Profile for Mme Jennings > Reviews

Content by Mme Jennings

Mme Jennings (France)

Page: 1 | 2
Bake Me a Cake as Fast as You Can: Over 100 super easy, fast and delicious recipes
by Miranda Gore Browne

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for Errors!!, 20 Mar. 2015
I've made the 5 minute sticky malt loaf, which turned out great, the heavenly chocolate cake which was so enormous (it looked rediculous stacked in 3 layers) I made it into 2 cakes and gave one away. But now I've started noticing errors, Here in France Speculoos are all the rage and looked forward to making the recipe headed Speculoos Cake on page 118 for a party I was attending..... only it isn't a Speculoos cake, the ingredients are for a chocolate & cardamom type cake. I've looked through the whole book and can't find Speculoos listed in any ingredients.
Worst of all, I wanted to make the Simple Little Gingerbread Cakes on page 58, but there is no flour listed in the ingredients. I emailed Miranda Gore Browne, then her publisher Edbury Press, I even wrote a message on Miranda's Facebook page to ask for the type & quantity of flour and after 3 weeks no one has bothered to reply. So..... not sure how much faith I have in this book anymore.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2015 5:09 PM GMT

Dropworld Toffee Caramella Liquorice 1 Kg
Dropworld Toffee Caramella Liquorice 1 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Devine!, 19 Mar. 2015
These are really good, caramel and liquorice are clearly made for each other, I keep them in a jar and only have a few at a time, if I had the bag in my hands.....well........

I will be ordering more so please keep stocking them Amazon.

The Remains of the Day
The Remains of the Day
by Kazuo Ishiguro

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Remains of the Day (Paperback)
Beautifully written. I enjoyed every page.

Road to Valour: Gino Bartali - Tour de France Legend and World War Two Hero
Road to Valour: Gino Bartali - Tour de France Legend and World War Two Hero
by Aili McConnon

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never forget this book & have recommended it to many cycling friends, 1 Nov. 2014
What a read! How this hasn't been made into a film I do not know. Still, perhaps one day.

These days many sports people are labelled 'Hero' but Gino Bartali really was a hero, he risked his life to save others from persecution & death. I'll never forget this book & have recommended it to many cycling friends.

Kenco Millicano Refill 85 g (Pack of 6)
Kenco Millicano Refill 85 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov. 2014
Great coffee & at a price that beats all supermarkets here in France.

In Pursuit of Stardom: Les Nomades du Velo Anglais
In Pursuit of Stardom: Les Nomades du Velo Anglais
by Tony Hewson

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov. 2014
Brilliant book if you love cycling. Wish I could have raced in that era.

ADDIS Superdry Airer
ADDIS Superdry Airer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 1 Nov. 2014
Great dryer, easy to move & store. Would definitely recommend. A great product for a wheelchair user.

Zyliss Swivel Stainless Steel Peeler - Black and White
Zyliss Swivel Stainless Steel Peeler - Black and White

Excellent peeler.

Heinz Lemon and Black Pepper Salad Cream 295 g (Pack of 10)
Heinz Lemon and Black Pepper Salad Cream 295 g (Pack of 10)

Delicious!

Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes
Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes
by Biju Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper food on the move., 23 Aug. 2014
This book is just the ticket because, as a keen cyclist, I loath energy gels (like taking cough mixture) and energy bars are expensive. Also I never feel like I'm eating proper 'food'. I live in rural France and you can never rely on bakeries, cafes etc being open & 3 hours plus in the saddle can leave you feeling terrible when you can't replace the burned calories.

These little parcels of proper food are terrific, prepared in advance and stored in the fridge, you can make enough for several days training. They are all pretty simple, not huge lists of ingredients, some items are clearly American, but they are available online. I've made the Denver Rice Cakes on page 72 and I have to stop myself from scoffing the lot! Some recipes are made in a baking tray, then cut up and wrapped in foil, others use a muffin tin to create mini portions. All in all, one of the most useful books I've bought in ages.

There are many pages around the science of nutrition in sport and I can't say that I'll be absorbing all that info any time soon. but still, it's there if I want to train harder or progress in future.

An update----

Anyone looking for Grits, just replace with dry polenta (but not the one labeled 'fine')

Page: 1 | 2