Profile for ComicsFangirl > Reviews

Content by ComicsFangirl

ComicsFangirl "ComicsFangirl" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
OS Explorer OL17 Snowdon & Conwy Valley (OS Explorer Map)
OS Explorer OL17 Snowdon & Conwy Valley (OS Explorer Map)
by Ordnance Survey
Edition: Map

1.0 out of 5 stars You had one job OS., 9 Mar. 2017
Bought for the digital download. Doesn't work. So sick of buying products that don't do what they say. And no way to contact the seller directly via Amazon. You had one job OS.

Poltergeist: The Legacy (Complete Collection) - 23-DVD Box Set ( Poltergeist: The Legacy (Series 1-4) )
Dvd ~ Derek de Lint

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy Goods, Expensive Mistake, 4 Nov. 2016
I've waited a long time for this series to become available in the UK and spent a lot of money on the box set. I wish I hadn’t. The 'new' discs I received are covered in scratches. The image quality is so poor it’s barely watchable. The playback stalls, stutters, and pixilates so much it’s hard to believe that these are genuine transfers. On top of that, I had to pay a Customs Fee of £11.20 to pick up my package. The charge was made because, when the package was opened for a random check, the contents were found to exceed the value stated by the sender. The sender listed the value as £20.50. I actually paid £132.45. When I complained, the company said “we didn't watch this particular title ourselves, we can't comment on its quality”. When I continued to protest, they tried to blame my equipment. I explained that the discs were so shoddy that I had to try four machines before I could get them to playback - they won’t play on my computer at all. Presumably because they're not properly coded. Their reply? “Thank you for confirming that the discs do play.” Unbelievable. They also pointed out that I'd complained about their products before. I've bought hundreds of DVDs over the years and can count the number of complaints I've made on the fingers of one hand. So, the fact that I've apparently complained about them before speaks volumes for the quality of their merchandise. Shoddy goods, shoddy customer service. Avoid like the plague.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2016 12:39 PM GMT

More Care Hiking Climbing Tool Carabiner Clip Tiger Hook Lock
More Care Hiking Climbing Tool Carabiner Clip Tiger Hook Lock

1.0 out of 5 stars How slow?, 17 Mar. 2016
Not very well made and took a month to arrive. Not impressed.

Green Hand (Bello)
Green Hand (Bello)

1.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps there's a good story in there but life is simply too short ..., 31 July 2014
Whatever happened to the art of writing - or at least the art of editing? This book is so badly written that I couldn't get past the second page. Perhaps there's a good story in there but life is simply too short to spend reading and rereading the appalling prose and badly constructed sentences to try work out what the author's talking about. If you're interested in buying this book then don't expect too much. With low enough standards, you might even finish it.

The Beetle and Other Works by Richard Marsh (Unexpurgated Edition) (Halcyon Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great writer another terrible Kindle purchase, 12 Feb. 2014
Richard Marsh is one of the forgotten 'greats' of Victorian Literature and The Beetle outsold Dracula when it was first published. Shame then that the publisher of this Kindle edition has merely junked together Marsh's collected works without bothering to proof read the text or layout the pages. Come on guys! It's great to be able to read these classics again but Kindle publishing shouldn't be just a quick money making exercise. Have some professional pride! Have you any idea how frustrating it is to tap through an ebook, one page at a time, trying to find the start of a particular story that interests you but you can't find because the 'publishers' haven't bothered to provide a contents list with working links. Shabby job ... I recommend a visit to Project Gutenberg where you'll find Marsh's novels free.

Dinner at Deviant's Palace
Dinner at Deviant's Palace

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novel spoilt by bad proofing, 12 Feb. 2014
This early Powers reads and feels like vintage Philip K Dick... A quirky, post-apocalyptic novel which sees Powers playing with the sort of novel ideas that makes him such a readable author. My only complaint is that this Kindle edition is littered with typos - spelling mistakes, or a word which is correctly spelt but clearly the wrong word. Like a spell checker reading thee for the. It makes for a frustrating read and really isn't acceptable when you're paying top dollar. This is the third early Powers I've bought on Kindle because I have problems holding paperbacks these days. Every one was poorly proof-read. Why? I assume that someone must proof the paperbacks before they go to print so why not give Kindle readers the same consideration.

