Profile for Dr Derek Brawn > Reviews

Content by Dr Derek Brawn

Dr Derek Brawn "Studio Del" (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Victorinox Swiss Army Brown Leather Pouch 5-8 Layer
Victorinox Swiss Army Brown Leather Pouch 5-8 Layer

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised - compact, fits well, opens/closes easily., 26 Nov. 2014
When I opened the package from Amazon and saw this very compact leather pouch I was a little concerned that it would be too small for my Swisschamp, however it fits perfectly and I'm amazed at how sleek & slim this belt holder is (the photo does not do it justice). Also the other really positive point is just how snug it fits on my leather belt - there is no movement whatsoever, it just stays upright plus to move it along my belt to my hip (or whatever) so as to make it more comfortable when I'm seated, takes a bit of effort which is great as this will not slide around back n forth. Finally the Velcro fastener is far superior to a stud fastener, it works really well both opening and closing (no fiddling to snap down the cover).

Overall very pleasantly surprised. Exceeded all expectations at this price point, so great value, great product. Get one if you have a Swiss Army knife, you certainly will not regret it.

Zippo Armor  Lighter - High Polish Brass
Zippo Armor Lighter - High Polish Brass

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 26 Nov. 2014
This is my second Zippo lighter ever, the last one lasted more than 20 years but was lent to a friend never to be returned. This one is brass as opposed to my last one which was highly polished chrome. As soon as I opened the box (which was incredibly small btw) and took it out, I filled it with fuel noticing that now there is a fuel pin-hole in the retaining foam at the base of the wadding, so really easy to fuel up - just pushed the plastic nozzle into this hole (my last lighter you used to have to lift the foam part to squirt lighter fuel directly into the wadding) and hey presto lit first time! Just as you would expect from a Zippo. Have tried it outdoors in the blustery weather and has not gone out until I deliberately closed the lid. Zippo lighters are so reliable and durable and so easy to buy replacement parts for. My leather Zippo belt-holder is complete again.

Only thing about brass Zippo lighters is that they do get micro-scratches really easy, especially around the base area on the lower sides, but they do polish up well with Brasso. Mine is scratched on day 1, but that only makes it look like its been used. These are functional items and not ornaments, so it does not bother me in the least.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Write speed is faster at 180MB/s, but Read speeds are no different to regular SATA III HDD, 1 Aug. 2014
First off, it took 9 hours to clone my old Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA HDD across to this new 2TB SSHD, largely due to the 2 successive failed attempts using Seagate DiscWizard software - the first failure was after 4.5 hours and was almost done, the second failed after just 1 hour and 20 mins. Then I re-initialized the new SSHD as GPT and not MBR (Master Boot Record) even though the Seagate DiscWizard Manual said it was okay to use either format for drives up to 2.2TB in size and to use MBR for older OS like XP or Vista. However what the manual DOES NOT tell you is that you should always format all new drives as if they were just a standard data drive (thus initialize as GPT) irrespective of size, before you copy the clone across to them even though you intend the new drive to be an OS BOOT or SYSTEM DRIVE!

*** Please note: when your PC sees this new SSHD for the 1st time, initialize as GPT and not MBR ***

Okay teething problems aside. this new hybrid drive is working fine now - although I did need a "PC Restart to Repair C:\ Drive Errors" just 24 hours after I began using it as my local drive. The main advantage is the higher WRITE speed thanks to the bigger memory cache buffer i.e. the in-built 8 GB of flash memory that distinguishes this SSHD from a regular SATA III HDD. I am now getting a minimum of 180 MB/s sustained write speeds (sometimes more), but slighter slower READ speeds than my external 3TB HDDs via a USB 3.0 cable (about 15 MB/s slower). However, when compare to my older (as in 4 years old) 1TB SATA HDD that was my C:\ system drive before this week, the READ speeds are higher -> about 20% faster whilst the WRITE speeds are +100% higher (so in effect double what I was getting before).

