Profile for WDBonett > Reviews

The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
by Neal Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Mar. 2005
Various comments for this run as 'good but not Snow Crash' 'great but flawed' 'good but not Cryptonomicon'. This book is simply superb. I thoroughly enjoyed all of his other books, but for me this is the pinnacle. A world struggling to get to grips with the differences that seperate us, uses a tribal approach to create regions for people to live their chosen lives. This politcal world is imbued with Stephenson's usual array of amazing technology, and extraordinary concepts. The most powerful of these is a book with the ability to adapts its lessons instantaneously to its reader's needs, and a little girl with power to reshape everything. I loved the (for me very real) possiblities D/A opens up, and I want one of those books!!

Letterhead and Logo Design: 8 (Letterhead & Logo Design)
Letterhead and Logo Design: 8 (Letterhead & Logo Design)
by Top Design Studio

4.0 out of 5 stars great improvement, 22 Jun. 2004
I had purchased Letterhead and Logo Design: 7 and was disappointed not so here. A far better book with better samples and better layout. Combined with Los Logos, and Logo Lounge and complete corporate id design resource.

Cryptonomicon
Cryptonomicon
by Neal Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible depth, 22 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Cryptonomicon (Paperback)
Extraordinary breadth and a superb grasp of history and the effect individuals and technology have on it. A huge fan of of Diamond Age and Snow Crash and Interface, I was initally disappointed in this not being in the same genre. I loved the range of ideas, the drama, the politics and adventure he created in them. They were classic can put them down reads. Then I began Cryptonomicon and whilst it is set in the past, and has the cyberpunk thrill of his earlier work it is still as forward looking as ever, and it began to take over senses just like the others. In fact it regnerated my interested historic writings and led to reading more on Turing, and the corporations and conglomorates that benefited from the war. I've read Gravity's Rainbow, and the favourable and unfavourable comparisons made with it. I fall into the former. Gravity's Rainbow can be very hard work, whilst Cryptonomicon is only difficult initially if you're expecting his other work. Quite brilliant.

Voice of our Shadow (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
Voice of our Shadow (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
by Jonathan Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars master storyteller at work, 11 Jun. 2004
The world is divided into those that know JC's work and those that don't. He is a master story teller of the old school. You can imagine hearing his tales around an atmospheric midnight campfire in the woods. There's a real humanity to his characters, and his story lines always surprise and move. Voice of Our Shadow is one of the more evocative of his books right up there with Outside the Dog Museum, and After Silence. Read this, read them all!