Profile for judephf > Reviews

The Collaborator
The Collaborator
by Margaret Leroy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent novel, 18 May 2016
This review is from: The Collaborator (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this for the second time (first read it four years ago) and I love the way it flows so easily from one page to another, one chapter to another and it is so hard to put it down when you really need to put the light out and get some sleep !
The story is as described here by everyone else in their reviews so no point in recapping on it yet again but it is one that you can understand (even if none of us have experienced the same hardships of surviving during wartimes) and the emotional thread of this book reaches out and binds you in immediately.
The relationship between Vivienne and Gunther is understandable and their emotions and actions are written so well you believe them to be real people. Have a tissue to hand is all I can advise.

The Lives She Left Behind
The Lives She Left Behind
by James Long

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel to a great book, 22 Mar. 2016
I read Ferney many years ago, when it was first published, and loved it (I love anything that has to do with 'past lives') and I loved the relationship that developed between the two main characters and which had been going on over the many years of their lives and the way they keep meeting again and again.
I discovered this particular book in a '£1 shop' of all places and it was the author's name I recognised initially and which made me pick it up to see what it was about so I was delighted to read the blurb and discover it was a sequel to Ferney. However, I do think it's a pity it wasn't entitled Gally as that would've immediately rung bells with me !
I love the way the story picks up immediately from where the first one finished and so lots of things I had 'forgotten' from the first book came back to me and it was very satisfying to see it all fall into place. These are both books I return to time after time to re-read and which I would never give away but I think I love the first book more as it was just so very special.

Firefly Lane
Firefly Lane
by Kristin Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars So enjoyable, 8 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Paperback)
Just finished reading this and it is a great book. i hadn't heard of Kirstin Hannah before - but now checking on amazon I'm amazed at how many others she has written so I'll be ordering more.
There's a lot more to this story than what you expect from reading the back cover and delves into the girls' lives over many years taking them from their meeting originsally in their early teens through to their forties.
This is the sort of book I love to discover, something that has a lot of meat to the bones and just keeps on unfolding and unfolding and even when you think you've read loads it's with great satisfaction to realise you're only halfway through the book and there is still lots more book still to come !
Good ending (if it can be described that way) and even then although the ending is inevitable the final chapters are still meaty and round within the story. It doesn't just cut off. You won't be disappointed if you buy this book and I don't think I'll be disappointed if I buy some of her other books to read either.

The Woman In The Fifth
The Woman In The Fifth
by Douglas Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping novel, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Woman In The Fifth (Paperback)
I have loved Douglas Kennedy since I was introduced to him through 'The Pursuit of Happiness' and I think 'The Woman in the Fifth' is brilliant and I'm surprised at some of the more 'negative' reviews on here.
As always the central character in the novel is down on his luck but in this novel he seems to be further down that most. I totally loved, and similarly was also repelled by the harsh underbelly of the Paris he has to live in and the lager than life characters he comes up against time after time and he gets pushed back every time it looks like his luck is on the turn for the good but it is not to be.
Kennedy's writing is so graphic that you are there experiencing everything the central character goes through. Yes, there is a bit of an off-beat twist to the novel which is not the norm but I think I loved it even more for that.
I have raved about this book and recommended it to so many people and it is one that continually stays with me subsconciously and which I have gone back and re-read more than once. Kennedy is a master writer and I just love his books. Please read it for yourself and don't let other reviews put you off.

small cooling fan - 14cm - can expand double its size!
small cooling fan - 14cm - can expand double its size!
Offered by Indiabazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fan, 12 Jun. 2014
I used to have one of these years ago as a child and I thought it would be a nice change to have this to hold instead of a 'noisy' battery operated mini fan.
It arrived promptly on the date advised. The 'handle' is painted black tin and nothing special as such but it does house the fan when folded up so it's utilitarian. It has a catch at the bottom to fasten around the ends of the handle which either keeps it closed or keeps it open. It's nice and small and takes up no space in my bag or pocket.
But a really cheap price for a lovely (heavy) paper fan. I would imagine the design on the front varies so pot luck as to what you get but nothing to complain about.

Ga Gadgets BLACK Portable Metal (with metal blade) USB Retro Desk Fan for PC , Laptop ,Ultrabook, Chromebook, Apple Macbook , iMac
Offered by Techccessorize UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little fan, 12 Jun. 2014
I received this fan a couple of days ago to use at work and so far nothing to complain about at all. It's neat, well built and sturdy with a lovely black metal cage and silver metal fan blades and it quietly hums away on top of my computer tower. Not noisy at all and no rattles or anything like that.
There's not a massive breeze coming off it (at the moment it's probably about 3 or 4 feet from my face) but enough to provide a cooling feeling and I can move it closer as and when I need to when the days get hotter. I wish I could get it with a 3-pin plug on it too for one for my bedroom as it's so quiet !
Really pleased with my purchase and glad I spent the extra money and bought this one and not one at half the price. It also arrived a day earlier than the given date, which was only about 5 days after I ordered it so that was great.
Cannot fault this buy at all, brilliant. Love it.

Cabochard Ambre De Cabochard Eau De Toilette Spray for Women 50ml
Cabochard Ambre De Cabochard Eau De Toilette Spray for Women 50ml
Offered by beauty-cosmos

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely perfume, 26 Mar. 2014
I bought this based partly on the price and also based on the reviews as I like a strong perfume and I wanted something to wear for work. I also love COCO by Chanel and one review mentioned that if you liked that you would like this and whilst there is no direct similarity it does fall into the same ballpark of strong, lingering perfumes. I would definitely buy again.

The Things We Never Said
The Things We Never Said
by Susan Elliot Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Engroissing book, 26 Mar. 2014
Bought this book on the back of reading the reviews online which sounded intriguing and I was more than happy with the story. I did find it took a little while to get into over the first couple of chapters which set the story and the characters but once I got that sorted out in my head I just wanted to keep on reading it.
I loved the way the story developed and you gradually realised how the two lives were going to become entwined - though not in the way I initially thought they were going to be !

Police Silver Handcuff Cufflinks
Police Silver Handcuff Cufflinks
Offered by Cuff-Daddy

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute, 6 Mar. 2014
Loved these and so did my boyfriend who is a policeman !
Well packaged and presented. All silver (hard to tell with the 'black' reflection in the main photo) and moveable chain. Really sweet pressie.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
by James Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute, 22 Feb. 2014
I'm a sucker for cats so who can reist that furry face. Love the story to it all as well. I didn't know anything about the guy or the story before I bought it and it was good to read about his struggle and subsequent success. I wish him continued success and development.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3