Shutdown times have fallen to just 16 secs, but Cold Boot from start times are no better than before, and that's with few startup programs enabled - still takes about 55-60 seconds from power on to see the desktop icons settle on my monitor and for the PC to become responsive to user input. Hence the 4-Stars and not 5. That plus slower read times than my external Seagate drives and the problems I had with cloning my old C:\ drive to this one.

Pros

(1) Writes about twice as fast as older SATA I/II HDDs and about +15% faster than new SATA III Barracudas
(2) Offers reasonable value when compared to the normal 2TB SATA III HDD (costs about £25 more) but offers 8 GB flash memory too and is WAY CHEAPER than even a 240 GB SSD
(3) Gives off less heat than the older HDDs (I tried both in an external USB 3.0 caddy and I could touch this one without getting my palms burnt) and uses less power too -> about 4.5 to 5 watts (older HDDs I have use 7 watts minimum)
(4) CrystalDiskMark 3 performance benchmark tests show that it is only slower at reading SEQ (Sequential) files than new SATA III HDDs, but in all other tests e.g. Random 512K and 4K as well as 4K QD32 it blows away conventional Seagate HDDs in both READ + WRITE tests (so only marginally slower in the large file sequential test, but in the other 7 out of 8 tests - 4 READ + 4 WRITE it scores higher)

Cons

(1) Larger drives may be difficult to clone/take an inordinate amount of time -> failed to work initialized as 'MBR'
(2) Around 1/3 as fast as SSD when it comes to READ speeds and roughly 1/2 as fast in WRITING to disc, so a marginal improvement over conventional hard drives, but not in the same league as SSD flash drives
(3) Task Manager -> Performance -> Disc 0 (C:) shows that these drives often stay at 100% even after all Programs are closed and internet disconnected (probably the learning function, but it does slow down the PC a bit for a short while; min or two)

Conclusion:

Would I buy another one? Yes. I'm actually considering a 4TB SSHD to replace my other internal older 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive for 3 reasons: (1) No need to clone, just insert, bootup, enter Disk Management and initialize as GPT then format as NTFS -> so very easy to incorporate and good on power consumption & heat thrown off, (2) Price at £133 is only marginally more expensive than 4TB NAS approved Seagate and the same as an external regular 5900 RPM USB 3.0 Expansion drive -> so there is reasonable value, and (3) I have a use video library (> 10 Terabytes) and I'm constantly copying & moving files around e.g. every .MKV I download is immediately converted to .MP4 using Movavi SuperSpeed so fast WRITE speed is important to my particular needs (converting a 2 GB movie to .mp4 in 8-9 seconds is great!!). Everyone who uses a PC and copies big files knows that thanks to memory cache the initial speed is very good then often it falls a little and settles at a constant rate, with that extra internal flash RAM on-board these SSHD write fast continuously without any drop-off and I've really noticed this even when copying files back from USB 3.0 external drives, that I'm getting +30 to +35 MB/s gains in sustained rates. Seagate are a good brand and these SSHD do work well, although I may need to use for a few weeks more to see if the adaptive process yields any benefits once it learns which apps I use a lot (so far no discernible difference with Excel/Access/Photoshop/Premiere Pro etc.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2014 2:26 PM GMT

The Friendly Swede - Thin Tip High Precision Stylus Pens with Replacement Tips (Aqua Blue 5.5 inch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Stylus with Soft head. Glides across my Surface 2 without marks!, 8 July 2014
These rubber tips are actually hollow pieces of incredibly soft rubber that feel more like satin or paper to the touch. I've played with this stylus on my iPhone 4S and I had to use a little bit more pressure than I did when I used it on my Surface 2 tablet, but it works great, especially on the latter.

Do not get any stylus with a thicker head as you will have difficulty writing, taking notes etc. This slim stylus with a thinner head seems to be just about right. The lanyards are a bit gimmicky, so I choose not to use. The additional tips are most welcome as is the free cleaning micro-fibre cloth, but time will tell how long these tips actually last.

