Profile for Derek > Reviews

Content by Derek

Derek

Page: 1 | 2
iGadgitz Premium Wallet Flip Black PU Leather Case Cover for Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation 2015 XT1540 (G3) with Card Slots + Multi-Angle Viewing stand + Magnetic Closure + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars sound case, 24 July 2017
finally replaced the last one which lasted years was still fine but getting a little dog eared

Dax-Hub TFT High Resolution LCD video parking sensor Rear View System 4.3 inch LCD HD 1080P Dash Cam | Car Video Camera | driving recorder with Dual Lens for Vehicles Front & Rearview Mirror | DVR Vehicles with 170-degree Wide Angle Lens and G-Sensor for Auto-Recording (Dual Lens Mirror)
Offered by Dax Hub Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably good for the price., 25 April 2017
I bought this for a small van to provide a rear view for safety. The aspect ratio can be changed from 4:3 to 16:9 with the mode option and the menu allows you to play with contrast brilliance etc. The view is reversible so you can get camera view or mirror image as normal. The camera quality is fine but by its nature it makes vehicles appear further back than they are. A car 2 lengths behind looks more like 4 lengths behind in the camera. The head of the camera can be rotated by hand once fitted to turn the image the other way up. The ability to use the unit as a rear view mirror when the screen is not active however is questionable as I think it is simply too dark. The unit is nice and works well as a camera monitor but the instructions are near non existent, so I thought I would include some in my review to help out.
FITTING AND LEADS
The unit has sprung loaded legs to grip to your existing mirror and is nice and light so should be no issues with windscreen mounted mirrors unless you are very heavy handed. It grips well and does not vibrate on the move. From the unit there is a hard wired black lead 0.6m long going to a male mini DIN style connector. This lead is fine for passing into the headlining above the mirror. A female DIN style connector mates with this and give you 2.0m of cable to the other end. The other end has 1/ a red cable with inline fuse for your 12v power supply (switched from ignition), 2/ a blue cable for 12V supply from reverse switch, and 3/ two yellow RCA composite video connectors (one for any additional video feed you might add later and one to the camera extension lead). The camera extension lead is 6.0metres long, has yellow RCA connectors at either end and a red wire at each end for feeding power to the camera. The camera provided was a small round bullet style with hard wired lead 0.55m long ending in an RCA to join to the extension and a jack plug which mates to a the supplied 1.4m long camera power lead. This power lead is intended to connect to earth and to your reverse light 12v feed. Wired in this way would switch the camera view on whenever you select reverse.
WIRING OPTIONS
As I was fitting this to a car derived van with no rear view because of a bulkhead, I wired it differently. I found the 2.0metre power lead too tight to thread around the headlining, door pillar and hope to reach the centre console where I was taking ignition live power from the cigarette lighter. Therefore I fed a power supply cable up to the headlining/bulkhead and made all the joins up there. I used a single ignition live feed for everything, that is the red and blue feeds to the unit and the red feed to the camera extension lead. I sourced a suitable earth near the headlining and bulkhead. I mounted the camera on a rear door beside the number plate lights, taking the earth cable to ground on the door. I fed the video extension lead through the flexible gaiter between the van and the door then connected the extension live red wire to the camera feed and plugged in the RCA to the camera. For me this means when I switch on the van the unit displays the rear view until I switch off again.
CONCLUSION
Poor instructions and usability as an ordinary mirror lost this a mark. Otherwise I am pleased with the purchase, particularly at such a reasonable cost (£32.86). The end result is ideal for a van or small camper perhaps where it gives a view you just don't have otherwise. The picture quality is just fine and unlike another reviewer I find it easily bright enough. The overlaid parking bay grid is a bit annoying and I cannot see any way to disable it. I quickly came to ignore it on the go but realised it gives me an easy rule by which to gauge distance behind. I prefer hard wired to wireless for getting the video from the camera but suggest you string a line to make sure this has enough length of cable for your vehicle. I had almost 2 metres to spare on a Vauxhall Combo van but was joining cables in a box I put on the bulkhead behind the seats.

BW High Quality 12V 5A 60W DC Power Supply With a 4 Way CCTV Power Splitter Cable For CCTV Cameras ,LED Srip Light
Offered by DTV ELECTRONICS

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but be aware no kettle style power lead is included, 28 April 2015
THIS DOES NOT COME WITH A PLUG LEAD (KETTLE TYPE). I bought this for a CCTV system and it is doing a fine job as a replacement. It will run 24/7 and in first 48hrs seems reliable with no sign of instability or overheating.The small power LED is a helpful feature. My only criticism is of the listing itself. The listing omits any mention of a kettle lead but does not make it clear you will need to get one. I did notice this before ordering but next day on prime was more important to me. However, as so many power supplies have two pin power leads, not everyone will be able to use their old one in the new supply.

miaVILLA White Floating Shelf with 4 Drawers
miaVILLA White Floating Shelf with 4 Drawers

