Profile for Ase Johannessen > Reviews

Content by Ase Johannessen

Ase Johannessen

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Deadly Lampshades - a Honey Driver Mystery #5 (A Honey Driver Murder Mystery)
Deadly Lampshades - a Honey Driver Mystery #5 (A Honey Driver Murder Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars and have come to love the characters and the humour, 8 Nov. 2014
I've read several of the Honey Driver myseteries now, and have come to love the characters and the humour, as well as the twists and turns of the plots. In this case the elderly female James Bond was a funny and interesting addition. One thing that irritates me a bit in books with a female sleuth is that they always have to prove that they're capable, and so they go off on their own without telling anyone and put themselves in danger, and have to be rescued. Using some common sense is not the same as not being capable/ as clever as men or whatever it is they're trying to prove. Still, these books are great entertainment, I recoomend them, and will be reading more of them.

Killing Jane Austen - a Honey Driver Mystery #4 (A Honey Driver Murder Mystery)
Killing Jane Austen - a Honey Driver Mystery #4 (A Honey Driver Murder Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, 8 Nov. 2014
I enjoyed this book. In addition to all the twists and turns that made me sit up half the night to read it, there were also some interesting historical details which I didn't know, and I loved the characters. I'll be reading more of these books.

The Three Musketeers
The Three Musketeers

4.0 out of 5 stars but I like history andperiod costumes, 4 Nov. 2014
This is an old classic, and I've read it before, many years ago, in Norwegian, but I didn't remember that much. The language is a bit oldfashioned, but you get used to it. I guess in some ways it's an adventure book for boys, but I like history andperiod costumes, and I don't know much about France in the 1600s, so I found it interesting in that way. It's a bit stereotyped, e.g. one woman is unbelievably evil, the others are all pure and innocent and have to be rescued. The Musketters, the heroes of the story, can always get out of every quandary, even if they may get wounded in the process. I was not impressed with their morals, but according to the author those were the morals of that time. Still, an entertaining read.

Murder in Steeple Martin - A Libby Sarjeant Murder Mystery #1
Murder in Steeple Martin - A Libby Sarjeant Murder Mystery #1

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the different characters, 4 Nov. 2014
At first I found it difficult to keep track of who the many characters were, but I worked it out eventually. Once things began to happen I found it difficult to put the book down. I enjoyed the different characters. For some reason I worked out whodunnit quite early, but that didn't spoil it for me. If you like "cozy" murder mysteries you'll like this book. I'll definitely read other books in this series.

Something in the Blood - a Honey Driver Mystery #1 (A Honey Driver Murder Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars but it was a nice surprise. I found the characters interesting, 3 Nov. 2014
It's the first time I've read anything by this author, and I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a nice surprise. I found the characters interesting, and the twists and turns of the plot kept me in suspense. I'll definitely read more books by this author.

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

5.0 out of 5 stars and the cruel way the Jews and the poor were treated, 25 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ivanhoe (Kindle Edition)
I've read this book before,and also watched the television series many years ago. I always picture Elizabeth Taylor when I read about Rebecca the Jewess, and Roger Moore as Ivanhoe (was a bit surprised to find that in the book he's blond). The oldfashioned language made it a bit slow in the beginning, but I got into it. you canread it on the line of an adventure story or you can go deeper and see the conflicts between Sxons and Normans after the invation and in many years to come, and the cruel way the Jews and the poor were treated, and the bigotry of the upper classes, going to the Jews for money while treating them like dirt. There are several layers. It's a popular classic and I recommend it, it's relevant even though it's a long time since it was written.

Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice

5.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately there are more options these days, 25 Oct. 2014
I read this book the first time when I was doing a degree in English many years ago, in Norway, but I didn't remember that much and got more out of reading it this time. Jane Austen naturally reveals her characters' prejudices and personalitites through their chats and their actions, as well as giving a picture of society in the beginning of the 1800s. The oldfashioned language makes it a bit heavy going at first, but I got into it. Upper class girls in those days didn't have a very interesting life, all about catching a man.Fortunately there are more options these days.

Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice continued (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The author has managed to follow up Jane Austen's characters from "Pride and Prejudice" without trying to write like Jane Austen, 25 Oct. 2014
I'm a bit sceptical to books that are spin offs of the books of famous authors, but this one is OK. It gives an interesting picture of society in the early 1800s and the life of a young girl then, though limited to the upper classes. The author has managed to follow up Jane Austen's characters from "Pride and Prejudice" without trying to write like Jane Austen, and the language is easier to read, though at times I thought, surely they didn't use that expression then? The book is meant to be Georgiana Darcy's diary and is livened up with little scetches which are meant to be hers, which helps keep the interest in the story. I like it, and might read some of the other books that are part of the series.

Kemi's Journal
Kemi's Journal

5.0 out of 5 stars more like 18, but maybe that's not so unusual these ..., 25 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Kemi's Journal (Kindle Edition)
A Christian version of Bridget Jones. Kemi doesn't half get herself and others in trouble because she's so desperate to get married. However, all is well that ends well, at least in this case. I did think Kemi was rather immature for 28, more like 18, but maybe that's not so unusual these days? I recommend the book for light reading.

The Good Knight (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 1)
The Good Knight (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to read the rest of the series, 13 Oct. 2014
Well written, and with most of the main characters being people who actually lived at that time they come more alive to me. Reminds me of the Brother Cadfael books from the same time but by a different author. I'd like to read the rest of the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14