Profile for Francine la Viajera > Reviews

Content by Francine la Vi...

Francine la Viajera (London)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Cushions, 1 Oct. 2013
These cushions are a calming deep peach rather than dynamic orange but this proved to be just what was needed to contrast with the black leather sofa in our day centre.

Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Wall Quote 96 x 47cm - Self Adhesive Wall Art

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Easy, 1 Oct. 2013
Delivery was on time. It was my first time of doing a wall transfer. I chose the orange print - which came looking like Orange Day Glo. That was fine by me, because I really wanted it to stand out. It trimmed off the excess, then cut the transfer into about four manageable pieces. If you keep the words Dance in the Rain together you can decide exactly where you want to place that line. Great product!

How to Lead
How to Lead
by Jo Owen

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a dip, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: How to Lead (Paperback)
Jo Owen has produced a readable book full of examples and humour. Short case studies are taken from sports, business, and the public sector. Because it is so comprehensive, it is best approached by reading and digesting in bite-sized chunks. As someone with an interest in coaching, I really appreciated what he had to say about coaching. We tend to over-focus on the immediate challenges. His section on giving employees or colleagues feedback is also spot on. We all avoid negative stuff for reasons that I think psychologists would all cognitive dissonance.

One failing of this book is that because it aims to be as relevant to those beginning their management journey as in mid-career, you should have picked up some of his tips yourself by your second year in, or first yearif you're intuitive. Should you reach the exalted position of say, CEO, you may discover that you are not the leader. But with the help of the chapter on Mastering Leadership you may be able to remedy the situation. However not even Jo Owen has advice for what he calls the "essential art" of managing the expectations of your Board and investors, preferably at the same time.

In How To Lead, Jo Owen omits so much as a glance at opposing views and it would have been valuable to see some debate if only to enable the reader to judge for themselves whether to adopt the behaviour and practice being advocated. However you will certainly smile as you recognize the scenarios he describes and the leadership antics that are being repeated in a thousand organisations every where, every day.

Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group or Classroom Study (Nonviolent Communication Guides)
by Lucy Leu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 April 2011
Our practice group used this workbook for the first year or so. We were all beginners then. We facilitated the sessions ourselves, successfully thanks to the tips and hints as well as the exercises in this book.

Mind Maps at Work: How to be the best at work and still have time to play
Mind Maps at Work: How to be the best at work and still have time to play
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars The world of business & work in mind maps, 7 April 2011
The words 'at work' in smaller letters on the cover defines the examples used in this book. Somehow I missed them when I bought the book which was for me an introduction to the world of Mind Mapping. From the tiniest enterprise to the biggest corporation, Buzan shows that mind mapping is relevant. Business information is quickly captured and arranged as it will be used, via colourful branched diagrams with unlimited potential to grow and grow. Hmm....if I can just find where I drew the blue branch with the words "I need to talk to my bank manager?"

Soul Gospel
Soul Gospel
Offered by Smaller World Future

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul music yes, not so sure about the Gospel bit, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Soul Gospel (Audio CD)
Its soul all right and the bluesy voices are fantastic. The compilation put me in mind of the era of the Civil Rights movement - quite a few of the songs are protest songs. I'm not sure why the 'gospel' got into the title.

First Things First
First Things First
by A. Roger Merrill
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars important if not urgent, 7 April 2011
This review is from: First Things First (Audio CD)
I bought the Audio CD abridged of First Things First. It has some great ideas. When these are presented as visual or audio metaphors they communicate well via the medium of audio because you can picture them. For example he says four things inhabit the space between stimulus and response - conscience, self awareness, creative imagination, independent self. This is a statement that I will not forget. On the other hand, some of the wordy passages are tough and he is really into counting things, 3 of this, 4 of that and 7 of the other which is a bit wearing after the 5th time in as many sections. The CD is really fast-paced without any breaks. I tried to listen to it on the train, but had to stop and mull awhile every 7 minutes or so, at the end of each section.

The content is a 'must' for procrastinators. It will help you work out what you really wish came first for you, as opposed to all the things you assumed and which if you are like me, you keep putting off. however first things first, so go get the CD.

Solar Power Your Home For Dummies
Solar Power Your Home For Dummies
by Rik DeGunther

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 24 Sept. 2010
This book helps you to understand your watts from your volts, and features a number of interesting small but useful projects too. It made me much more careful about how much mainstream energy I consume.

Kingston DataTraveler 100 (Capless) 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Red)
Kingston DataTraveler 100 (Capless) 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Red)

2.0 out of 5 stars No more retractable Usbs please, 24 Sept. 2010
I bought two of these memory sticks. They have a retracting USB which is ostensibly a good idea compared with a cap that is easy to lose. The problem is that its difficult to stop it retracting so that you can put it into a USB socket. From day one I found this frustrating. It kept sliding smoothly back into the case, just as I was about to get it in. Its worse when you're trying to reach USB sockets in an awkward position, e.g. located near the floor or where there's no space for manoeuvre because you have to keep your thumb firmly on the little lever to stop it retracting. One of the sticks seems to have died on me now, after 24 months of occasional usage. I mean I got it into my computer, but the data is no longer accessible.

Nonviolent Communication
Nonviolent Communication
by Marshall B. Rosenberg
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Its about understanding your needs and others', 14 Feb. 2007
This pack of 4 CDs has all the main ideas found in the book Non Violent Communication: a language of life, but with Marshall explaining the concepts and expressing the emotions in his own voice, its a more relaxing way to learn. If you are the kind of person who can listen to a talk on the radio, you will like it, but if you need loads of variety or your attention span is short then these CDs could be tough going. For anyone who has listened to Speaking in Peace you will recognise some of the material, thankfully minus the songs, although some people might like them.