Profile for FastHand > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Blues For The Modern Daze
Blues For The Modern Daze

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BLUESMAN AT THE VERY TOP OF HIS CRAFT, 26 April 2012
I'm ashamed to say that I went to see Walter Trout for the first time last year and he literally blew me away. I was exhausted but very elated when I left the Shepherds bush theatre as here I had witnessed truly one of the all time great blues guitarists who was not afraid to show his emmotions through his guitar playing. He plays very loud and fast blues but can also tease out of his Fender guitar some very soulful and emmotional blues.
This album "Blues for the modern Daze" has a perfect balance of both styles which complements the album and makes for great listening. I guarantee you will not be bored. One of the tracks "Pray for rain" is just Walter and an old second hand acoustic guitar he bought for fifty dollars still with original strings and recorded in mono to sound like an old time 30's blues song. That contrasts beautifully with "Brothers Keeper" which is a loud soulful guitar solo in which Walter makes the guitar soar and talk as if it's spitting out at you the feelings that come from within. Walter played in the 60's with canned heat, then joined John Lee Hooker's band and then went on to follow Peter Green and Eric Clapton in John Mayall's band. Yes this man is certainly up there with the best of them and in my opinion is certainly underated. When you hear this album you're under no illusion it's a talented guitar player you're listening to as he is right out there in front giving his all and not hiding behind other band members, as in my opinion, so many other guitarists do frequently these days.
As you have guessed by now I like Walter a lot and I think you will like this smashing Blues album.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 10:09 PM GMT

Night Life - Live In Holland
Night Life - Live In Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRULY AMAZING BLUESMAN, 29 Mar. 2012
This is a great live album played by a man who really enjoys what he does and to quote Danny " I just want to be a working Bluesman because this is what I love, That's all it's ever been". That says it all and it really shows on this album.
He rips into the first track "Tell Me" showing he has complete control of his guitar as it crackles and whines, then gently caresses and teases the notes out on "Love of Angels" "My Baby's a superstar" "Knocking on heavens door" and "Always with me". All but three of the tracks are written by Danny. I don't think you can really appreciate an artist until you've heard them live and only then can you admire their true talent. I've been waiting for Danny to bring out a live album and this certainly does'nt disappoint. There are only three musicians on this album, Danny vocals and guitar, his dad Ken on bass, and Trevor Barr on drums, so there's no where to hide but why would you he's brilliant.
The album ends with "Always with me" twelve minutes long. It starts slowly with Danny tickling and coaxing the notes out before tempting you with short bursts of soaring guitar before subsiding back to his delicate soulful playing before ending on a high. The album is soulful and played with a lot of feeling. Eric should take note. A wonderful live blues album by a very underrated artist, get it and you wont be disapponted.

Live At The Notodden Blues Festival
Live At The Notodden Blues Festival

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID DRIVING BRITISH BLUES, 24 Mar. 2012
Fab British blues at it's best. This style of British blues started in the sixties and made Blues popular. It has rhythm all through it and thus the name R@B ( rhythm and blues ) was evolved until it was stolen by some other genre. I guarantee you will be tapping your toe right through it. The stars on this brilliant live album are Bob Hall, Kim Simmons, Tom McGuinness, Long John Baldry, Peter Green, Colin Allen, Gary Fletcher and Steve Beighton. Recorded at the Notodden blues festival in holland it captures the atmosphere beautifully.
The late great Long John Baldry and the the legend Peter Green appear. Unfortunately Long John Baldry passed away not too long after this album was completed so it must have been one of his last live performances, and his voice as always does not disappoint. The guitar playing is superb and the rhythm section drives this album along to a stonking foot tapping atmosphere guaranteed to get you on to the edge of your seat. One of the best live blues albums I've heard in a long time. Get it if you like your blues fast and loud with great guitar solos and brilliant piano playing.

Songs for Beginners: (CD+DVD)
Songs for Beginners: (CD+DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE SONGS BUT NOTHING OUTSTANDING, 10 Feb. 2012
I have always been a big C.S.N. fan but never got round to listening to " Songs for Beginners" until now. I'm afraid the album did not excite me enough to write gushing tributes neither did I hate it enough not to ever play it again. How many times I play it is another matter. It still has those C.S.N. qualities but it left me a little cold. Maybe my expectations were too high having read the excellent reviews. "Sleep song" is a beautiful song so on the strengh of that song alone I'm glad I purchased the album. "Chicago" and "We can Change the World" are nice songs for want of another desciption and finish the album well. Maybe I was a little disappointed because I've been spoilt by the excellent C.S.N. and C.S.N. and Young albums but on the strengh of the track "Sleep Song" I'm glad I purchased it.

