Profile for elmsyrup > Reviews

Content by elmsyrup

elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dew Sterling Silver and Gold Plate Bite Me 3D Apple Necklace 45.7cm 9461GD
Dew Sterling Silver and Gold Plate Bite Me 3D Apple Necklace 45.7cm 9461GD

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but uncomfortable to wear, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a small pendant on a short delicate chain, so it falls just below the hollow of your throat. It looks pretty and modern. There isn't a lot of intricacy to the detail- the bite is a little fuzzy- but for the price it's a good everyday piece of jewellery. However I found it somewhat annoying to wear because the leaf is sharp and it jabbed into my skin and was uncomfortable, especially if you go to sleep with this on.

Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2
Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars good, clear, easy to use, 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think they have really thought through what state of mind women might be in when buying this, because there is an instruction sheet inside but also clear large instructions on the outside of the box. So you can just rip it open and give it a go, quickly. These are easy to use, and though the process can be messy they have made it as simple as possible with lots of reassuring features so you know you've done it properly.

Trigger Point Performance Grid STK Hand-Held Foam Roller - Orange
Trigger Point Performance Grid STK Hand-Held Foam Roller - Orange

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, 5 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The texture of the roller is a firm yet squishy foam, which I have not encountered before. The shape of the baton, with its cross-hatched grippy handle, doesn't seem ideally suited, in my opinion. It doesn't feel big enough or the right shape to do your own back, and if someone else uses it on you then a smaller hand held roller would be better. And you can use it on your own legs, but again the shape isn't as good as if it was smaller and curved slightly. The massage that it gives feels oddly juddery, like using a hexagonal wheel on a road. I think the other variations that you can get from the same company would probably be more useful.

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you know what you want from this, 26 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ease of setup- Other reviewers have struggled to set this up but for whatever reason, I didn't have any problems with it. The instructions were clear and it worked, using an android phone and the Panasonic app to connect this speaker to my WiFi.

Sound quality- this sounds good for the fairly small size. The sound does fill the space and it sounds balanced, even though it's only one unit with all the speakers shoved together. No doubt if you add the extra speakers you can get this to sound great.

App- as other reviewers pointed me towards the Qualcomm app as being better than the Panasonic app, I have tried both and not found many issues with either. However I went into Richer Sounds to ask what they thought of this item, and the assistant felt that Panasonic hadn't put enough thought into their app and he said the Sonos was much better for that reason. But the flaws he spotted such as not being able to control each speaker (ie in different rooms) individually seem to have been fixed in the Qualcomm app, although I've not tried those features, since I didn't get any of the extra speakers. I have found both apps to be clunky when you try to make a playlist, and when you turn on the speaker and open up the app, it always seems to need a few tries before it will connect.

Utility- I don't think this is as useful to me as it might be to some. The apps let you stream Spotify and various radio stations, plus any music you have stored on the phone or tablet you have installed the app onto. I still have a lot of CDs and a very good separates system, which this doesn't help with. The guy in Richer Sounds said you can connect the Sonos to your main system and beam your CDs around the house which seems like a good idea. Also I have a Chromecast and an excellent soundbar (with massive woofer) set up on my TV. I can stream anything from my phone or tablet to that, including podcasts, which doesn't seem to be a possibility with this (the Qualcomm app has links to some podcasts, but not the weird leftfield ones I listen to). And the Chromecast just works brilliantly, without any fiddling around. I can also Bluetooth directly to the soundbar but as others have mentioned to me, the sound quality is limited with Bluetooth. There is an auxiliary jack in the back of this speaker, so I had hopes I could plug my phone into it and therefore use it in places without WiFi (such as my kitchen), but that doesn't work. I'm not sure what it's for, in that case. So it only works at all with your WiFi network. This makes it much less portable than I'd hoped. I don't really see the point of a speaker that will not emit any sounds without your WiFi being turned on.

Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator
Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for female nostrils, 4 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is, as other reviewers have said, somewhat effective at dilating the nostrils and making it easier to breathe. But it is very uncomfortable. I have quite a small nose and I couldn't cope with the discomfort. So I washed it thoroughly and then got my partner to try it in his big blokey nostrils. He fared a bit better, but still found it uncomfortable. Maybe the non sport version is better, but I'm not willing to spend a tenner to try it out.

Obbekjaers 200mg Extra Strength One-a-Day Peppermint - Pack of 60 Capsules
Obbekjaers 200mg Extra Strength One-a-Day Peppermint - Pack of 60 Capsules

1.0 out of 5 stars No substitute for Colpermin, 2 April 2015
This is much cheaper than Colpermin and is the same strength (200mg), but it is not a substitute. I have IBS. I bought these because I didn't want to go to the hassle of making a doctor's appointment- and Colpermin without a prescription is very expensive. So I thought these would do the job. But they are standard capsules without an enteric coating. An enteric coating means that the capsule will not dissolve until it gets to your gut. If it dissolves beforehand, like in the stomach, it causes problems. The peppermint oil can burn the stomach lining, cause heartburn, and will not have the required effect of relaxing the walls of the gut to stop it from spasming- because it never gets to where it needs to be. When I took these capsules, they were not effective in calming my IBS, and they gave me heartburn and unpleasant pepperminty burps. I don't recommend these at all, and now I've wasted a tenner by trying to save a fiver.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-558 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Extras Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-558 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Extras Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bundle, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried a few different epilators in my time, I am used to the feeling and don't find it hurts on my legs much. However I got a friend to try this and she found it painful as a new user. I would point out that if you're used to waxing, this is much less painful- and as you keep using it, the hair becomes finer and it will hurt less.

