Profile for Chris In Bolton > Reviews

Content by Chris In Bolton

Chris In Bolton (Manchester UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Carnation Footcare Corn Caps x 10
Carnation Footcare Corn Caps x 10
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the product, 21 May 2015
Worked perfectly. It took 5 of these plasters, each left on for 2 days. After a couple of days the surrounding skin was getting damaged too, so I made a small hole in a piece of sellotape and applied that first; then the plaster on top. This shielded the surround skin.

Very pleased with the product.

Dulux 2.5 Litre Quick Dry Satinwood Paint - Pure Brilliant White
Dulux 2.5 Litre Quick Dry Satinwood Paint - Pure Brilliant White

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as similar paint from Crown., 21 May 2015
I had 6 doors to paint, plus door frames and surrounds. I started with a tin of similar paint by Crown. Two coats of paint from the 2.5L tin did 3 doors. instead of buying more Crown, I read the reviews here on Amazon and bought this Dulux which sounded great and was cheaper. So I think I can do a fair comparison between the two brands.

Crown: 2 coats covered black felt pen writing on door. Went on smoothly with roller, no smell at all. Dried quickly with nice smooth surface. Bright white finish.

Dulux: 3 coats did not cover the black; pen still shows through. Went on smoothly with roller, nasty smell. Dried quickly, but with orange peel effect; quite rough surface. Compared to the Crown paint, this is a slightly yellow white.

I would probably have been happy with it had I not just done this direct comparison. As it is I dislike this paint and wish I'd paid just a few pounds more for the Crown.

EDIT: In fairness I have returned to this review and added an extra star. Using a paint brush instead of a roller, this Dulux paint is fine; goes on smoothly, covers well, and dries quickly to a lovely satin finish. The smell is still annoying, and I have now bought some more of the Crown paint (which when I shop around is about the same price) because I prefer it. However I am happy with the results of the Dulux paint too (when I don't use a roller. Maybe a different roller would help? Life's too short. Must get back to decorating).

Liroyal 10 Watt Square LED Ceiling Light Recessed Kitchen Bathroom Lamp Day White Replace 100W Incandescent Bulb Wall Lights

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright light, but very white, 19 Feb. 2015
I bought this for a bathroom and it is perfect for the job. Fits flush to the ceiling and gives a very bright light.

If I was to do this again I might go for a warm white (more yellow) than this daylight light (very clinical harsh light), but I guess it is down to personal taste and whatever you think looks best in the room it will be used in.

And no worries about kids leaving the light on, as it only uses 10 watts of electricity.

To make it "fire safe" I built a little box from plasterboard scraps to fit over it in the loft.

Marshalltown MPB13GSD 13x5-inch Gold Stainless Steel Plasterers Trowel
Marshalltown MPB13GSD 13x5-inch Gold Stainless Steel Plasterers Trowel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, even for an amateur, 19 Feb. 2015
I've tried plastering (DIY at home) a few times over the years with acceptable results, using a cheap float. A few months I bought a house that needed many walls and ceilings plastering, so I decided to take the time to practice and get better at DIY plastering. As part of this process I found most articles and reviews saying that the one important tool was a good float -- and the one most agreed as the best is this Marshalltown. Spending ten times the price of the cheap float on this product did not come easily, but I believed the reviewers and took the plunge.

Now I cannot say if the big improvement in my plastering is all down to the Marshalltown float, or to extra practice making my technique better (probably both), but the results now are far more professional. The float is a pleasure to use, and even after a few months (several rooms -- a lot for me but just a days work for a real plasterer) the float is as good as new. It did not need "wearing in".

Conclusion. Expensive (for an amateur) but I am happy I bought it.

Russell Hobbs Illuminating Glass Kettle, 1.7 L, 3000 W - Clear
Russell Hobbs Illuminating Glass Kettle, 1.7 L, 3000 W - Clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Lid is bad design but still a great kettle, 19 Feb. 2015
I have had one of these kettles for just over 3 years. Over the past few months the lid has got more and more reluctant to open, and now it refuses to open altogether. Of course it can still be forced open manually, but I can see this is likely to cause the little plastic mechanism to break completely.
Having read the many reviews here and on other websites, lots of people agree the lid is a weak point, and shame on Russell Hobbs for not improving the design. However, one reviewer points out that we use the kettle several times a day, every day, so if it lasts a couple of years it is still good value (especially bought from Amazon); and I go along with that view.