Melmoth the Wanderer (Annotated)
Melmoth the Wanderer (Annotated)

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle buyers beware, 25 Dec. 2013
I've been a Kindle owner for six months now and absolutely love the device. However what I don't love is lazy e-publishers who charge you money for texts that haven't been proofed or edited. In the case of Melmoth the Wanderer, it seems that many publishers have simply grabbed the very abridged sample (freely available on Gutenberg) and published it as the full novel. Melmoth is a big read - 700 plus pages in the penguin edition - so buyer beware! Publishers who are offering just 50-70 pages are not offering the full novel!

Mallard - Steam's Ultimate Speed Machine ( Official N.R.M product ) [DVD]
Mallard - Steam's Ultimate Speed Machine ( Official N.R.M product ) [DVD]
Offered by Black Wolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars A Steam Spectacular, 15 Nov. 2013
75 years after it made its public debut, the Mallard is still winning hearts and minds - and it's easy to see why. Built in 1938, the Number 4468 Mallard London and North Eastern Railway Class A4 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive (to give it its full title) is simply a beautiful piece of engineering. It was the locomotive's 126 MPH run in 1938 which secured it a place in the history books, but it was its sleek lines and graceful power which appealed to both passengers and rail crew alike. Jonathan Brind's superb DVD, captures all the excitement and romance of this darling of the Steam Age and the people who were part of her story. Although sadly the Mallard hasn't been seen on British rails for 25 years, the DVD contains plenty to get rail enthusiasts all steamed up about, including footage of the grand old lady under steam in the late 1980s. Interviews with the grandsons of both engineer Sir Nigel Gresley and driver Joseph Duddington add colour and detail to the tale. A steam buff's delight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 10:03 AM GMT

King of Flash Epson Compatible Full Set of High Yield Black (T1281)/ Cyan (T1282)/ Magenta (T1283)/ Yellow (T1284) Ink Cartridges. 1 x T1285 Multipack Set
Offered by KING OF FLASH

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 18 Nov. 2011
I'd just bought a new printer and, as the black ink was getting low, I started to look for a cheaper alternative to the genuine Epson printer inks. I chose King of Flash because they reviewed well. What an expensive mistake that was! When the inks arrived, I replaced the black, but my printer wouldn't recognise it. I emailled King of Flash and they responded very quickly. They explained that the ink would only work if all the cartridges were King of Flash. If your printer is like mine, then the print carriage has to be in a certain position before you can remove the inks. It won't position the carriage for ink removal if can't detect the inks. So task number one was removing the perfectly good, very expensive Epson colour inks while the print carriage was in the wrong position. I eventually managed. Initially the printer still wouldn't recognise them, then it suddenly started working. However, the 'new' cartridges were half full. They worked for a week then my printer stopped printing in any colour other than red. I tried all the usual trouble shooting - restarting, cleaning the print heads, etc - at which point my printer informed me that it didn't recognise the cartridges (again). So, I now had to remove the ink (again) with the print carriage in the wrong position. I'm now about to buy my third set of ink. I did get a full refund, but as I'm out of pocket for a set of colour Epson cartridges and (possibly) a printer it's been a very, very costly experience.

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter [DVD] [1973]
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Horst Janson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Appalling Transfer, 6 Oct. 2011
Having waited 20 years to see this film again, I now wish I'd waited a few more years. At least long enough for until a decent DVD transfer to become available. Hammer really aught to be ashamed of themselves. They're damaging their reputation and letting fans down by allowing such poor quality DVDs out onto the market with their name on. Frankly this is virtually unwatchable. And what a shame because this is a really great film. A little slow by modern standards, but bursting with ideas and great characters. Buy with caution.

Page: 1 | 2