Comparing this to previous Braun models. this is somewhat improved because the head is wider, allowing you to get more hairs at the same time. The pointy massaging rollers don't do anything for me and nor did they help my friend. Using the basic cap is best. The light is useful as you can see what you're doing very well, and it's great that you can use it in the bath to help soothe the skin (which also means this is much easier to clean than a dry epilator).

Now for the extras. The shaver/trimmer head is a useful addition. Take it from me, if you have left your underarm hair to grow too long, it's really painful to epilate it, so you want to get the hair shorter beforehand. My friend chickened out halfway through her first epilation experience, and ended up just using the shaver head to defuzz her legs. So it's nice that this model allows that kind of versatility.

I kept the facial hair remover to try myself, and I'm quite impressed with it. It's only small, very simple construction, and takes 1 AA battery (which is included!). But it really works. The little tweezers are flatter and closer together than on the main depilator. It's incredibly painful to use, but if you're willing to grit your teeth and persist with it, your upper lip will be impressively smooth. And unlike waxing, I didn't get a rash afterwards. I hope the pain will lessen if I keep using it. It's waterproof too, so you can just rinse it under the tap.

Braun has come out with quite a few epilator bundles at the moment, and I like the look of the one with the exfoliating brush. On the other hand you can buy a more basic epilator for a good deal less money. But the facial epilator that comes with this is a genuinely good addition to the package (and when bought separately, it isn't cheap). So this is quite good value for money, and a good quality set.

Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery
Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems legit, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit thin, and not delicious, but it tastes OK. It is hard to shake or stir to mix, but I've put it in a blender and it's much better. The mix of nutrients are supposed to do good things after exercise and I'm sure they do. I did think it was refreshing. I do weights and cardio but I'm not a body builder, so I can't say whether it made my muscles more muscly or anything. The price is not bad for this kind of thing.

AmiGami Butterfly and Heart Punch
AmiGami Butterfly and Heart Punch

4.0 out of 5 stars cute but lightweight, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good idea if you want to get a reluctant child to try something crafty, but the fact it's already been started off for you can make it a bit limiting. It looks better on the packaging than it does once it's made in real life, and the recipient complained there weren't many stickers. It's been described as being similar to paint by numbers.

Xiaomi Hongmi Red Rice 1S Quad Core 1.6GHz Android 4.3 Dual SIM Smart Phone by Takuda
Offered by cnvcall

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 9 Mar. 2015
When I bought this phone, I was prepared for the fact I would have to do some work on it, to get it how I wanted. I knew there was a possibility I would have to change the language from Chinese. Luckily, although it arrived with only Chinese instructions and a Chinese plug, it was pre-programmed into English. There were a lot of apps on here which I didn't want (more about which later), and as there is no app drawer since this is not just a standard Android OS, everything you download is stored on one of the four screens. The only way to hide unwanted apps is to put them in a folder. Once you have your wifi and GPRS set up, download the apps you want from the Google Play store (for instance this doesn't even come with Google maps built in), and change your defaults- and you should be OK. You can even use a different launcher which overlays your menus and adds an app drawer if you want to, but it's not necessary. Once I got everything set up I was impressed with the speed of the phone, the good quality screen and camera, and so on. Battery is fine, I have no reason to use the dual sim functionality but I'm sure that's good for those who want it.

There were a few problems with this phone. After a day or two of use, I found that popup ads kept coming up and covering whatever else I was doing on the phone. After some research I found this was due to the Baidu browser, which is basically malware. It's not enough just to avoid using this, you will have to go into system settings- application manager- Baidu browser- turn off notifications and disable the app. That fixed my popups problem and also the other big problem I had noticed: when playing music or podcasts, I was unable to go into any other apps (ie a browser or a game) without the audio player shutting itself down. This was a known bug which was apparently fixed in the last update, but I found it kept happening until I disabled Baidu.

Other apps you may want to disable might be Mobogenie and MoboMarket- these have the possibility of being problematic and allow you to download untrusted apps that may have malware in. Call me overly suspicious maybe, but there was a recent news story about problems with Xiaomi phones being insecure, so I think people should be very careful; and that is the tradeoff for getting such a high spec phone at such a low price. So this phone is really best suited to people who have a bit of technical knowledge, common sense, and the patience to fiddle about until you get it working the way you want. I may end up with more issues in which case I will update this review, but so far I seem to have got the hang of it, and would recommend if you are prepared to put a bit of effort in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20