washing, so it doesn't dry it out. I think it's great.

Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3% - 500ml Spray
Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3% - 500ml Spray
Offered by Karowi

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, bad bottle, 24 Jun. 2015
I'm enjoying this, feeling the scented eco things I'd been using were just not doing the job. It doesn't foam like some of those sprays can and I think it's a little better on greasy sideboards. It will sting your fingers if you have cuts and it does seem to need to be kept in the dark, to stop it degrading, which is a slight hassle. The spray needs to be quite full to work properly, which is my biggest gripe, so when less than half full you have to angle it up to get it to fill then you've got about 2 sprays of use at an angle before you have to pump it again while upright. Daft.

The Legacy of John Holt: A Man Who Genuinely Understood, Respected, and Trusted Children
by Patrick L Farenga

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who want to know a little bit more, 24 Jun. 2015
I wish I had known John Holt. Although he died when I was still a child, I wept when I realised this. This was an interesting way to get a little closer to him. I wouldn't start here though. This is a book for fans who want to know more. If you don't know his work, maybe start with how children learn or how children fail.

The Myth of Maturity: What Teenagers Need from Parents to Become Adults
The Myth of Maturity: What Teenagers Need from Parents to Become Adults
by Terri Apter

3.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting observations but avoids the really interesting and important questions, 24 Jun. 2015
This definitely increased my sympathy for young adults but I felt the author didn't go very far in her analysis. I mean she convinces you that parents should not consider their jobs over when their kids leave for college/work. Broadly she advises hand-holding and support through what she calls the threshold years (not as the title indicates, the teenage years). I take on what she says. However, there is no enquiry into why young people are suddenly finding it so hard to mature, which to me is the really interesting question. Rather than just accept that now you have to hold their hands for at least 5 years longer than you thought you'd have to, why not explore ways to help your children grow and mature before they are 1/3rd of the way through their lives?! It's really a book about the American experience but reading it one of the most obvious things is these kids have been cloistered in a small unreal education experience. Once in the real world, they flounder. Well, clearly a bit more experience of the real world and a bit less obsessing over SATS is the first place to start.

Bimuno Stick Pack 30-sachets (Pack of 2 - 60 Satchets)
Bimuno Stick Pack 30-sachets (Pack of 2 - 60 Satchets)
Offered by Activecare Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Caution if you have problems with lactose intolerance., 24 Jun. 2015
I think this is a great product for some people. For me it made me painfully bloated and nauseous. Perhaps it's down to lactose intolerance...

Coleman's Laws. The Twelve Medical Truths You Must Know To Survive
Coleman's Laws. The Twelve Medical Truths You Must Know To Survive
by Vernon Coleman

4.0 out of 5 stars Light but fun, 25 April 2015
It was useful but a bit light.
Perhaps also look at the medical heretic.

Gruffalo (1DVD)
Gruffalo (1DVD)
by Axel Scheffler
Edition: Product Bundle

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly, madly translated, 25 April 2015
This review is from: Gruffalo (1DVD) (Product Bundle)
I was really keen to have this in French, so I was delighted at first.

However, the French translations aren't very good and what's worse is there are 3 different versions - the book text is not the same as the voiceovers, even the subtitles don't match the voices, it's loony. The original is so high quality, it's a shame to see this done so badly. Even the text in the (very small) book is badly laid out, crammed together.

Here I am
Here I am
by Patti Kim

2.0 out of 5 stars Comic-style confusing, 25 April 2015
This review is from: Here I am (Paperback)
I found the style very much like a comic - for me that means very unreadable and very unclear. The style is more readable for older children, I'd say 10+.

Tuttle Japanese for Kids Flash Cards (Tuttle Flash Cards)
Tuttle Japanese for Kids Flash Cards (Tuttle Flash Cards)
by Timothy G. Stout
Edition: Cards

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, 25 April 2015
I like the idea but the execution is crazy.

First of all the japanese words, often long sentences appear on the CD before the English translation, so you're hearing meaningless sounds but by the time you find out what it was about, you've no time to absorb it, or work out which words meant what because you're onto the next thing. The examples are totally mental as well - I'm not joking things like saying my scissors are blue.

Escape From Childhood: The Needs and Rights of Children
Escape From Childhood: The Needs and Rights of Children
by John C. Holt

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting journey, if you are prepared to work on your attitudes., 25 April 2015
I love all of John Holt's books. This is has been the most challenging for me. I found myself resisting a lot of his ideas initially and then very much enjoyed examining the value of my objections - most of which I had to reassess very deeply.

This is not a book you can leap into, you need to have done a lot of thinking first, a lot of challenging of your own first assumptions before you can get the most out of it. I don't think I'm ready to agree with every suggestion he makes but I think the longer I think about it, the more I move in that direction. I found it very interesting both for it's ideas and for what it revealed to me about my own prejudices and assumptions.

What a loss that he's no longer in the world!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10