Profile for Stuie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Outskirts of Love
Outskirts of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 1 July 2016
This review is from: Outskirts of Love (MP3 Download)
Yesterday I had never come across this amazing woman's music. Now I am totally in love with her. Not only for the fabulous voice, but also for the music underlying her fireball delivery.

What a wonderful eclectic mix. Blues, soul, gospel... it's GORGEOUS. Shades of the inimitable Sister Rosetta Tharpe at times... and what a voice.

She has everything. Man, this is my 'find' of the year so far. I shall be buying all her other albums too. Magnificent.

The Story of Sonny Boy Slim
The Story of Sonny Boy Slim

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough!, 30 Jun. 2016
I was lucky enough to witness this guy live on stage for the first time last night at Brixton Academy (29/6/16), and I have come to the conclusion that the only way to fully appreciate his wonderful, languid, seemingly effortless style is by experiencing the 'real thing' on stage. I have been familiar with his work for some years, and always liked it very much.

Gary is without doubt a virtuoso, but what singles him out is the eclectic variety of influences in his music. He brings fabulous inventiveness to the blues-based fabric of his compositions, and this album reflects this perfectly.

It's a kaleidoscope of emotions, and above all a fine vehicle for his immense musical talent.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lloytron E886 Travel Kettle With Cups
Lloytron E886 Travel Kettle With Cups

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 29 May 2016
This is a cracking little product for the price, compact and handy. My only slight reservations involve a non-interchangable plug (it comes with a British 3-pin one permanently attached - but hey, it's only a tenner and I have any number of adaptors for various systems around the world). Boiling time isn't bad at all for such a small element, and the little cups are a thoughtful inclusion. Yep, very pleased with it.

As a postscript: I am delighted with this product. I do need my Yorkshire tea in the mornings, and this proved an invaluable addition to my suitcase for a recent trip to Portugal.

Let Me Get By
Let Me Get By

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 May 2016
This review is from: Let Me Get By (Audio CD)
Tedeschi and Trucks. 'nuff said. Pure class.

Outlander - Season 2
Outlander - Season 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad start, but..., 10 April 2016
It's a reasonable opener to a second series, if a little disjointed. I'll watch the next episode. But I fear that overall the series may meander a bit... However I'll give it a chance to convince me otherwise.

Right, after a few episodes, this has degenerated into a turgid 'Mills & Boon' waste of time. Utter rubbish, only for frustrated housewives with nothing better to do. I switched off after 10 minutes of the latest outpouring of pseudo-romantic guff. What a contrast to the blood and thunder of the first series.

Scriptwriters are running out of ideas, perhaps? Trying to spin out a six episode series into 10 episodes?

West of Flushing, South of Frisco [CD]
West of Flushing, South of Frisco [CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Riotous assembly, 19 Mar. 2016
This really tickled my fancy when I saw the 'guest list', I'm a major Walter Trout and Warren Haynes fan, and having witnessed live the monster drumming of Mr Aronoff when he stood in for Chad Smith at a Chickenfoot gig here in London a few years back, I had little doubt that this would be a winner. I haven’t previously come across the other two guys – Fabrizio Grossi (bass) and Lance Lopez (guitar), but I’d guess they have major reputations for Aronoff to get involved, not to mention Messrs. Haynes, Gibbons, Trout, Gales and Duarte.

The whole album is a bit of a riot, actually, lots of fabulous guitars and really meaty rhythms (great production as well) – my initial favourite track is ‘Bone Bucket Blues’, but I also really love a heavy funk number called ‘That’s My Way’, featuring Chris Duarte. Walter and Warren’s contributions, as you’d expect, are pure class, and the Billy Gibbons one is pretty good as well. Not to forget Robben Ford.

The assembled whole is a completely classy, but in some ways unassuming, album, not one less than brilliant track among the 13, but there are a lot of contrasting interpretations of the basic blues-rock genre. Variety is, methinks, the key to the collection's success.

In summary, it's loud, beautifully produced and above all, great fun! You just want to keep turning the volume higher and higher ... I'd give my eye teeth to see these guys live.

Ufixt® Universal Silver Control Knobs for Ovens, Cookers and Hobs (Pack of 6)
Ufixt® Universal Silver Control Knobs for Ovens, Cookers and Hobs (Pack of 6)
Offered by SJD Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars They're a gas!, 15 Mar. 2016
These are excellent! Rather than buying a new cooker hob, I'm 'refurbishing' an existing one, and these fit the bill perfectly – they look nice and work exactly as they should. AND we have two spares as well. The adapters fit a range of spindles, and more to the point there are no annoying little slivers of metal to disappear down the plughole when cleaning the knobs.

Black Sails, Season 3
Black Sails, Season 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - but slight dialogue irritations, 6 Mar. 2016
This is a rip-roaring story, quite compelling when one is in the mood for something rather less 'cerebral' in the form of entertainment. One thing that rankles slightly, though, is the American script editing. It just sounds plain weird to hear obviously British voices uttering things like 'skedule' and 'I will go find him'. That minor irritation aside, it's a good yarn that makes one want to see the next episode in the series.

Production is great, sound is wonderful (especially on a good headset), and the acting in the main rather good.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2016 10:34 PM BST

Ripper Street - Season 4 (Amazon Exclusive Cut)
Ripper Street - Season 4 (Amazon Exclusive Cut)

5.0 out of 5 stars Last two episodes...., 29 Feb. 2016
Just spoke with Amazon, apparently there is some sort of licensing issue regarding the last two episodes of Series 4. We just have to watch this space! Hope they are posted soon...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2016 5:17 PM GMT

Caseflex iPhone 6S Case Black Genuine Leather Flip Cover
Caseflex iPhone 6S Case Black Genuine Leather Flip Cover
Offered by Yousave Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, practical and smart, 25 Feb. 2016
This is perfect for the job. Combined with a tempered glass screen protector, it allows me to feel that my shiny new 6S is as safe as possible from accidental knocks, etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2016 10:08 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14