Fisual 3m Install Series Mini-Toslink to Optical Cable
Fisual 3m Install Series Mini-Toslink to Optical Cable
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality at a Low Price!, 8 July 2014
I'm using this product to connect my expensive sound card in my PC: a Creative Sound Blaster Live Titanium HD, to my Onkyo Amp or AV-Receiver. It works great, same as my last fiber optic cable but is 3x as long for less money than I spent on my original cable (which had a bent Toslink connection due to stretching cable to reach PC under my desk).

I've run a few tests at 44.1 KHz as well as 48 & 96 KHz, as well as playing back HD movies with Dolby 5.1 surround sound and DTS, plus some of my TV shows in MP4 format with either stereo or AC3 surround, and all play fine. There is very little that can go wrong with what is essentially a glass thread, apart from the sockets/plugs. The plugs on this Fisual cable appear to be very sturdy plus the cable seems to be quite thick, much much thicker than my older Toslink cable, so this must be padded or shielded or whatever as the internal glass filament is quite thin.

I'm using audio separates for more than 30 years and have spent big money in the past on expensive cables (hundred quid plus sort of territory), but this low-cost cable is of a surprisingly high quality, therefore comes very highly recommended.

EasyAcc® Superspeed USB 3.0 4 Port Bus-Powered and Self-Powered 2-in-1 Hub with 3.3 ft USB 3.0 Cable for Mac,iMac,MacBook Pro Air,Ultrabooks,Microsoft Surface RT,Laptops,Raspberry Pi,and any PC,Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dual-Purpose Device, Fast & Light!, 8 July 2014
Absolutely love this little 4-port hub with extra DC 5V power. It is powering 3 devices right now a 1 TB portable self-powered Toshiba HDD, as well as a 64 GB USB 3.0 memory stick and an old USB 2 Maxtor 750 GB external drive (that I intend to cannibalize for the SATA drive inside). This product is extremely lightweight (I'd go as far as to say 'featherweight'), but I intend to keep it plugged in on my desk just in front of my main PC monitor (for easy access). This hub saves me bending down and trying to access the back of my desktop under my desk behind my sub-woofer and a chest of drawers, so a real pain in the butt (no more down on hands and knees).

I also intend to use this as an expansion port hub for my Microsoft Surface 2 tablet, so this product has multiple uses for me.

I almost purchased the 7-port hub, but as my PC already has 4 x USB 3.0 ports with 2 permanently in-use, the 3rd now giving access to this little 4-port hub, means I still have one free at the back of my PC, so I did not feel the need for a larger hub. Moreover, as I intend to use this hub with my Surface tablet away from home, I felt the 7-port hub was too big, whereas the 4-port is just right.

I can highly recommend this 4-port hub with additional power supply socket (the latter is important if you intend to use self-powered portable drives and/or multiple external HDDs)

Finally I can confirm File Transfer speeds of 70 MB/s using an external 1 TB Toshiba Stor.E Partner HDD which is identical to the transfer speed that I get with this same drive plugged directly into the back of my PC, thus this 4-port hub does not hinder transfer speeds at all
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2016 11:53 PM GMT

Etekcity® Universal Dual 6dBi Band Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wireless Signal Booster USB Adapter 802.11 B/N/G 300Mbps Wifi Network Adapter with Omni-Directional Dual Antenna Removable

5.0 out of 5 stars Works way better than single antenna USB wireless adapter!, 8 July 2014
Way better than my old RealTek RTL8191SU USB 2 wireless LAN antenna which was causing me some problems when connected to the front USB port of my desktop PC -> meant that my other USB ports on that side of my PC were not usable e.g. when plugged in a USB flash drive the internet would either disappear or the memory stick would not be visible.

