Profile for Matthew Searle > Reviews

Content by Matthew Searle

Matthew Searle (England)

Best Kept Secret: Book Three of the Clifton Chronicles (The Clifton Chronicles series 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and a bit dull, 13 April 2013
Maybe I'm just getting bored with the whole saga, but this one is by far the worst in the series. Read part one yesterday and parts two and three today, so maybe I'm bored by them now - the "plot" is so clumsily obvious from start to finish that it gets a bit painful to read.

Maybe it's that the characters are so one-dimensional - they are either goodies or baddies with nothing in between - but I just don't care what happens to them any more. Every section which was meant to have some suspense seemed pretty obvious what would happen, whether it's picking up from the previous ending or the ending to this one.

Maybe the next one will be better - it certainly couldn't be much worse than this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 8:59 AM BST

The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
by Steve Wozniak

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date and repetitive, 29 Jan. 2013
I'm sure that when this was first released, there were a number of surprises and good advice in there, but the book is badly out of date now.

There are references to dial-up modems, backing up the database to floppy disk, a memory stick which can store 32MB etc. which just seem quaint these days.

I'm also not convinced that many of the examples would hold true today - people are more alert and aware of possible scams which they are opening themselves to. The examples given have been fictionalised, so they don't really impress much - if they revealed some of the company names, then it might be more impressive. As it stands, a series of examples of a fictional person ringing a fictional receptionist in a fictional company and getting her to fax the information to him just serves to bore by the end of the book.

2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition
2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great digital version of a fantastic magazine, 19 July 2011
I'd never heard of 2600 before I found it on the Kindle store and subscribed.

As someone who has been working with computers (as a hobby and now professionally) since I was about 5 years old, I find it fascinating. There are some articles which aren't any interest to me (like any magazine) and there are some that are very interesting - mainly in terms of how things work and how I can look to protect the systems that I work with from outside attacks.

One thing to point out, though, is that if you subscribe, the copy provided as a subscription is DRM'd, but I think that individual copies are not. Not quite sure that I'm happy about that, but that's the way that Amazon work, it seems.

One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
by Jasper Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the others, 19 July 2011
I re-read the other books in the series in anticipation of this one coming out, and was looking forward to another great story.

Unfortunately, it's not a patch on the others. The previous book ends on a great cliff-hanger, which isn't even mentioned in this book. The book is narrated by the bookworld version of Thursday, but it's nowhere near as good as any of the others.

I loved Shades of Grey - maybe it's time to bury Thursday and bring out the other Colour books quicker.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2012 4:48 PM BST

Buzz Off
Buzz Off
by Gordon Green

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best children's books I've read in a while, 3 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Buzz Off (Paperback)
I received the book as a present and my daughter (4 1/2) absolutely loves it. It's got good repeating elements, which by the second read through she was joining in with - as she does with Dr. Seuss books, which is a good sign :)

The ending involves fly finding a bed somewhere you wouldn't expect, which had her (and her friends that I've now shared this with) giggling for a long time.