Profile for Jumbone > Reviews

Magyk: Septimus Heap, Book One
Magyk: Septimus Heap, Book One
Offered by Audible Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars My 7 year old loves it., 20 Dec. 2014
My 7 year old is thoroughly enjoying this in Audiobook format.

From my adult perspective I'm finding it hard going. There are so many characters and the story is told through numerous points of view... or rather numerous points of view are told within this story and I wondered if each point of view was really pertinent to the core plot.

There were so many protagonists that I wondered who's story this was. It seemed like it was about Septimus, who was pronounced dead in the first chapter and while it's clear that's not all that it seems, at chapter 31 we're still waiting for specific news on his situation. Jenna the runaway princess seems then to be the character to follow, but the voice that I hear most is that of Marcia - an adult wizard. Is it really her story?

Lots of imagination here - a rambling, magical-world-building adventure for younger readers / listeners. I play this for my kids at bed time or during peaceful Lego building time. I find that without a quiet activity to accompany the story it won't hold their attention.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children)
by Ransom Riggs

2.0 out of 5 stars A more jocular book than the sample suggests, 13 Dec. 2014
Positives and negatives. I found the author's style is fast paced and witty, but not to my taste especially. The concept, using old photographs to inspire the story, is fun but the novelty wasn't strong enough to carry the whole thing. Situations were created to inveigle more photos into the narrative giving the impression that there was more commitment to the gimmick than to the characters or plot.

There was potential for a darker, more serious monster story - the war crimes and dementia / sanity themes were introduced to great effect in the Kindle sample and the expectation was that these topics would appear later on. However this is a much more jocular book than the sample suggests, and when the war does return it has a pantomime feel.

I think this will be a thoroughly enjoyable read for many people, but I hoped for something a shade darker, with more believable characters and a more cohesive plot. It will be interesting to see what Tim Burton makes of it.

Act Two Secrets (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 13)
Act Two Secrets (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 13)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly useful despite typos, 24 Sept. 2014
I don't mind typos - the contend is solid.

I was frustrated several times when I turned a page (Kindle) to find that a number of words were missing. This seemed most often to happen after a hyphen (or that could have been my imagination). This was driving me freaking mental, until I realised the missing words reappeared as long as I read with a white or sepia background - trouble for me is I read a lot at night while settling the kids to bed, so I need that dark screen.

Anyway, the *content* is what matters to me, and Martell delivers. I've read a lot of books about fiction writing for novels and have found that Martell's screenplay angle presents even the same species of information in a new way that improves understanding and appreciation for story telling across genres. Besides which there was new material too, that I hadn't found in novel-focessed literature.

However you choose to tell your story, this stuff is gold, and very reasonably priced too. I will read more from this series.

Visual Storytelling (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 8)
Visual Storytelling (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars solid, insightful content makes up for typos, 13 Sept. 2014
I'd usually gripe about so many typos, but the content and it's easy communication style totally makes up for the errors. The impression is of a person so keen to deliver the information that he's not paused to spell-check. I don't mind - it's the information I wanted and this guy delivers.

"Shut UP!" He Explained: A Writer's Guide to the Uses and Misuses of Dialogue (Classic Wisdom on Writing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold, 29 Jun. 2014
Essential reading for anyone serious about writing. I was astonished by the depth and breadth of his book. Excellent literary examples demonstrate each technique. I love this book!

Divergent (Divergent, Book 1) (Divergent Trilogy)
Divergent (Divergent, Book 1) (Divergent Trilogy)

1.0 out of 5 stars Begins with an interesting premise, fizzles out rapidly, 4 Nov. 2013
I was struggling with a case of Reader's Remorse having raced to the end of the thrilling Hunger Games trilogy. Friends recommended Divergent as being similar; a dystopic future, science fictional elements and a compelling teenage romance.

I was intrigued by the free preview and enjoyed the idea of a future where people chose to align themselves to the values they felt most important; honesty, love, selflessness, bravery, intellect.

Beyond that though, the book didn't offer much. The characters were vague, unrealistic shades. Their romance was dull and just didn't matter. Their exploits were pointless; just a drawn out series of induction challenges that left me wondering 'when will the actual story start?'.

The big action finale was poorly supported. Certain technologies were suddenly introduced to force the plot along. A character would be excised here and there but we hadn't really learned to give a tinkers about them and when they went it was hard to understand why they had been dragged into the plot in the first place.

The conclusion was tacky, unbelievable, and again poorly supported.

I'm just at a loss to understand what other readers are enjoying about this book. The romance was moribund. The universe poorly explored, the plot slow and contrived. The finale was forgettable. I felt not the slightest inclination to invest in the sequel and am alarmed to see how expensive the third and final one is.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2014 9:10 PM BST

Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Mar. 2013
What a lovely series. Even my kids are fascinated by these visual feasts. Excellent, compelling family viewing narrated by David Attenborough.

Marvel Iron Man 2 Movie 3 3/4" Movie Series Iron Man Mark VI with Power-Up Glow Action Figure
Offered by Toptoys2u Limited - Freepost on all orders over £24.99 for a limited time only - Expedited Shipping available at Checkout

5.0 out of 5 stars A great quality toy, 22 Feb. 2013
Very nicely put together. Petite, well modelled and painted. A very good quality toy. This review demands more words, but I've got nothing else to say about it!

First Illustrated Maths Dictionary (Usborne Dictionaries)
First Illustrated Maths Dictionary (Usborne Dictionaries)
by Kirsteen Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented book, 22 Feb. 2013
This is a great book with lovely, friendly illustrations to make early maths interesting and welcoming. One to dip in and out of I think as there is a lot of information there. Great for your young learner's educational library.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good for what it is, but recorders are better., 22 Feb. 2013
Trouble is I'm much more a recorder girl; the fingering is just too diferent and so I never really found the enthusiasm for this one. Yammaha make great cheap plastic recorders (the see through ones are fun) which I find easier to play and enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2