This product gives me 100 percent signal strength all of the time. Plus the software that came with it (choose RT3072 from the 4 sub-directories on the Drivers DVD) works really well and provides some basic additional functionality such as channel switching etc.

This dual-antenna wireless adapter actually cost less than my older one (which I bought at PC World for almost double what I paid for this new one) and works way better. Even network speed test App in Windows shows that I'm getting faster connection speeds - I knew I had a problem when my Surface 2 built-in antenna was getting 87 Mbs and my desktop PC with external wireless adapter was getting 32-40 Mbs. Now with this product I'm getting 57-63 Megabits per second or at least 6.5 MegaBytes per second "sustained" when downloading movies/TV shows.

Clearly, as all online tech reviews show: 2 x antennae are better than 1 when it comes to 'Signal Quality' as well as 'Signal Strength'.

The specification on the box says that this product has a range of 1500 metres which sounds a bit much, however, I can confirm that using this wireless antenna that I can now see twice as many available connections in Windows (practically all of my neighbours!). What is important to me is the "permanent 5-bars signal strength" wireless reception icon on the bottom right corner of my computer screen, plus this price is cheap, so this unit offers tremendous value. Highly recommend this, will save you time downloading stuff in the long run.

TeckNet USB 3.0 Hard Drives Docking Station With Highly Durable ABS Plastic for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch SATA HDD (SATA I / II / III) Support 8TB & UASP, Including USB 3.0 Cable and External Power Supply, Tool-Free
Offered by Innovation Goal UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with older 2.5 inch + 3.5 inch HDDs, 8 July 2014
Just got this item today, but worked immediately with 2.5 inch older laptop 60 GB drive that I took from my PS3 when I upgraded it to a larger one; now reformatted as NTFS and used as a backup for documents and spreadsheets, it is giving me a steady 38.9 MB/s file transfer rate using the USB 3.0 connection. This is very good for such an old HDD that was purchased in early-2007.

I have also used this to backup a lot of really large FLAC files as well as a JPeG library from my Canon DSLR onto a 5-year old 750 GB SATA I/II HDD that I salvaged from an old Maxtor USB 2 external drive. It is now working flawlessly and allows me to also backup a lot of program setup folders from 'My Downloads' sub-directory on my main C:\ drive, thus freeing up much need gigabytes.

Pros

(1) Very solid and sturdy device, actually feels good
(2) Has 4 small rubber feet so does not slide around my desk/shelf
(3) HDDs fit in without any effort at all (had to double-check that drive was in) no need to push
(4) Transfer speeds are quite respectable, although not as fast as a dedicated external drive
(5) Separate "Power On/Off" button is nice to have, most external drives just have DC input but no Off/On button!
(6) Nice large USB 3.0 plug/socket at unit end with standard USB 3.0 plug at PC end (will never pop-out accidentally)
(7) Great value at this price point, cheaper than most USB 2.0/3.0 external cases, but way more flexible
(8) Will enable me to clone my 200GB Laptop drive to new 2.5 inch SSD drive now (for same price as USB to SATA cable!!)

Cons

None that I can see so far, but will update this review if required.

Conclusion: I would recommend this to others without hesitation.

*** Came supplied with UK 3-pin power supply Model: SAW30-120-2500 Input 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.8A Output: 12V 2500mA
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2017 8:29 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as the ones you get in an electrical store. Genuine, 9 May 2014
Printer inks are so expensive nowadays, it seems the prices are creeping up all the time, even in your regular supermarket, so its always a good idea to get these genuine HP cartridges at a better price. I've tried generic replacements in my HP all-in-one printer and they just do not work as they show up as problematic, hence the printer is always suggesting head alignment and insists on printing test pages - so get the genuine ones is always the best advice.

Dormy Stamp Pad Ink 28ml Black
Dormy Stamp Pad Ink 28ml Black
Offered by Stamp Design 4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 9 May 2014
These replacement inks are very economical & represent good value at this price. Also they work great without any smudges.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5