The First Days of Spring
The First Days of Spring
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars LOU REED MEETS RAY DAVIES AND PINK FLOYD, 13 Jan. 2012
This album is a vast improvement on their last "Peacful the World lays me down." It's moody and very atmospheric and some of the tracks remind me a touch of Pink floyd. Some of the tracks would be well suited to Lou Reed and also Ray Davies as Charlie Finks ( whom I assume is the lead singer, album notes are apalling) voice does vary from track to track. Charlie Fink who wrote all the songs does sound like a troubled soul who has just split up from a bit of skirt, but maybe that's what he needs to write some memorable songs. The album is beautifully produced and I shall definately be playing it a few times.

Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down
Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED AFTER THE HYPE, 13 Jan. 2012
I purchased this on the strengh of the reviews that I had read and I must say that I was disapponted after all the hype. The songs were weak and had no strong melodies that made me want to play it again, although I have but with the same responce. It's ok and that is about it. If I was playing my music system on random then I would accept one track but not a whole c.d.
Other reviewers said the lead singers voice was similar to Tom Petty but I could'nt hear it, Lou Reed and Ray Davies certainly spring to mind but not Tom Petty. On the the whole a pretty average album with no real strong melodies.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars NO REAL STANDOUT SONGS A BIT BORING, 3 Jan. 2012
I was looking forward to listening to noel's new album but was left somewhat disappointed. I liked some of Oasis tracks and hoped that some of that song writing talent might be conveyed onto this new album but I was wrong. There is a slight similarity to the Kinks on one track and also a beatle-esque style number but on the whole the remainder of the album was some what tedious.
If I'm honest then I was pleased when the album ended as I was bored, as there are no real standout songs. At the moment I don't feel I want to play the album again. If a track was to come on when I'm playing my Ipod on random then maybe it could be tolerated but to listen to the whole album in its intirety would bore me. Sorry Noel.

Heaven
Heaven
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A SUMPUOUS AND DELICIOUS SOUL VOICE FAB, 7 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
It's very rare that you buy an album and like every track and want to play it again and again. This is just one of those albums. Rebecca has a sumpuous and delicous voice full of soul. She has co written every one of these tracks and there is not one duff one amongst them. Track one "Nothing's real but love" is beautiful. Track four "Fairytale(let me live my life this way)" could have been straight out of the Tamla Motown era. Track six "Fighting suspicions" starts slowly and sounds like an old classic jazz standard before going into a modern beat with a great brass and string section before finishing as it started, absolutly wonderful. Track seven "Teach me how to be loved" is just a piano and cello and rebecca's soulful voice, a classic beautiful song.
I could'nt pick a favorite track as I like them all and that is rare. The album is not too over produced and has a great even balance which allows Rebecca's voice to shine out. I am writing this review whilst listening to the album for a fourth time and I haven't been so impressed by an album and a singers voice for a very very long time. Oh yes I do have one citicism, it is only 35 minutes long and I want to hear more so I can't wait for her next production. This album is going to be huge beleive me.

Mylo Xyloto
Mylo Xyloto

3.0 out of 5 stars I WILL NOT BE RUSHING TO PLAY IT AGAIN, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
It's ok and that is about it. If I had heard it playing without knowing who it was then I would never have guessed it was Coldplay. There are no memorable tracks and it is much too much over produced reminiscence of Phil Spectors wall of sound. There are no lovely ballads, maybe I've been spoilt by their classic "Fix you" which was spell binding. I did'nt hate it enough to want to stop playing it, but at the same time I certainly do not feel excited enough to play it again. As one other reviewer stated it feels as if it was rushed out to keep the army of fans happy as they will buy it anyway just as I did. Sorry lads not one of your best.

Ashes & Fire
Ashes & Fire
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, he's back, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Ashes & Fire (Audio CD)
I don't what demons has possessed Ryan as his albums since "Heartbreaker" and "Gold" certainly have'nt been up to the standards you would expect from a super song writer. I reluctantly purchased "Ashes and Fire" and was very pleasantly surprized. This album is beautifully produced by Glyn Johns famous for his work with the Stones and Dylan and it has certainly brought out the best in Ryan.The songs are of a very similar type all through, ballads and love songs, but because they are so well written it works beautifully. His voice comes from his gut through his heart to capture the honesty of the words that he sings as if he has lived every moment. I really loved this and hopefully he is now back on track and I can't wait to hear more, like the beautifully titled last track "I love you but I don't know what to say" get it and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8