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but fitting is a pain, 11 Sept. 2014
Let me start with a real plus by saying the product looks lovely and is exactly what we wanted.
The make is Liamare, a German product at http://www.liamare.de/.
The price is a bit steep perhaps but for something unusual and very functional we were happy.
The delivery was around a week but we didn't know that as the listing says "usually 2-3 days" then the purchase page cites up to near enough a month.
Even when we got despatch notification with tracking number it bizarrely suggested we could still be waiting up to a further 3 weeks.
I think the seller needs to look at how the estimated dates are given. It almost stopped us ordering.
As for the product it looks really nice and is essentially a well finished set of MDF drawers on wooden runners.
Fitting required me to drill through the back behind the drawers in order to fix to the wall.
Here is what I consider a small design flaw!
The shelves foul against the head of a screw unless fully countersunk.
Given the weight, I didn't fancy mounting with anything less than cavity wall anchors which have domed screw heads.
I ended up countersinking the back of the relevant drawers to sit over the screw heads and therefore shut neatly and match each other.
We could not have lived with it otherwise. If you are not up to the adaptation I think you will be disappointed with the finished look.
I would suggest the manufacturer consider revising the pattern to simply provide small drawer stops at the back instead of the back of the unit being the drawer stop.
(thus giving room for all types of mounting without countersinking well into the back panel)
We also added some rubber mat into the bare drawers which is a real plus when family members drop keys into the drawers at unsociable hours.
In summary, a nice niche product we are happy with for its function and attractive look.
For the price however, I shouldn't have to do the extra woodwork, and it ought to have a more definite delivery window.

Hitachi CJ110MV Jigsaw 230V 720W with blade
Hitachi CJ110MV Jigsaw 230V 720W with blade

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth considering for professional or hobby use, 15 July 2014
One of the nicest jigsaws I have used. After a lot of use (7 months of fitting kitchens) my first one developed a vibration in the motor but amazon quickly swapped it. Well worth considering for professional or hobby use.

ChargerCity EasyBlade Car CD Slot Mount & Dedicated Garmin GPS Bracket Cradle for Nuvi 2407 2447 2448 2467 2497 2507 2508 2547 2548 2557 2567 2577 2597 2598 44 52 54 55 56 57 58 LM LMT LMTHD GPS *Includes Free ChargerCity Micro SD Memory Card Reader*
Offered by ChargerCity

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 15 July 2014
Been waiting for these to cross the pond from USA. Not disappointed - works very well. In CD slot can hinder access to other buttons on my dash so fitted it into a gap in the facia using correct tools to spread the gaps a little first. Secure with no wobble and wide view angles possible due to ball arrangement.

Perixx PX-3000 UK, Programmable Backlit Gaming Keyboard - 37 Macro Keys with 5 User Profile - 16 Million Customized Backlit Color - Anti-ghosting 19 Keys - Full Keyboard Remapping - 32Bit Controller with 512k Flash Memory - Macro Live Recording - UK English Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable backlit keyboard, 21 Sept. 2013
The narrow size was an important factor here for me because of the desk size restriction I have to work within.
Only 2 reviews when I bought mine but took a punt as price was reasonable.
First impressions are it is not flimsy and grips the desk well via ample pads and padded feet too.
The wrist pad section is not padded but a a matt finish plastic matching the frame, so no annoying reflections and does its job as you would expect.
Once you install the software from CD it rests in your notification area and lets you do way more than I need.
The backlit feature can go to ANY colour you want basically and is crisp and clear. I set mine to green but when dormant it drops to a lower red and then after a delay no light . All the querty, number and function keys (and two side light bars) light up in your chosen colour, except the space bar which is not backlit. The logo cycles colours but doesn't distract. The dial for brilliance or push for volume is blue lit round the rim and the Num Lock, Caps Lock etc is blue to the back right.
The keys are deep enough to have a traditional feel without being too clunky. Precision in game not a problem and as well as the scope to configure any of 37 buttons with presets, you can also make your own macro for a key.
The windows key can be just that, or can be a toggle between gaming configuration (with keys assigned as you like it) and standard setup.
Hope the review helps you decide

Midas Spiderex Spider Repellent Aerosol Spray for CCTV Cameras
Midas Spiderex Spider Repellent Aerosol Spray for CCTV Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Does it work? Well actually "Yes I think it does.", 25 Aug. 2013
Sceptical, but gave this a try to stop spiders basking on the heat of my CCTV infrareds.
Initial reaction was spiders jumping kamikaze off the wall and out of cracks to escape it. They really don't like this stuff.
The effect reduced over a couple of weeks (weather washing it off I imagine), so I sprayed the area about every fortnight.
After 4-5 times, and still with clear CCTV I forgot for a couple of months ands still had no spiders (no it wasn't a seasonal effect).
I suspect it had a lingering deterrent effect so still use it from time to time with only the very occasional spider web reappearing.
Not exactly a scientific study, but an encouraging outcome.

In another, but totally anecdotal endorsement, my elderly mother had me liberally spray round her bedroom window, and swears it has stopped spiders coming in.

LYL Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and simple to use., 25 Aug. 2013
Bought to read the basic codes on my Jaguar.
Like many car makes, there are some codes only available with specialised kit.
That said, this did the job just fine, coupled with the Torque android app on my phone and no problem to connect on Wi-Fi.

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245 MB/s FFP
SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245 MB/s FFP

5.0 out of 5 stars Way faster than usb2, 25 Aug. 2013
Bought this to speed up tediously slow large file transfers to/from my PC.
If you have a USB 3.0 port on your PC I highly recommend this drive.
At the time of buying this was getting the best reviews and headline data speeds and price was competitive.
I have not been disappointed with the speeds and have lost no data.
Comes with bundled software I don't use at present.
If buying, make sure you get the right one as I found a few advertised with almost identical name but were not this, apparently the best, version.
Hope the review helps you, but still advise you to research SanDisk for the specs yourself, as nothing stays the best for ever.

Page: 1 | 2