Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Matthew Searle > Reviews

Content by Matthew Searle

Matthew Searle (England)

Everybody Loves Uber: The Untold Story Of How Uber Operates
Everybody Loves Uber: The Untold Story Of How Uber Operates
by Ben Mandell

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, short and just plain bad, 7 Feb. 2017
Let's start with the good points - this is short. It's about 90 pages in total, A5 size so easy to get through quickly and you won't waste much time on the rest of the book.

The book itself is poorly written, badly punctuated, has no consistency of formatting (eg some chapters have a number, most don't; some paragraphs are indented, others aren't etc), poor spelling (the difference between "sight" and "site" for example), rogue apostrophes and lacks basic mathematics knowledge (the author cannot differentiate between 54 cents a mile and .54 cents a mile, at one point even pricing the journey ".48.75 cents per mile")

The blurb for the book says "Don't Miss Out On This Thrilling Page-Turner" - I wonder if whoever wrote that had even opened the book, because thrilling it most certainly is not. I turned the pages because I'd spent so much on it and thought that it might get better - suffice to say, it did not.

Whether the numbers in the book are accurate or not I cannot say, but the operating model doesn't quite seem to be the same one that we have in the UK, and certainly they don't seem to match those described in another book about Uber (Bad Uber) which is written by a driver in London. I'm fairly certain that the founders don't need the advice and guidance from the author on how they will be out of business any day now because they haven't followed his advice.

HyperDrive iUSBport Hard Drive
HyperDrive iUSBport Hard Drive
Offered by Digitalix24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great backup on the move, 21 Sept. 2016
I bought this for a trip to Kenya on safari and wanting to back up the photos every night, and it was great. I needed to buy a USB adapter to read from the compactflash cards, but the SDHC cards read and backed up with no problem.

The only issue that I found was I forgot the IP address for the WiFi so I couldn't access the photos until I got home - I've now written it on the front of the device so I can't forget it!

Very pleased with it and would recommend

Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 3)
Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and a bit dull, 13 April 2013
Maybe I'm just getting bored with the whole saga, but this one is by far the worst in the series. Read part one yesterday and parts two and three today, so maybe I'm bored by them now - the "plot" is so clumsily obvious from start to finish that it gets a bit painful to read.

Maybe it's that the characters are so one-dimensional - they are either goodies or baddies with nothing in between - but I just don't care what happens to them any more. Every section which was meant to have some suspense seemed pretty obvious what would happen, whether it's picking up from the previous ending or the ending to this one.

Maybe the next one will be better - it certainly couldn't be much worse than this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 8:59 AM BST

The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
by William L. Simon

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date and repetitive, 29 Jan. 2013
I'm sure that when this was first released, there were a number of surprises and good advice in there, but the book is badly out of date now.

There are references to dial-up modems, backing up the database to floppy disk, a memory stick which can store 32MB etc. which just seem quaint these days.

I'm also not convinced that many of the examples would hold true today - people are more alert and aware of possible scams which they are opening themselves to. The examples given have been fictionalised, so they don't really impress much - if they revealed some of the company names, then it might be more impressive. As it stands, a series of examples of a fictional person ringing a fictional receptionist in a fictional company and getting her to fax the information to him just serves to bore by the end of the book.

2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly
2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great digital version of a fantastic magazine, 19 July 2011
I'd never heard of 2600 before I found it on the Kindle store and subscribed.

As someone who has been working with computers (as a hobby and now professionally) since I was about 5 years old, I find it fascinating. There are some articles which aren't any interest to me (like any magazine) and there are some that are very interesting - mainly in terms of how things work and how I can look to protect the systems that I work with from outside attacks.

One thing to point out, though, is that if you subscribe, the copy provided as a subscription is DRM'd, but I think that individual copies are not. Not quite sure that I'm happy about that, but that's the way that Amazon work, it seems.

One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
by Jasper Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the others, 19 July 2011
I re-read the other books in the series in anticipation of this one coming out, and was looking forward to another great story.

Unfortunately, it's not a patch on the others. The previous book ends on a great cliff-hanger, which isn't even mentioned in this book. The book is narrated by the bookworld version of Thursday, but it's nowhere near as good as any of the others.

I loved Shades of Grey - maybe it's time to bury Thursday and bring out the other Colour books quicker.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2012 4:48 PM BST

Buzz Off
Buzz Off
by Gordon Green

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best children's books I've read in a while, 3 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Buzz Off (Paperback)
I received the book as a present and my daughter (4 1/2) absolutely loves it. It's got good repeating elements, which by the second read through she was joining in with - as she does with Dr. Seuss books, which is a good sign :)

The ending involves fly finding a bed somewhere you wouldn't expect, which had her (and her friends that I've now shared this with) giggling for a long time.