Profile for Green Trees > Reviews

Content by Green Trees

Green Trees "Nässjöbäcken" (York, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Survivor: The Shocking and Inspiring Story of a True Champion
Survivor: The Shocking and Inspiring Story of a True Champion

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 Nov. 2015
Interesting, but not so well written.

Damascus Trance
Damascus Trance

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Damascus Trance (Kindle Edition)
It is a short story, and well written. It suggests many things rather than spell them out, yet you somehow learn more. I liked it a lot.

Persian Brides
Persian Brides

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one, 15 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Persian Brides (Kindle Edition)
Our book group has just read this book. We ended up wondering what the author was thinking when she wrote this. Tha characters lacked depth, it is profoundly misogynistic, and says nearly nothing about the place of religion in the household. Yes, customs, certainly, but not anything that I could call spirituality or moral guidance. I struggle to understand why this became such a big hit in Israel. Sofia's one star review summed it upoaeticularly well. Looking for a book to read? Chose another one.

Tales from Moominvalley
Tales from Moominvalley

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Aug. 2015
Tove Jansson is the best for young and old.

Swedish Mentality
Swedish Mentality
by Ake Daun

5.0 out of 5 stars nevertheless gave me a far better insight into Swedishness, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Swedish Mentality (Paperback)
This book, written in the eighties, nevertheless gave me a far better insight into Swedishness. It is scholarly, with all the usual care taken not to stereotype, but gives plenty of food for thought.

Modern Day Vikings: A Practical Guide to Interacting with the Swedes (Interact Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, but some years old, 7 Jun. 2014
As someone who grew up in Sweden, but who has lived elsewhere for 30-40 years, I found this fascinating. Clearly many of my values and attitudes are marked by my part Swedish roots. I have just finished reading this the day after the Swedish national day, and yesterday I saw many comments from Swedes about how Sweden is the best and all should be done to spread the model elsewhere. That attitude prevails. No comment that they can also learn from others. The other side of the coin was the comment in this book, near the end, how Swedes are learning from others and becoming more flexible. This was in particular vis-vis American workplaces. But the authors failed to comment that maybe American workplaces could also benefit from learning something from Swedes. That was an irritation to me.

Abraham's Children
Abraham's Children

3.0 out of 5 stars Such an important message, but the book needs substantial editing!, 27 April 2014
It is such a shame. The author writes about something that is so important and it is a brave attempt. But, why, oh why, did she not ask for help with editing! Sadly, for me, the story gets lost in vast amount of unnecessary detail and side stories, dreadful punctuation and simply by just being far too long at around 800 pages. If it was edited down by 1/3 it would probably carry the message far better! It is crystal clear the author cares deeply about the topic, and appears to know well what she is talking about, and for that I give her 5 stars. I just wish it was matched with the quality of writing in this book!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 8:37 PM BST

Kopparberg - Mixed Fruit - Premium Swedish Cider - 15x500ml Bottles
Kopparberg - Mixed Fruit - Premium Swedish Cider - 15x500ml Bottles
Offered by a2zdrinks Express Delivery

1.0 out of 5 stars One star is generous!, 18 April 2014
Cider? No, it really isn't! Over sweet, sickly stuff tasting as if it is from the cheapest supermarket squash with some alcohol. I am Swedish - I will never buy it again! If I want cider I will buy the proper stuff, any cheap supermarket version of British cider is better.

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Swedes (Xenophobe's Guides)
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Swedes (Xenophobe's Guides)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but lacking., 29 Sept. 2013
It's OK, and explains some Swedish foibles. However, there is no depth, but then it isn't that kind of a book.

Fishing In Utopia: Sweden and the Future That Disappeared
Fishing In Utopia: Sweden and the Future That Disappeared

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it, but it isn't perfect!, 29 Sept. 2013
As a Swede, now living in another country, I found this book fascinating. It added understanding for me to the country I come from. I don't agree with all he says, but then there are obviously variations. I am no fisherman, but I liked the almost lyrical descriptions of his experiences with nature when he fished - and that feels very Swedish. Sweden is a large space for not very many people, so there is lots of nature around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4