Profile for Darren Hayward > Reviews

Content by Darren Hayward

Darren Hayward (Bristol, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Offered by ONOGAL ELECTRONICA

3.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof and pricey at around £16 - better if the price drops., 24 Aug. 2017
I'll paste the description from above.

'Oxford Panoramic Coolmax Balaclava; Breathable, Insulating, Waterproof, for Motorcycling and Cycling 3376'

It is not waterproof. This is a close weave thin cotton Balaclava with a mouth and nose section that is a fine mesh on the outside and a bigger mesh inside. I ran the mouth/nose piece under the tap and then padded it off with kitchen towel and it seemed dry BUT its a mesh and won't keep the rain out.
On the plus side it has a good shape, has no annoying seems and is a decent sized fit. It would make a good balaclava for wearing under a motorcycle helmet but its less useful for cycling.

At around £16 its overpriced. £10 would be the most I would pay again, £6 or £7 would be more like it.

I've knocked off 1 star for the poor description and 1 star for the price. Once you realise what your getting for your money its an OK product.

Primus Thermoflask black
Primus Thermoflask black
Price: £13.69 - £30.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable little flask., 23 Aug. 2017
350ml

Bought one of these years ago and just bought a second. Excellent product. My older one has taken a battering over the years with no issues.
Recommended.

Ace Arts 3 Tray Cantilever Artists Craft Box. Storage for Art Materials, Media, Paints, Sewing, Knitting, Macrame, Embroidery etc.
Offered by Quay Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Firm without being stiff., 23 Aug. 2017
Good box. Needs a firm push to open without being overly stiff. Reasonable sized compartments but limited storage for longer items in the internal trays. The trays don't sit tightly together and if you drop the box smaller items can end up in a pile in the bottom. I nearly knocked a star off for this but that would be harsh because overall its a good storage box.

CatEye Volt 1600 EL1010 Rc Front-HL-EL1010RC Lights and Reflectors, Cycling - Black, NO SIZE

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of light., 23 Aug. 2017
I bought this back at the end of April (2017) when the price temporarily dropped to £125. I've now used it over the last few weeks and find it excellent.

It uses a USB connection for charging. I'm not a fan of USB charging but I can see the practical side of only having to carry a small USB cable to be able to charge up anywhere. However if plugging into, say, a PC the charge time is excessive at near 16 hours from flat. I purchased a USB charging plug that recharges from flat in 8 hours and that seems the way to go. I also use a 1m USB extension cable as the one supplied is quite short.

Its heavy and feels like a quality product. I do however find it a bit heavy for the standard CatEye handlebar mounting strap. When trying to 'double click' into high mode I find the whole thing moves slightly and I end up just going through the various modes one at a time. This is a minor issue and I expect I will quickly get used to it.

The amount of light given out is awesome. I have been using an older CatEye bought in 2009 that has finally packed up and I thought it was good.
This 1600 blows the older light away. The beam is wide and illuminates the sides of the road as well as a good distance ahead. With the older light I noticed a lot of cars would come right up to me without dipping their headlights. Well not any more. I have in fact had to make sure I angle the light down and slightly left to avoid blinding oncoming cars. Now that's my kind of cycle light.

Comes with a 2 year guarantee which doesn't include the battery. The battery is changeable but I couldn't find a spare with a simple Amazon search.

COLLECTORS - Wall Display Cabinet With Six Glass Shelves - Beech
COLLECTORS - Wall Display Cabinet With Six Glass Shelves - Beech
Offered by Watsons on the Web

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design - OK materials, 13 Jun. 2017
OK. I've put together two of these and I've ordered a third. They are very simple to put together but you need to be careful to get it just right. The sides are held in by 8 large bolts, 2 at each end. You want to put these together with the bolts only partially tightened. The sides don't sit quite straight if you just tighten the bolts straight away. Instead put the assembled frame on something flat and just line the sides up square and pushed right down against the flat surface and then tighten the bolts up so they are pinched tight and the frame is square in all dimensions. And don't over tighten the bolts too much or you can split the wood. Splitting isn't a big issue but just be aware that the materials the display case is made of are worth showing a bit of respect to. The rest of the assembly is straight forward although I'd recommend wearing gloves when handling the glass. My cases looked great until the sun came out and the fingerprints started to show.
In another review it was mentioned the glass shelves were too long. I suspect the design may have been modified (Its June 2017 as I write) because the shelves have 4mm of clearance at either end and they sit on a metal peg with a plastic sucker on to keep them in place. This works well.
I did think the cases were a bit small. I had the measurements before I purchased but I had the idea they would be bigger and I found I could fit 3 in the available space. This creates a problem. The large glass panel can slide out either side but if you have 3 or if you have 2 and 1 is up against a wall you can't get the glass out. I therefore didn't screw the cases to the wall but put them on a shelf and put a screw through the base at one end so the whole case can pivot out an inch and the glass slides out. I'm happy this is stable enough but if you have small children it might not be such a good idea. Possibly replacing the screw with a bolt as a pivot point would be more stable.