And this kettle does look stunning in the kitchen, especially at night. Visitors always admire it as it boils; the light catches the bubbles in the boiling water. If there is nothing good on TV I can go to the kitchen and watch the kettle (I am exaggerating slightly here).

So, although the lid on my kettle has broken, I have now ordered another of the same kettle.

100mm In-line Extractor Fan Vent Back Draught Shutter With One Spring And Two Flaps
Offered by Direct Discount

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing, but noisy and not perfect, 4 Feb. 2015
I installed an extractor for the bathroom on an outsode wall, and immediately cold wind blew in through the hole rotating the fan backwards. I guess the wall faces the prevailing wind. Bought and installed this little gadget which has improved the situation. It fitted quite tightly into the tube, and did not require any fixing to remain in position.

Cons:
1. Noisy. As the wind gusts, the little doors snap backwards and forwards with quite a loud clatter. However, in the two weeks it's been installed I have only noticed this a few times so generally it is not a problem.

2. Some draught still enters. Even with the doors closed (you can see the doors through the fan) I can still feel some cold air entering. And as the wind gusts, I can see the doors often open for a while, and then close when another gust comes along. So not perfect solution.

As the headline says -- better than nothing. Low price, easy to fit.

MiniSun Branded 3W Super Bright GU10 LED Bulb with 58 x 3527 SMD LEDs - 420 Lumens - Warm White
Offered by The Light Factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Half of them worked., 4 Feb. 2015
Great item, good price. I bought two. One didn't work at all. Sent it back and bought another which worked. Of course I was out of pocket by a few pounds.
The working bulbs are nice. Good warm light. The beam is quite concentrated so they are only bright directly underneath the bulb.

Silverline 457025 Taping Knife, 300 mm
Silverline 457025 Taping Knife, 300 mm

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but goes rusty, 7 Jan. 2015
This taping knife works fine, seems strong, accurate. Just what is required. But I'm marking it down because it instantly goes very rusty. Although I wash and dry it after use, each time I come to use it I need to rub the rust off. This probably doesn't affect the performance but it annoys me so I'm knocking off a couple of stars. To my mind a product that is designed to be used on wet plaster and filler, and then be washed, should be a bit more rustproof.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2016 10:04 AM BST

Bosmere K120 Handy Scoop - Green
Bosmere K120 Handy Scoop - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and handy, 7 Jan. 2015
I bought this for scooping plaster and cement powder out of their packets into a mixing bowl. I've used it for a few weeks and it has proved perfect for the task. Just the right shape and size.

Very good value.

Contraband - the card game
Contraband - the card game
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

1.0 out of 5 stars Great original Game, but this version is disappointing, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Contraband - the card game (Toy)
I have enjoyed playing Contraband (also known as Smuggle) with all ages of family over many years. It is one of the few board/card games that is enjoyed by everyone; and creates much laughter and fun as "passengers" try to outwit the customs officer (and play tricks on each other). I have looked to buy a copy of my own but never seen it for sale until recently here on Amazon. Eagerly I bought a copy and it arrived quickly. What a disappointment!!!! The box is tiny -- the size of my hand -- because all it contains is a pack of cards and the paper money -- which is the size of postage stamps.

The original game contained a large (A4) sheet showing the various articles (camera, brandy, etc) with the Duty to pay on each one, and the Fine if you were caught trying to smuggle the article through customs. This made it easy to see at a glance what you'd have to pay, and the risk if you lied about the content of your suitcase. More importantly it showed ALL the items available, so for example if you had an expensive bottle of brandy you could see from the sheet that you might pretend it was a cheap bottle of wine. This new version does not include this sheet. The only way to know the above is to memorise the charges on the cards (the prices are printed in tiny text on the cards). To be fair, there is a tiny booklet of instructions that does contain these prices, but that is not as good as a large sheet on the table that can be referred to by everyone all the time.

The original game had fake money which was colour coded for its value, and the notes were about the size of real banknotes.
This new version contains fake money that is all the same colour and each note is literally the size of a postage stamp; with the values printed in small text.

In my opinion they have ruined the game for the sake of saving a few pence (cost of printing a few sheets of paper).
The original game was enjoyed by all ages, from 3 or 4 upwards. The new version states it is suitable for ages 7 to 70. I reckon younger or older people are excluded because they could not easily handle or read the tiny objects.

Great shame. Excellent game originally, but this version I think is unplayable.

(When I have time I will make up my own sheet of prices, and maybe photocopy some larger fake money on coloured paper at large size.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4