Profile for Zomby Woof > Reviews

Zomby Woof (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Over-Nite Sensation
Over-Nite Sensation

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling you all the Zomby troof here I'm is........................., 4 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Over-Nite Sensation (Audio CD)
This was my first real introduction to FZ and I was immediately knocked out by the quality of the music, from the very accessable 'Camarillo Brillo' and 'Dirty Love', to the strangeness of 'Fifty Fifty' and 'Montana'. Probably Franks' most revered and/or reviled piece of sexual satire comes in the form of 'Dinah-Moe Humm', complete with female backing soul singers that really add an edge to the piece. You also get comedy horror with 'Zomby Woof' and social comment with 'I'm the Slime' which is about the pernicious effect of television on our minds. It would be hard for me to say which is the best album but this one has to be in my top three. FZ is admirably accompanied on this recording by all the usual MOI members plus Jean-Luc Ponty on violin.

An Appointment with Mr Yeats
An Appointment with Mr Yeats

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeats greats, 8 Dec. 2015
If you have read any of my other reviews you will see that my lady friend and myself do not exactly have mutually compatable musical tastes but fortunately she loves the Waterboys so I took her to see them three years ago when this album came out. This W.B. Yeats tribute made all her Irishness come out, and one track in particular, 'Song of the wandering Aengus' made her a little emotional as the line 'I dropped a berry in a stream and caught a little silver trout' reminded her of her old Da' who sadly I never met. Just a little personal slant on this review as there is nothing to add to the other great reviews of this album.

Vodafone Smart First 6 Pay As You Go Handset Smartphone - Black
Vodafone Smart First 6 Pay As You Go Handset Smartphone - Black
Offered by gsm m

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so smart but maybe its me........, 17 Nov. 2015
I have never had the need for a smartphone but as this was only a fiver more than the basic little Nokia I had before I thought I may as well go for it. I may be a technophobe but I refuse to believe that this phone is easy to use. As with many of these products there is no instruction manual so I looked online and printed one off. However after trying for the last month to get to grips with this phone I have conceded to defeat. All its functions are at least awkward to use and some are very difficult especially texting. Lost the receipt so can't take it back--£25 wasted. Anyone want to buy it from me for £15?

Stormcock
Stormcock

5.0 out of 5 stars I never know what time of year it is, living on top of the fire........, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Stormcock (Audio CD)
Cant really add to the great reviews already on here, so I will just take this opportunity to give my personal view of the lyrics on 'Me and my Woman', some of which I wrote on the first Christmas card that I sent to my then girlfriend, now my fiance, which she said made her feel very drawn to me, and now forever refers to RH as 'The Robin Man', so all of you familiar with that song will know which lines I refer to. That wonderful song always reminds me of winter, sombre yet uplifting. Thank you Roy, I am forever in your debt!

The Endless River
The Endless River
Offered by actionrecords

3.0 out of 5 stars What film is this the score for then?, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
This is a rather remarkably unremarkable album but nontheless listenable to, although with its collection of mainly short unrelated instrumental tracks reminds me of the film score albums 'More' and 'Obscured by Clouds' of '69 and '72 respectively which were ok as it goes, but also sounded like a lot of out takes and filler material. There are also hints of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', Atom Heart Mother' and 'Saucerful of Secrets' without ever coming close to capturing the majesty of those pieces of music. I'll give it 3 stars because it isn't absolutely dreadful and is a nice undemanding sounding album to play in the car.

And Then There Were Three
And Then There Were Three

4.0 out of 5 stars It came as some surprise to me that I actually liked this album, 18 Aug. 2014
As I was one of those who lamented the departure of Peter Gabriel from Genesis and declared that they would never be the same without him, it came as some surprise to me that I actually liked this album. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering were acceptable albums but when Steve Hackett departed I really thought that it was all over. However, for me this album was the last substantial effort before the charts became their new domain, and the following album should have been called 'And Then They Were S***'
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 12:37 AM GMT

Selling England By The Pound
Selling England By The Pound

4.0 out of 5 stars I know what I like and its not The Prattle of Epping Forest!, 11 Mar. 2014
Sorry for the negative headline as this is a great album overall,but 'I Know What I Like' has to be the worst single ever from a prog rock band, and 'The Battle of Epping Forest' just irritates me beyond belief. Sure, its very clever and original but to me its unlistenable. Other than that, I agree that this probably was the peak of the Peter Gabriel period of Genesis, with the songwriting and arrangements displaying a new maturity. 'Dancing With the Moonlight Knight' and 'Firth of Fifth' and 'Cinema Show' are all lengthy and majestic pieces of music, with various changes in tempo and mood. Steve Hacketts' wonderful guitar work and Tony Banks' piano and organ take the band to a new dimension after the previous two albums 'Nursery Cryme' and 'Foxtrot', which were nonetheless both masterpieces in their own right.

