Profile for Andy G > Reviews

Microsoft Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out
by Andrew Couch

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book, 5 Sept. 2011
Excellent book! Wish it had been available a few years ago.

I might even recommend it to an Excel programmer who wants to depend their understanding of VBA.

Professional Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
Professional Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
by Bill Sheldon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to be taken lightly, 2 Sept. 2011
I haven't had this book for long but felt the urge to balance another reviewer's five star rating.

The blurb mentions "if you've covered the basics..", which I have. But this book makes an awful lot of assumptions about the reader's knowledge. As an example, a chapter on ADO.Net states "to get the most out of this chapter, you should be fairly familiar with earlier versions of ADO.NET and the entire .NET Framework". If you have this level of knowledge already then you probably wouldn't buy this book; you would probably just do a bit of research to update your skills.

Some of the earlier chapters seem very good. They cover subjects like Objects and Classes fairly rapidly and to a good level of detail, which is what I'm looking for.

It's still a very interesting, useful and certainly detailed book - but I think I'm going to struggle with a number of chapters.

I still recommend it but it should be your 2nd or, more likely, 3rd VB.Net book.

SQL All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies
SQL All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies
by Allen G. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was hoping, 25 Aug. 2011
I think I've had three or four of these 'All-In-One' references over time and they all tend to suffer the same issue. That is, they repeat the same content within the different sections, repeating word for word and even page for page. I read one section, move to another and realise that I'm re-reading the same content.

I appreciate the idea that each section could be read in isolation, but repeating entire pages is a bit cheeky and distracting.

Anyway, the book is good in parts and includes some interesting discussions. But the contect that actually teaches SQL syntax is too brief. I was primarily interested in query optimization but the content for this is not specific enough.

It's still an interesting book and can be purchased at a good price, but I wouldn't recommend it as a book to teach you SQL. (Note: there is a more recent edition than the one I'm reviewing.)

Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost there, 25 Aug. 2011
Really good. Didn't take me any time at all to get used to. Nice feel and a reasonable weight.

I think it could be a bit more curved and a bit narrower. I don't use the buttons/ panel at the top so would prefer if these were removed; but I like the calculator button near the number pad.

I had one of these ergonomic/natural keyboards a few years ago and it was 'bridged' in the middle. I think this is preferable, and more 'natural', but keyboards with this bridging tend to suffer a few glitches after a while (I believe) and tend to cost a bit more.

A good purchase.

Microsoft D5D-00028 Wireless Mobile 4000 Mouse - Teal Blue
Microsoft D5D-00028 Wireless Mobile 4000 Mouse - Teal Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Practically perfect, 25 Aug. 2011
Loving it so far. It's taking me a little time to get used to as I've been using more compact mice for quite a while, but I understand a more substantial mouse is 'better for you'.

It has a lovely feel, is very precise, and connects reasonably quickly (on my Vista computer). Works very well on most surfaces.

I find the mouse-wheel movement a little sensitive, but this just takes getting used to. And perhaps it could be a little lighter, but I've struggled to concoct these criticisms.

The pricing policy for the different colours is a bit odd. I suppose you should just decide which colour you prefer and accept that you might have to pay a few more quid for it.

JavaScript Patterns
JavaScript Patterns
by Stoyan Stefanov

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 17 Aug. 2011
This review is from: JavaScript Patterns (Paperback)
Excellent book. Really interesting!

I would love to say that I understood every word, but I'm not quite there yet: it does delve into some quite complex topics. (This is not a beginners' book and does require careful study.)

Everything is explained very clearly. But given the complexity of some topics I think certain chapters or sections could be expanded upon a little. But perhaps this is just me making excuses he, he.

O'Reilly books, as always, have excellent print and production quality.

Inside Relational Databases with Examples in Access
Inside Relational Databases with Examples in Access
by Mark Whitehorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be improved, 17 Aug. 2011
I have mixed feelings about this book. It is good and offers some good, clear explanations.

But it tries to hold your hand a bit too much, over-simplifying things, using minimal table data. I think the sample tables should be bigger, and the graphics for them smaller. (Perhaps I'm just put off by the aesthetics of the book - the clunky font and table prints.)

It also contains a number of chapters that run to a couple/few pages. They should either add more to these chapters or incorporate them within a larger chapter or topic.

However, it is still very useful and contains information and descriptions that aren't found in other, more Access/Product centric books. That is, most Access books show you how to use the product but don't provide enough details about the theory behind database design and construction.

I intend to re-read it, so it must be pretty good :)

4 Port USB Hub - Hi Speed Plug and Play Black Expansion Extension - Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 Mac OSX - Part of the TECH GEAR UK RANGE

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but "mis-represented", 17 Aug. 2011
I really liked this item, particularly the lead length which is ideal for me. But I discovered, as mentioned by a previous reviewer, that this is not a USB 2.0 High Speed device. (I should have taken notice of this previous review before purchase.)

This is a mis-representation of the product but, for the price, I'll still use it. The speed difference won't matter for my keyboard, mouse or printer but I'll plug my broadband dongle into the other available port on my laptop.

It's a shame but I can't recommend it.

jQuery Pocket Reference
jQuery Pocket Reference
by David Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars What they said, 19 April 2011
Top book. Gives more detail, and clearer explanations, than some other books in the series.

It might be the only jQuery book that I (or you) need - although the subject itself is interesting enough that I will probably buy another book :)

Regular Expression Pocket Reference: Regular Expressions for Perl, Ruby, PHP, Python, C, Java and .NET (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
by Tony Stubblebine

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 3 April 2011
I love these little books but was slightly disappointed with this one.

I appreciate the need to explain the variations between different implementations, but I would have preferred a more detailed (and simpler) description of the core elements of RegEx. For the price though, it's still worth purchasing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5