Profile for elmsyrup > Reviews

Content by elmsyrup

elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-558 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Extras
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-558 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Extras

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bundle, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried a few different epilators in my time, I am used to the feeling and don't find it hurts on my legs much. However I got a friend to try this and she found it painful as a new user. I would point out that if you're used to waxing, this is much less painful- and as you keep using it, the hair becomes finer and it will hurt less.

Comparing this to previous Braun models. this is somewhat improved because the head is wider, allowing you to get more hairs at the same time. The pointy massaging rollers don't do anything for me and nor did they help my friend. Using the basic cap is best. The light is useful as you can see what you're doing very well, and it's great that you can use it in the bath to help soothe the skin (which also means this is much easier to clean than a dry epilator).

Now for the extras. The shaver/trimmer head is a useful addition. Take it from me, if you have left your underarm hair to grow too long, it's really painful to epilate it, so you want to get the hair shorter beforehand. My friend chickened out halfway through her first epilation experience, and ended up just using the shaver head to defuzz her legs. So it's nice that this model allows that kind of versatility.

I kept the facial hair remover to try myself, and I'm quite impressed with it. It's only small, very simple construction, and takes 1 AA battery (which is included!). But it really works. The little tweezers are flatter and closer together than on the main depilator. It's incredibly painful to use, but if you're willing to grit your teeth and persist with it, your upper lip will be impressively smooth. And unlike waxing, I didn't get a rash afterwards. I hope the pain will lessen if I keep using it. It's waterproof too, so you can just rinse it under the tap.

Braun has come out with quite a few epilator bundles at the moment, and I like the look of the one with the exfoliating brush. On the other hand you can buy a more basic epilator for a good deal less money. But the facial epilator that comes with this is a genuinely good addition to the package (and when bought separately, it isn't cheap). So this is quite good value for money, and a good quality set.

Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery
Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems legit, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit thin, and not delicious, but it tastes OK. It is hard to shake or stir to mix, but I've put it in a blender and it's much better. The mix of nutrients are supposed to do good things after exercise and I'm sure they do. I did think it was refreshing. I do weights and cardio but I'm not a body builder, so I can't say whether it made my muscles more muscly or anything. The price is not bad for this kind of thing.

AmiGami Butterfly and Heart Punch
AmiGami Butterfly and Heart Punch

4.0 out of 5 stars cute but lightweight, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good idea if you want to get a reluctant child to try something crafty, but the fact it's already been started off for you can make it a bit limiting. It looks better on the packaging than it does once it's made in real life, and the recipient complained there weren't many stickers. It's been described as being similar to paint by numbers.

Xiaomi Hongmi Red Rice 1S Quad Core 1.6GHz Android 4.3 Dual SIM Smart Phone by Takuda
Offered by In4dealz

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 9 Mar. 2015
When I bought this phone, I was prepared for the fact I would have to do some work on it, to get it how I wanted. I knew there was a possibility I would have to change the language from Chinese. Luckily, although it arrived with only Chinese instructions and a Chinese plug, it was pre-programmed into English. There were a lot of apps on here which I didn't want (more about which later), and as there is no app drawer since this is not just a standard Android OS, everything you download is stored on one of the four screens. The only way to hide unwanted apps is to put them in a folder. Once you have your wifi and GPRS set up, download the apps you want from the Google Play store (for instance this doesn't even come with Google maps built in), and change your defaults- and you should be OK. You can even use a different launcher which overlays your menus and adds an app drawer if you want to, but it's not necessary. Once I got everything set up I was impressed with the speed of the phone, the good quality screen and camera, and so on. Battery is fine, I have no reason to use the dual sim functionality but I'm sure that's good for those who want it.

There were a few problems with this phone. After a day or two of use, I found that popup ads kept coming up and covering whatever else I was doing on the phone. After some research I found this was due to the Baidu browser, which is basically malware. It's not enough just to avoid using this, you will have to go into system settings- application manager- Baidu browser- turn off notifications and disable the app. That fixed my popups problem and also the other big problem I had noticed: when playing music or podcasts, I was unable to go into any other apps (ie a browser or a game) without the audio player shutting itself down. This was a known bug which was apparently fixed in the last update, but I found it kept happening until I disabled Baidu.