Trespass (2007 Digital Remaster)
Trespass (2007 Digital Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars The real Genesis?, 28 Feb. 2014
This album firstly shows how the band very quickly matured after their awful and dated first offering 'From Genesis to Revelation'. Apart from 'White Mountain', which narrates the story of a wolf-pack, there is none of the story-telling of subsequent albums,as this is just pure music and descriptive lyrics. 'Looking for Someone' opens the album, a song that changes in tempo several times, with a slightly dulled yet driving drum sound, together with intricate organ, flute and guitar interplay and Peter Gabriels' voice at its distinctive best, 'Visions of Angels' is a sweeping, grandiouse organ and piano dominated piece, an almost 'pure' Genesis song. 'Stagnation' is a little disjointed in parts. but provides a contrast to the rest of the album. The shortest tracks on prog-rock albums are often just filler material and can be overlooked but 'Dusk' is a very beautiful and moving song,a little momet of reflection before the mighty 'The Knife', with its overtones of medieval war and battles, concludes a very fine collection of songs and music which I think (and I can almost hear many Genesis fans scoffing at the suggestion) may be their best effort. Sure its not as clever as most Gabriel-led Genesis albums, or as accessable as the material from the Phil Collins era, but for me, musically, it makes for the most pleasant listening.

Come Again
Come Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Tristan and Isolde revisited., 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Come Again (Audio CD)
This intellectual masterpiece by Cook and Moore cuts a swathe through the vast plethora of comedic offerings which can only aspire to be a fraction as humorous as this cleverley conceived foray through the magical world of Joan Crawfords' frontal derriere and the juxtaposition of public toilet characters Derek and Clive in a cubicle situation.
An equally masterful performance as two quintessentially ''Laaahndun'' mini cab drivers sees the interplay of anecdotal snippets of liasons with Bertrand Russell and Lord Bradwell cast an almost unprecedented insight into how the lives of the aristocratic and learned collide with the terminally fetid lives of those who are but one rung of the social ladder above those who weild a toilet brush.
'Hav in gawank' explores the joys and sorrows of life as we hear Derek firstly expressing the pleasure of having his membership in a lubricated toilet roll inner which was electrically connected to a train set causing sexual pleasure to ensue,which shows clearly the transition between childhood and youth. This later takes a downward plunge into disease and death. ''I've got cancer of the mortgage, cancer of the season ticket..........'', laments Clive. Priceless.
There are moments of musical joy too, as Derek sings an ode to his mother that brings a tear of bittersweet Oediposal climax to the eye in much the same way as Puccinis' operas. A truly uplifting and spiritually ascending selection of lifes finer moments pours into ones soul with all the force of high - level cistern. Magnifique!

Baron von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun
Baron von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music shame about the mix., 5 Dec. 2013
This is an excellent album from some of the JA gang with the title being David Crosbys' nicknames for Paul Kantner and Grace Slick.The music is great and there isn't a single duff track but the mix is a little subdued and distant. This works well enough on some tracks such as the dark and moody 'White Boy', with Grace Slicks' mournful wailings weaving through the background and the soulful and emotive 'Harp Tree Lament' but it is at the expense of the vocals--I have a very good hi-fi system but whether listening to speakers or headphones it is hard to follow the lyrics with only odd phrases and lines coming through. Oh well, I will just have to refer to the lyric sheet I suppose! It also feels like we don't hear the full benefit of the slightly out-of-sync harmonies of the simultaneous male and female vocals that were a Jefferson Airplane trademark. I think that some of the more upbeat songs such as 'Flowers of the Night' and 'Walkin' would benefit from a more forward presentation as would Graces' aggressive vocal on 'Across the Board'. Fantastic stuff though, and much better than some JA albums.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5