Profile for elmsyrup > Reviews

Content by elmsyrup

elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
6x Savvies SU75 UltraClear Screen Protector for Xiaomi Hongmi Red Rice
6x Savvies SU75 UltraClear Screen Protector for Xiaomi Hongmi Red Rice
Offered by protectionfilms24-com

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 3 Mar. 2015
This is described as being made specifically for the Xiaomi Redmi S1, but it isn't quite the right size- too small- and doesn't go on easily. Being wrongly sized means that if you try to line it up against one side of the screen, it doesn't fit perfectly on the other side of the screen as you would expect. I'm quite practiced at putting screen protectors on, and I am normally quite good at it, but try as I might I couldn't avoid bubbles- even though I put this onto a brand new phone and had not removed the manufacturer's protective screen cover until putting this on. These are cheap, but are not very good quality. They don't come with a screen cleaner, little card to press the bubbles out, or placement guide stickers as I have been used to with other screen protector packages. Since there are six I could try again with another one, but I think I will try and get some directly from the manufacturer.

Igenix Stainless Steel Corded Kettle, 3.5 Litre, 2200 Watt
Igenix Stainless Steel Corded Kettle, 3.5 Litre, 2200 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple catering kettle, 26 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This kettle is about twice the capacity of a normal household kettle, but it's very light when empty, because the construction is so simple. Of course it is heavy when filled but not as much as you might think. It needs to be filled to a minimum of 1.5 litres, which is almost the whole of a standard domestic kettle (generally 1.7 litres). It seems to take a long time to boil, although I'm not sure if that is simply proportionate. The spout is small and precise, which is good for safety, but means that it is slow to pour out, which can be tiring on your arm. The cord is quite short, so you need to have it pretty close to a plug socket. The kettle has three feet underneath so it's a bit wobbly whether empty or full, but not too bad. Its construction is fully metal, so it does get very hot. Be careful of using this around children, and be careful taking the lid off when it has boiled.

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 4.8 g, Addictive
Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 4.8 g, Addictive

2.0 out of 5 stars Not noticeably longer lasting, 16 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know what it is with me and eyeshadows. I don't feel like I rub my eyes much, but by the end of the day all the colour has completely disappeared. I thought this one might help, as it claims to last longer. When I tried it dry, it didn't seem to stay any longer than a normal shadow, and I didn't particularly like the colours as there is no shimmer to them so they don't feel flattering. This looks like a neutral set but it doesn't suit me. When I tried it wet, the colours were too strong and made me look like I'd had an accident. So I didn't have much success with this. I find cream/ crayon shadows work much better on me, perhaps because I have dry skin.

Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if it's worth the extra expense, 13 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently reviewed the Oral B Trizone 2000, and that is very similar to this one but much cheaper. The differences with this brush are as follows. Rather than 2 modes (daily clean and gum care) it also has a third mode, sensitive. And rather than coming with one toothbrush head, it comes with four- two 3d whitening, one cross action and one sensitive. Now those are all small round heads, which I don't really get on with. The thing I liked most about the Trizone is that the head was more like a normal toothbrush size.

I tried this brush with the 3d whitening head, which has a plastic core. I found it a bit unsettling, but I think it did clean my teeth well- perhaps too well. I'd be careful with this head, because the way it whitens is by rather vigorously cleaning the teeth like a hygienist, and too much of that can wear away the enamel. However the cup shape of the small heads feels like they don't go between my teeth and massage my gums as well as a larger head.

I expect this will be reduced in price soon, but right now I think it isn't worth the extra expense unless you need the sensitive mode or want to try all the different kinds of heads. If you know what head type you want it's cheaper to buy one of the other Oral B toothbrushes and a refill pack of heads. And honestly the Trizone heads are much better.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter- 2.55 g, Peach Parfait
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter- 2.55 g, Peach Parfait

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and flattering, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently reviewed the ColorBurst lacquer balm, which is sort of the crayon version of this. That one didn't have a lot of pigment, but this is much more like a lipstick, and when applied liberally, it's a pretty nice colour with a slight sheen. It feels moisturising, and it has quite good lasting power. I do agree with other reviewers that the case is annoying and hard to open. But that's not the end of the world. I really rather fancy the candy apple colour.

Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml
Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml
Offered by L4RGE

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The texture of this reminds me of a non stick baking spray I once had which was a combination of flour and oil. It doesn't spread on the face very well, so I ended up using quite a few squirts. And then it looked really unnatural. It made my face look pale and chalky, and it emphasised the dry skin around my nose. It did even out pores, but only by covering up and masking the skin. I then put makeup over the top, but that didn't spread smoothly either- the primer made it uneven and cakey. I've used versions of this sort of thing before and normally they have a bit of pearlescence to them, which is much more flattering. This is too matt, too heavy, and really masks the skin. Maybe recommended for people who like the idea of totally covering up their natural skin tone and putting a lot of makeup on top, but I don't. Something I have been using recently which is meant to achieve the same goal and which I love, is Garnier miracle skin cream. Much more natural and makes my skin look really nice.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but not much pigment, 2 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this. It's clearly a Clinique Chubby Stick copy, and the texture and packaging is quite similar, but this tastes minty, and tingles on the lips slightly, which is nicer than the waxy taste of Chubby Stick. The packaging is really nice, a bit more glamorous than many other Revlon products. It feels comfortable and balm like on the lips. The colour I was sent is not very intense, and actually makes my lips slightly paler, so perhaps this is better for blondes. I'm a pale skinned brunette and I like a redder shade. Lots of their other colours look really tempting.

Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Shadow and Sparkle - 2.8 g, Metropolitan
Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Shadow and Sparkle - 2.8 g, Metropolitan
Offered by L4RGE

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice colours, 31 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I went for Metropolitan, which I think is the most neutral/ universal of the sets. I didn't find the primer made the eye makeup stay on any more firmly than if it hadn't been used, but it is a good colour base. It's almost exactly the same as the top highlighter though. The greys are quite strong and you will need to be careful with the darker one. I like the sparkle, which is the smallest square- that's glam but subtle, and is likely to get used up first.

This shadow blends alright, and seems to stay put averagely well, although I have a tendency to rub my eyes. I will also review http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006OZEYR0 to see if that stays on longer. This one is easy enough to remove with wipes.

Philips Avent SCF721/20 Baby Food Storage Cups (180/240ml) - Pack of 10
Philips Avent SCF721/20 Baby Food Storage Cups (180/240ml) - Pack of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of nice details, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The design of these cups has been really well thought out. The small cups are the right size for baby mush, the large cups for chopped up fruit and snacks. They stack well within themselves when empty and on top of each other when full. They are microwave safe, with measures along the sides, and they really are leakproof. I like the fact you can write on them. They are compatible with being attached to a breast pump or beaker top. The included weaning spoon is handy.

The only caveat is that these are advertised as being ready sterilised, which I don't think they are. They are packaged within a cardboard box, with no plastic wrap around the cups. So I don't know if people would want to use these straight from the box without cleaning them first.

Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick - 4.2 g, Really Red
Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick - 4.2 g, Really Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as flattering as I would hope, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The shape of this lipstick is such that you can't really apply it straight from the tube- you have to use a brush to get a good shape.Of course you always have to be more careful and precise with red lipstick (and perhaps use a lip liner) than with other, more forgiving colours. The texture is buttery, but not quite smooth enough to go on with absolute ease.

I think the matte finish is more fashionable than it is alluring. I don't like a heavy gloss, but find that a lipstick with at least a bit of a sheen looks nicer. The colour is a slightly orange red, which is not as flattering to my pale skin as a blue red, and has the tendency to make teeth look a little bit yellow. I recommend this for darker skins.

It has quite good staying power, although it will transfer off onto your glass. When it has been on for a while it does feel slightly drying, but not too bad. I think a matte lipstick will always feel that way, but you can tell there are moisturisers to try and mitigate that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20