The usable depth is only 81mm. I've attached some photo's showing a Dinky toy Y wing fighter on its side because it won't fit in flat. Be aware that some larger Dinky toys might not quite fit. Measure any models carefully to ensure a good fit.

Overall a good purchase but not quite perfect.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Circular Kitchen Knife Rolling knife HAOGUDUO Stainless Steel Kitchen Kitchen Tools Protect Finger Artifact Universal For Vegetable Fruit Meat and Many More
Offered by HAOGUDUO

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing wrong with it but nothing to recommend it either., 29 May 2017
I've had one of these for a few months now. I used it to chop up various things at first but having to fiddle about removing the blade to clean it means any time saved cutting is lost cleaning. So there it sits in a drawer unused. It is effective if you need things chopped up really small but you'd need to do a lot of chopping to make this worthwhile, For the average cook I'd say don't bother.

Rolson 42309 Triple Leg Gear Pull Set - 3 Pieces
Rolson 42309 Triple Leg Gear Pull Set - 3 Pieces

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong and sturdy but need cleaning and loosening before use., 29 May 2017
Clunky and a bit stiff, oh and they come covered in oil or grease for storage I presume. That said they are strong and sturdy and do the job.

12x Mens Hard Wearing Work Socks - Safety Boot Socks - Excellent Quality - Warmth and Comfort Guaranteed Size 6-11 Black
Offered by BEST DEALS DIRECT UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Jekyll and Hyde reviews explained., 29 May 2017
I purchased one pack of these socks and was very pleased, so pleased I ordered two more packs. This is where it all went wrong. The second order did not contain the same socks (see pictures). This does explain the Jekyll and Hyde reviews. The correct socks are shorter and wider and they state 'Steel toe' on the pack. They also have brightly coloured heels as opposed to grey. The dodgy socks are longer and narrower and no where near as warm. I weighed both pairs and they weigh within a gram of each other so the longer sock must be thinner by definition. I did wear some to see what they were like. Well they are so tight they left marks on my calves. Once worn they couldn't be returned so I gave some to my daughter. She ended up doing the same thing I did - binned them. So an expensive lesson in sock buying, If you get the wrong ones you should return them as miss-described.
Amazon supplies these socks directly now and I can confirm the Amazon ones are the correct socks, although nearly a fiver dearer than some sellers.

As for an actual review these are lovely warm socks. My only gripe is that being of a warm open loop construction they are susceptible to damage. One of the seller descriptions warns not to pull them apart but to cut the plastic tie. Well I pulled instead and the tie doesn't break, it pulls right through the sock leaving a tiny hole where the knit of the sock could unravel. That said the socks have been through the wash 3 times now and the little hole isn't noticeably bigger so I'm happy I can get four or five months out of each pair and that's fine by me.
Comment Comment | Permalink

A-szcxtop Dazzle Colour Reflective Fashion Outdoor Sports Cycling bicycle Bike Fishing Driving Sunglasses Eyewear Glasses for Men and Women
Offered by HongTu

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault these...., 3 April 2017
For £1.99 I can't fault these at all. Ordered on 18th March, arrived 1st April. They were bought to replace a much more expensive pair with changeable lenses that snapped at the bridge. The lens in these is all one piece not two halves, thus should be stronger. The sides are wide with the piece that fits behind the ear straitened out slightly so they are pretty comfortable. Excellent value for money.

Be aware that there are two types, clear and sunglasses, that have the exact same description but different pictures. These were sunglasses. I have purchased both types.
I have compared them with some more expensive non cycling sunglasses and they do seem to offer a high degree of protection from sunlight, at least in a simple 'stand in the garden when its sunny' test.

Offered by HongTu

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault these..., 3 April 2017

Be aware that there are two types, clear and sunglasses, that have the exact same description but different pictures. These were clear. I have purchased both types.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10