Profile for dr_trout > Reviews

Collins English Dictionary : Complete and Unabridged
Collins English Dictionary : Complete and Unabridged
by Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing original from Collin, 6 Sept. 2004
With this new dictionary, Collin hasn't made any vast changes to the old format. Aardvark still comes first and the ending is still, predictably enough, Zulu. Those who were hoping for a twist in the tale will be disappointed. As a story, however, this dictionary doesn't work any better than the previous attempts. True, it has lots of words, like all the best novels, but putting them in alphabetical order was perhaps not the best idea for producing an exciting action packed adventure. There was a bit part way through involving a metronome and a metropolis that was rather exciting, but apart from that, the dictionary is rather a bland affair.
I don't know if any of you are like me, but I'm being to find the old alphabetical format a bit predictable now, and if anything, Collin has made this worse by adding a contents page. For those readers hoping for something exciting and new, I'm afraid they'll be disappointed - this dictionary sticks strictly to the original format, with no new slants to it.
One thing that is missing, however, is an author biography. I for one am quite interested to find out a bit more about this mysterious Collin, where he was born, his childhood, and his education, but this is left to the reader's imagination.
Some people have criticised Collin's previous works, saying that they were "boring" but I find this a bit unfair. There are some shockingly good definitions, and I'd like to quote a few of my favourites that have stuck in my mind:
"Poster: a large sheet of paper announcing or advertising something for display in a public place (from post)." It is a "noun", and the plural is "posters".
Another sparkling definition is swipe: "1. Hit hard 2. (Informal) steal something." Swipe is, unlike poster a "verb".
Perhaps my own favourite definition can be found, memorably halfway down page 288. "Fudge: a soft sugary sweet. (Origin unknown)". It is also a "noun".
If that doesn't persuade you to give it a look, I don't know what will. Maybe there won't be enough changes for people who bought the previous edition, but for people who haven't read a dictionary before, this is definitely worth a read. And collectors, too, of course.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 6:37 PM BST

James Bond: The World Is Not Enough (N64)
James Bond: The World Is Not Enough (N64)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bond Game to end all Bond Games, 2 Dec. 2001
Ah, Bond is back, and is it about time? Yes it is, but the question is, was it worth the wait? The answer, again, yes!
It may be annoying you need a controller pack to save it, and sure, some of the one player levels may be slightly tricky but it's the multiplayer that really brings this game to life.
Goldeneye may have been good and before I player TWINE I would have agreed that Goldeneye boasted the best Multiplayer out, but now I have changed my mind, TWINE beats Goldeneye hands down. There are loads of multiplayer options and also you can add bots to a match. This is good, but what's even better is that you can play the multiplayer on your own against three bots.
I remember playing multiplayer games on Goldeneye, and how long I used to spend plugging the opponents with bullets before they would go down. An advantage with TWINE is that the characters have less health and this speeds the whole game up, making the multiplayer a hectic experience.
Perfect for beginners as well, not that any of you are.