Profile for Mr. Andrew R. Hamilton > Reviews

Content by Mr. Andrew R. ...

Mr. Andrew R. Hamilton "Andy Hamilton" (avon)

Household Worms
Household Worms
by Stanley Donwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Donwood is a master of the macabre, 5 July 2016
This review is from: Household Worms (Paperback)
I find the amazon way of reviewing things rather limited, "loved it", is perhaps not something you'd want say about this book. "Disturbed me to the core" - Five Stars or, "I won't sleep well tonight"! Would be rather more appropriate. These short stories are from the mind of someone who would trouble even the most seasoned psychiatrist. But yet, each one is utterly compelling.

Donwood is a master of the macabre and from cannibalistic dishwashers to valleys full of freshly christened amputees here he is at his most gruesome best.

Glastonbury Festival Myths and Legends
Glastonbury Festival Myths and Legends
by Marc Leverton

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 18 Dec. 2015
I've bought a few gift books over the years (for myself), my favourite being the little Book of Calm. Something you can put on the shelf in the bathroom and flick to when you are passing a few moments. This is one of those books and yet, just like the little book of calm, it is clear the author has spent a great deal of time researching and carefully selecting his words. There are some brilliant titbits of information; did you know the best view of the pyramid stage is from a double bed or that some ticket-less revellers once snuck into the festival by portaloo, only to find themselves in the security area!

A funny and well researched little book. Well done Marc.

500 Beers
500 Beers
by Zak Avery

5.0 out of 5 stars A beer tasters book, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 500 Beers (Hardcover)
Zak's presence in the beer world is rather underestimated, he runs an excellent bottle shop near Leeds, runs the Leeds home brewers association, beer tasting evening, won beer writer for the year (for this book) and just seems to pop up with anything to do with beer in the North of England.

It is for these reasons that Zak has written a book for the avid beer taster. Indeed, if you want to learn how to taste this is the book for you. Zak very simply tells you how then offers 500 beers that will help you develop your tastebuds, he even tells you where to buy them!

Foraging: The Essential Guide to Free Wild Food
Foraging: The Essential Guide to Free Wild Food
by John Lewis-Stempel

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cookbook for foragers, 31 Aug. 2012
Length:: 3:56 Mins

It's about time there was a really good foragers recipe book out there and I have to hand it to John he's done a good job and he has beaten me to it. As a foraging teacher and author of Booze for free I can see that I will be recomending this book!
Booze for Free

Grow Your Food for Free (Well Almost)
Grow Your Food for Free (Well Almost)
by Dave Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars I tried not to like it, 19 Jun. 2011
Having a bit of healthy competiton with Dave (I'm his twin and author of Booze for Free) I tried to find fault with this book, I really did. Instead I was very impressed as its very well written and is a very useful book - bah, he's done it!

I think it's more than just a book about budget gardenening, it is a good gardening book full stop. It really shows that Dave has been studying then teaching sustainable gardening for the last couple of years whilst on top of that hanging out with some of the best gardening writers we have in the UK at the moment. They all seem to hang out in Totnes (where Dave lives)!

Little things like what to look for on pallets to show that they could leach chemicals into your compost are the hidden gems in his book. It's one of those books that you can't help going "ahhh" when you read instead of some of the other gardening books where you are saying to yourself, "I've read that before".

So, take this review as it comes. It could sound biased coming from the author's twin brother - but believe me we are very competitive; I would have no qualms giving him a 2 star review if I thought this book deserved it (I'd not be mean enough to give family a one star review). In fact I would relish giving it a rubbish review if I thought it deserved it. It simply doesn't.

Wild Drugs: A forager's guide to healing plants
Wild Drugs: A forager's guide to healing plants
by Zoe Hawes

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for well, everyone!, 26 May 2010
Some foraging books have rubbish pictures but good content, some have really good pictures but no real substance. This book is different it has it all! It covers when to look for plants, has superb photos of what they look like, loads of folklore which helps give a story to remember plants by, size of plants so you know what to look for, lookalikes so you know what not to look for and where the plants grow. As a person who takes people on wild plant identification walks this book could put me out of a job!
Everyone gets ill and everyone gives a fortune to drug companies, don't bother and get this book instead. I could not reccomend this book any more.

The Wild Life: A Year of Living on Wild Food
The Wild Life: A Year of Living on Wild Food
by John Lewis-Stempel

5.0 out of 5 stars Every forager should read this, 19 May 2010
I take people on wild food walks, introducing them to the plants around them and letting them know their culinary uses. I know I shall be quoting from this book and I will be trying out some of the recipes too.

It was not at all what I expected, seeing the front cover and I guess carrying a prejudice about men in tweed who carry guns and live in the country. I was glad to have this prejudice shattered.

We might talk about our hunter gatherer ancestors and I doubt many of us really try to engage with what that really means, this book helps us to connect with our food and the beauty and brutality that is our surroundings and what shaped us as homosapians. It is a book who's stories will stay with me and I am thankful it was written, I will not be lending it out!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 7:27 PM GMT

Real England: The Battle Against the Bland
Real England: The Battle Against the Bland
by Paul Kingsnorth

5.0 out of 5 stars England just a suburb of Milton Keynes, 29 Sept. 2008
I have been aware of Paul Kingsnorth's presence for sometime, occasionally reading his blog. I thought he really shone as a columnist, presenting the reader with small ideas to digest. I was unsure if he could keep up his enthusiasm throughout a whole book. I am glad to say that he certainly can.

We might be getting nostalgic about an England of yesteryear but as Paul states it is still around us we just have to look. In saying that we have to do more than look and actively stop shopping at some of the biggest shops and online sources. We are in danger of having one big shop that sells everything and being a nation of shoppers rather than shop keepers.

Read this book and don't let England become just a suburb of Milton Keynes.

How green Are My Wellies?: Small Steps And Giant Leaps To Green Living With Style
by Anna Shepard

4.0 out of 5 stars My Bathroom has literature, 27 Aug. 2008
I always think that the toilet is a place to learn. This book sits neatly in my bathroom next to my dictionary. It is a great book for dipping into and reading her take on environmental issues. Unlike many of the books in this area it's not preachy and you get the real feel of her enthusiasm for the subject.

Crap at the Environment
Crap at the Environment
by Mark Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Do I really have to give up Cheese?, 6 Aug. 2008
Mark Watson might be preaching to the converted as far as I am concerned, being as I am already a green writer and campaigner. That aside I would have no trouble giving this book to my less than green friends or relatives.

Even I learnt a thing or two from this book, well to put it another way I was re-told a thing or two I had conveniently forgotten. Such as methane being 25 times more damaging than co2, making me drastically consider my cheese intake.

The book might not be as high energy as some of Watson's stand up but it is a bloody book. It is however funny, light hearted and has the feel of chatting in the park rather than being preached at.

If you are green and your mates are crap buy it for them but make sure that you read it first.