Profile for dawnage > Reviews

Merlin - Complete BBC Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Morgan
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 April 2012
I didn't watch the first series of Merlin when it first came on television, but caught up by series 3 and was instantly hooked. Each series gets better and better, and this one is no different.

It's gone down a darker route compared to the other series', but it's much better for it. I'm glad that they're moving the story along with the legends (Arthur becoming King, the betrayal of Gwen and Lancelot(though not exactly how I imagined it would pan out), the sword in the stone and Gwen and Arthur's marriage). Despite all of this happening in just 13 episodes, it never feels rushed and there is humour in-between all the serious stuff.

It's also nice that the Knights have more of a role now.

The only thing that could be changed is the over-use of slow motion. It can be effective in some scenes, but too much of it makes an episode drag along, especially in episode 12-13. It didn't need all that slow motion gimmick, every now and then would have sufficed. But every time it seemed there was a fight or someone walking through the castle there was slow motion involved. It wasn't needed! Otherwise, the fight scenes were much more realistic than they have been previous series' (except for the lack of blood. It seems no one in Camelot bleeds!)

I can't wait to see what they do for series 5.

Moll Flanders (Wordsworth Classics)
Moll Flanders (Wordsworth Classics)
by Daniel Defoe

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle., 27 April 2012
It might be because I had to read it for university, but 6 months on and I'm still on page 100. I can't bring myself to go further.

Defoe has definitely put across a message about life and how to treat others. I really like the way he's made out in the first few pages that 'Moll' wrote this herself as if she is real. It makes the message clear, but the story is incredibly unrealistic.

And the main point of irritation to me was the use of capital letters every other word or so. There were no chapter breaks either, so it was one long-running story. A few breaks now and then would have been better.

I hope I can finish it one day.

Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus (Penguin Classics)
Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus (Penguin Classics)
by Mary J Shelley

2.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat, it is not., 27 April 2012
Just as another book I just reviewed (Catcher in the Rye), I wanted to read this as I'm going through a "classic novels" phase. And similar to CitR, this is incredibly dull. I struggled to finish it, and forced myself to read to the end.

It's a bit monotonous, and it's a character basically moaning "poor me!" through it. The only part I enjoyed was the monster's story, as it was nice to get someone else's perspective instead of Frankenstein's moaning!

Perhaps it was a bit ruined for me after I watched the National Theatre's 2011 version, as I felt that it was more indepth in terms of character development and focused a lot more on the monster. Maybe if I had not seen the play first, I might have really enjoyed it, but I just couldn't get into it properly.

The Phantom of the Opera (Collins Classics)
The Phantom of the Opera (Collins Classics)
by Gaston Leroux

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, but brilliant, 27 April 2012
If you buy and read this after having seen the musical on stage or on film, then be prepared to be shocked. It is different in many many ways.

I won't spoil the plot of the novel (as that where the most difference lies), but the section where Christine gets kidnapped by the Opera Ghost to his lair and Raoul goes after them is brilliant. I wish they'd kept that bit when creating the musical, it was incredibly exciting. (The musical version is much more tame than this!)

I wish there would have been more insight into the Opera Ghost's thoughts, as it was only evident in one of the last chapters. There's more emphasis on Raoul, while not necessarily a bad thing, gets a bit boring at times.

I bought this after being a fan of the musical for years, and I regret not having read it sooner.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected. In a bad way., 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
As I'm studying English Literature at university, I'd thought I'd try and read as many "classic" novels as I could just to broaden my literature knowledge.

I expected a lot more plot than there was, and all it is is a teenage boy moaning about this and that. I disliked the grammar that was used, and the repetition.

I'm glad I've read it, but I wouldn't read it again.

Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars How can you compete with this?, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Every writer in the country (and across the pond, if the idea of an American modern day Sherlock goes ahead) will curse Sherlock. It is the best television programme I have ever seen, and that says a lot.

Clever, witty, imaginative, faithful, funny and downright brilliant. The acting this series was phenomenal, and it will be a travesty if Benedict Cumberbatch doesn't get a BAFTA this year-Reichenbach Fall nearly had me in tears with his performance.

I can't recommend this highly enough.

And I was very happy with Amazon for delivering it to me days before it's release, making me a very happy lady.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Gary Oldman

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, if at times confusing, 30 Nov. 2011
I'll confess I had never watched the television series or read the novel before when I went to see this. I have by now read the novel, and although there are many changes in the film (for example, the story of Peter Guillam), it doesn't detract from the plot. So many characters confused me for a while and the "spy terms" used in the dialogue, but once I got into it I was completely mesmerised.

The performances are excellent. Gary Oldman is magnetic, and during the scene where he tells Guillam about meeting Karla I couldn't take my eyes away from his performance. The supporting actors also do their share; especially Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong and Tom Hardy. I'm a huge fan of Cumberbatch's work, but this cemented the fact he's an amazing actor and a rising star in Hollywood. Even the "cameos" by Kathy Burke, Stephen Graham etc are great, so the performances are faultless.

The cinematography was stunning, but at times I couldn't keep up with the scenes going from one thing to another.

I don't feel the running time is too long, but my friend did fall asleep beside me. The film is in no way dull, but this type of genre is not her favourite. It isn't mine either, but I found it very captivating.

It would help reading the novel first, because I won't deny I was lost on some accounts. But I followed the story for the most part, and it doesn't detract from the perfomances or the cinematography. Can't wait for the dvd.

And I think it fully deserves awards next year.

Oxford School Shakespeare: Much Ado About Nothing
Oxford School Shakespeare: Much Ado About Nothing
by William Shakespeare

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, bad cover, 1 Nov. 2011
This is a good version of the play to have, as there's plenty of notes that will come in handy and enough room around the text to write your own notes. It's not quite as detailed as I hoped it would be in comparison with other versions. Like another reviewer said, the cover is a bit flimsy and when it arrived it was already bent around the edges (something I'm a bit picky with).

All in all, useful for anyone who just wants to enjoy the play rather than study it.

The Norton Anthology of English Literature: Middle Ages Through the Restoration and the Eighteenth Century v. 1
by Stephen Greenblatt

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 1 Nov. 2011
I had to buy this and the second volume for my English course for University, and when I saw the price I was annoyed to part with some of my student loan. But after getting it, I realise it was a great investment. I was familiar with some works in it, but not all and it is brilliant to discover new (although obviously not new in writing) stories/plays/poems etc. The price is actually quite reasonable as it is much more expensive everywhere else. Yes, it's 3000 pages and heavy to carry around but again, very useful.