Other apps you may want to disable might be Mobogenie and MoboMarket- these have the possibility of being problematic and allow you to download untrusted apps that may have malware in. Call me overly suspicious maybe, but there was a recent news story about problems with Xiaomi phones being insecure, so I think people should be very careful; and that is the tradeoff for getting such a high spec phone at such a low price. So this phone is really best suited to people who have a bit of technical knowledge, common sense, and the patience to fiddle about until you get it working the way you want. I may end up with more issues in which case I will update this review, but so far I seem to have got the hang of it, and would recommend if you are prepared to put a bit of effort in.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 8 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The big lie about this product is that it's not gritty. This is absolutely untrue. When you finish drinking a glass full of this stuff there is a large amount of gritty powder left at the bottom of the glass. It's green and foamy and tastes like artificial lime. Not overly sweet. The wheatgrass seems to have been ground and embedded into the fizzy tablets so that it floats in your drink like a sprinkling of herbs. Many of the online praise of wheatgrass often states that the benefits can only be gained from the fresh plant and its chlorophyll. So I don't know whether this will actually give you the benefits you are expecting. I found it tasted OK and the vitamins it contains are no doubt beneficial, but didn't give me any noticeable boost of energy. A standard fizzy vitamin seems just as good. And it's not cheap- maybe cheaper than a fresh shot of wheatgrass from your local juice bar, but it's nowhere near the same experience.

6x Savvies SU75 UltraClear Screen Protector for Xiaomi Hongmi Red Rice
6x Savvies SU75 UltraClear Screen Protector for Xiaomi Hongmi Red Rice
Offered by protectionfilms24-com

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 3 Mar. 2015
This is described as being made specifically for the Xiaomi Redmi S1, but it isn't quite the right size- too small- and doesn't go on easily. Being wrongly sized means that if you try to line it up against one side of the screen, it doesn't fit perfectly on the other side of the screen as you would expect. I'm quite practiced at putting screen protectors on, and I am normally quite good at it, but try as I might I couldn't avoid bubbles- even though I put this onto a brand new phone and had not removed the manufacturer's protective screen cover until putting this on. These are cheap, but are not very good quality. They don't come with a screen cleaner, little card to press the bubbles out, or placement guide stickers as I have been used to with other screen protector packages. Since there are six I could try again with another one, but I think I will try and get some directly from the manufacturer.

Igenix IG4350 Traditional Corded Kettle 2,200 W - 3.5 L, Stainless Steel
Igenix IG4350 Traditional Corded Kettle 2,200 W - 3.5 L, Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple catering kettle, 26 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This kettle is about twice the capacity of a normal household kettle, but it's very light when empty, because the construction is so simple. Of course it is heavy when filled but not as much as you might think. It needs to be filled to a minimum of 1.5 litres, which is almost the whole of a standard domestic kettle (generally 1.7 litres). It seems to take a long time to boil, although I'm not sure if that is simply proportionate. The spout is small and precise, which is good for safety, but means that it is slow to pour out, which can be tiring on your arm. The cord is quite short, so you need to have it pretty close to a plug socket. The kettle has three feet underneath so it's a bit wobbly whether empty or full, but not too bad. Its construction is fully metal, so it does get very hot. Be careful of using this around children, and be careful taking the lid off when it has boiled.

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 4.8 g, Addictive
Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 4.8 g, Addictive

2.0 out of 5 stars Not noticeably longer lasting, 16 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know what it is with me and eyeshadows. I don't feel like I rub my eyes much, but by the end of the day all the colour has completely disappeared. I thought this one might help, as it claims to last longer. When I tried it dry, it didn't seem to stay any longer than a normal shadow, and I didn't particularly like the colours as there is no shimmer to them so they don't feel flattering. This looks like a neutral set but it doesn't suit me. When I tried it wet, the colours were too strong and made me look like I'd had an accident. So I didn't have much success with this. I find cream/ crayon shadows work much better on me, perhaps because I have dry skin.

Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if it's worth the extra expense, 13 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently reviewed the Oral B Trizone 2000, and that is very similar to this one but much cheaper. The differences with this brush are as follows. Rather than 2 modes (daily clean and gum care) it also has a third mode, sensitive. And rather than coming with one toothbrush head, it comes with four- two 3d whitening, one cross action and one sensitive. Now those are all small round heads, which I don't really get on with. The thing I liked most about the Trizone is that the head was more like a normal toothbrush size.

I tried this brush with the 3d whitening head, which has a plastic core. I found it a bit unsettling, but I think it did clean my teeth well- perhaps too well. I'd be careful with this head, because the way it whitens is by rather vigorously cleaning the teeth like a hygienist, and too much of that can wear away the enamel. However the cup shape of the small heads feels like they don't go between my teeth and massage my gums as well as a larger head.

I expect this will be reduced in price soon, but right now I think it isn't worth the extra expense unless you need the sensitive mode or want to try all the different kinds of heads. If you know what head type you want it's cheaper to buy one of the other Oral B toothbrushes and a refill pack of heads. And honestly the Trizone heads are much better.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter- 2.55 g, Peach Parfait
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter- 2.55 g, Peach Parfait

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and flattering, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently reviewed the ColorBurst lacquer balm, which is sort of the crayon version of this. That one didn't have a lot of pigment, but this is much more like a lipstick, and when applied liberally, it's a pretty nice colour with a slight sheen. It feels moisturising, and it has quite good lasting power. I do agree with other reviewers that the case is annoying and hard to open. But that's not the end of the world. I really rather fancy the candy apple colour.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20