Profile for Mr. A. E. Hewitt > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. E. Hewitt

Mr. A. E. Hewitt "adam1985" (UK)

Final Fantasy X-2 - Platinum (PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 - Platinum (PS2)
Offered by musicMagpie

3.0 out of 5 stars My poor baby, what have they done to you?!, 13 Jan. 2006
First of all, let me make this clear: this is not Final Fantasy. This is a mission based sequel to the slightly dissapointing FF10, and not a true rpg, there just isn't enough story to justify the label 'rpg'.
The combat is too fast paced and confused, it seems as if square couldn't decide which system from previous games to use, and as such used them all at once. But FF never had the greatest combat systems, it was the story that made them great. This sequel has no story as such.
The game revolves around two of the worst characters from the prequel and a new female Squall type called Paine, with Yuna trying to find out what happened to Tidus after the end of FF10. Thats it, no side plots, no character development, no wondering the world looking for hidden bits of gaming.
Basically it removes everything that makes a final fantasy good and it leaves a rather dull and uninspiring mission based adventure game. The music is also awful.
Having said that,I'm sure people who haven't liked previous FF's will find this one much more to their liking, because of it's shorter, less complicated nature, but fans of the series will just ask why square have made the first poor FF game in history.
On a more positive note, the graphics are absolutely awesome, and, unlike many other people, I consider sequels to FF games to be a good idea. I for one would love to see sequels to FF8 & 9. Just don't do them this way.
Lets just hope FF12 and Dirge of Cerberus are better, I hate to think that tye series reached it's peak on the ps1.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2012 10:38 AM BST

Final Fantasy VII Platinum
Final Fantasy VII Platinum

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll be killed for this, but......, 13 Jan. 2006
This was my second experience of the FF series about 5 years ago, having played FF8 first, and to be honest I was dissapointed. I've been told it's because I played 8 first, apparently the first FF you play will always be your favourite, but let me explain before I get linched by the other reviewers.
I have no doubt that the storyline is as awesome as they say, and the graphics were good for the time, but try as I might I just could not get into it. I crawled towards the end of the first disc, and eventually gave up and traded it in. I was interested by the story but couldn't get to a point where it got going for me. I moved on, bought all the other FFs and enjoyed them, even 1 & 2. And never once did I consider giving FF7 another go.
Until now.
I bought a new copy of FF7 a few months ago, I don't know why, one minute I was in the shop, the next I was outside with the game and a perplexed look on my face. I haven't played it yet, but I plan to after finishing FF1, my latest project. And I have a sneaking feeling that when I do I'll find out why everyone else loves it so much, despite my previous experience. Maybe it's my age, I'm 20 now, and maybe I'll appreciate the story more than I did, I just don't know.
I'm waiting to see Advent Children with bated breath, and can't wait for the imminent re-make on the PS3, it seems that without even playing it I've been caught up in FF7 and the frenzy that comes with it. I have no explanation but one things for certain, when I finally put that first disc back in the drive for the first time, my opinions of it will change forever.
All hail FF7, another player waits to join your world, and for some reason, I can't wait.

Final Fantasy X: Platinum Edition (PS2)
Final Fantasy X: Platinum Edition (PS2)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough..., 13 Jan. 2006
Like many fans of the FF series, I was waiting for it's first outing on the ps2 with great anticipation. And when it came, well, I can't help being a little dissapointed. Maybe it's like a lot of people say, the FF game you play first will usually be the one you like the best. I've found this to be the case, while most fans found FFVIII disappointing to me it is awesome, my first experience in FF and nothing I've played since in the series has surpassed that.
So onto the game,
First the good points. Graphically the game is awesome, the FMV sequences are excellent and in game they are still very good, though FFX-2 has since surpassed them. For the first time the characters now speak, and while the acting at some points, especially the terminally inept Yuna, is a bit poor, the game benefiys from it overall, allowing you to connect a little more with the characters.
The battle system is another plus, with my favourite style of turn based fights, with enough additions from previous games to create a big improvement. The sphere grid is a refreshingly different way of levelling up, and being able to swap characters in fights adds more depth to combat.
The mini game, Blitzball is also a fun diversion from the main game.
FFX returns to the job system of earlier final fantasys, with Yuna being your White Mage, Lulu your Black Mage, Rikku your Thief etc, which is a good thing.
The storyline also starts well, and you can't help but get attached to the characters and feel for them when things get deep.
From what I've written you would think I love the game, but no, there are two huge negatives which spoil the game for me.
Firstly, it's an FF game, but it's linear! What made square do this is beyond me, but the world map of previous games has been scrapped, you now just wonder from place to place, being led by the nose, with no choices of where to go until near the end of the game. For those who haven't played other FF games this won't be a problem, but it makes me feel trapped and led, no longer can you run round the world on a Chocobo searching for treasure, or visit the Islands of Heaven and Hell with level 100 monsters. This is a huge negative, and the game suffers heavily for it.
The other big bad point is the storyline. While it starts well, things soon go downhill and get downright ridiculous. The games ending, most of all, is completely stupid, I won't spoil it for anyone here, but come on, give me a break! Through the game the story just degenerates into a farce, and the likeable characters and good battle system was the only thing that kept me playing.
These two huge problems are what stopped me from giving FFX the 5 stars many others have. I just can't overlook the negatives, as they spoil what has made the FF series so great. It's just too linear and farcical for me to love, as much as I want to!
All in all a very good game, but for an old FF fan like me it just isn't good enough. Newcomers to the series will undoubtably love it, but fans of the series may come away just a little dissapointed.
I've heard rumours about a possible sequal to FF8, and I'm going to wait to see if anything materialises, rather than lament at FF10, a very good game, but a missed oppurtunity to make a true epic.

Breath Of Fire 3
Breath Of Fire 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent classic, 13 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Breath Of Fire 3 (Video Game)
Right, first of all let me say that I have never actually comleted this game, as embarressed as I am to admit it. Despite having owned it on and off for the last 6 years, and getting to the final boss 3 times I just can't beat Myria! Unlike bof4 which was incredibly easy, bof3 is quite difficult, with some absolutely stonking boss fights, such as the above, the Bone Dragon and Teepo. After 6 years of trying finally beating Myria will be all the more special!
Graphically the game was nothing special when it came out, so nowadays it is vary dated, but they have ther own stylish charm which i still love.
The gameplay is the standard turn based action familiar to players of other breath of fires and early final fantasies. Normal battles are nice for a time, but by the time you cross the sea you'll be bored stiff of the normal fights. It's boss battles where the games excells. Most are very difficult and require a lot of forethought and advanced tactics, as such they never grow old.
Your main character here is a blue haired boy named Ryu, the poor little guy seems to have been born a mute as he never speaks in the game, leaving the conversation to the supporting cast around him, be it Rei and Teepo early on, or Momo, Nina and Garr later. However he is likeable in a way, the pathetic way he covers his eyes and flails his sword around when he attacks early in the game always makes me laugh! Fortunately his journey forces him to get a bit better as the games progresses, to the extent that he becomes your best fighter.
The story line is very good and at times quite deep and serious, and if you've played the other games of the series you'll spend a lot of time trying to fit this one into the timeline that the others inhabit. In my opinion this comes after breathof fire 2 and before dragon quarter, but that's just me.
Overall this is a charming and compelling traditional rpg that fans of turn based strategy and fans of the series will enjoy. If I'm honest, it's not quite up to the standard of Grandia or Final Fantasy 8 & 9, but it's a great game in it's own right and deserves more recognition in the west than it gets.
Welcome to breath of fire 3, enjoy the ride, at about 50 hours playing time you'll be here for a while!

Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS)

5.0 out of 5 stars near perfection!, 13 Jan. 2006
First of all, oh my god what a game this is! About 6 years ago it was the game that got me into rpg's and I've never looked back since.
Many people will tell you that 8 isn't as good as 7 or 6, siting the more futuristic setting and battle system as there reasons, I have to say I think this is rubbish, I have bought this game 4 times to date, I currently have two copies, a platinum edition to play, and an original to keep pristine!
The storyline is excellent, watching as Squall turns from a bit of a git to a compassionate and emotional individual is a journey in itself, and you'll find yourself really caring about most of the characters in the game, even Seifer comes across as a confused and lost individual, though he is the main villain for the first few discs.
This is the main strength of the game, it's storyline and character development are the best I've experienced in any final fantasy, and I've played 8 of them! The combat system is also sturdy and runs in the vein of other playstation final fantasy games with a few exceptions, which are where the few flaws of the game are apparent.
Rather than having magic points, your characters draw spells from points scattered around the world and from enemies in battle. This soon becomes tedious as fights with easy enemies tend to degenerate into drawing magic from them for half an hour before killing them. Your weopons and stats don't get much better as you gain levels, instead magic is junctioned to various stats to increase them. This is a good idea, but means that you very rarely, if ever, use magic, as any spent spells drop your stats. This system is badly flawed, Square I think understood this and has dropped it in ff games since then.
However, despite these flaws, the game remains an epic story and entertaining for it's 70 hour lifetime, which is a crtedit to it, as the magic system would have spoilt a lesser game. And yes it is a bit easy, but Omega Weapon on the final disc is a fight thats harder than anything I have experienced on any other game, so there aqre fights to challenge even experienced rpg'ers.
So all in all, buy it and enjoy it, in my opinion this is the peek of the series from a storyline point of view, so be warned, once you start, you won't be putting this down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 10:51 PM BST