Profile for SK > Reviews

Content by SK

SK (London United Kingdom)

The Mouse and His Child (FF Childrens Classics)
The Mouse and His Child (FF Childrens Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 13 Jan. 2016
This is a truly wonderful book for all ages. Funny, profound full of a wonderful pathos and wisdom. A true classic

The Wounded Storyteller: Body, Illness, and Ethics, Second Edition
The Wounded Storyteller: Body, Illness, and Ethics, Second Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and profound, 9 Feb. 2015
I enjoyed this enormously. An easy read but interesting and profound.

The Forty Rules of Love
The Forty Rules of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and profound, 10 Jan. 2015
I really enjoyed this. It's both accessible and profound. It got me wonderfully through a few days in bed with the flu. The themes are universal, but the writing style simple and engaging. Very enjoyable.

When Hungry, Eat
When Hungry, Eat
by Joanne Fedler

2.0 out of 5 stars Promisses more than it delivers, 19 May 2014
This review is from: When Hungry, Eat (Paperback)
I was full of high hopes for this book. The theme is an important one. But this was too heavily filled with irrelevant and rather mawkish domestic detail. It was rather like reading a personal diary that had been spruced up for public consumption. The trouble is like most of our diaries, it's just not that interesting.

Hell and High Water: Climate Change, Hope and the Human Condition
Hell and High Water: Climate Change, Hope and the Human Condition

5.0 out of 5 stars A very important reflection on the major issue of our times, 19 May 2014
A great book! An unusually deep and multifaceted discussion of our current condition. I would encourage everyone to read it.

Holy Bones and Ava Jones
Holy Bones and Ava Jones
by Norma Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally involving and educational too!, 19 May 2014
I love this book. It has everything: great characters, a thrilling plot, masses of humour. It also gives you an insight into a bit of fascinating welsh mythology. I particularly love the way Nan and the other elderly characters are given a part in the story and Ava is a Star! I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and a wonderful insight into a hidden world, 24 Oct. 2013
This is a great read populated by warm, complex, beautifully described characters that you really care about. A wonderful insight into a hidden world but with universal resonance.

Djekpa La You
Djekpa La You

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Djekpa La You (Audio CD)
This is the most wonderful CD. I haven't stopped playing it since it arrived. Pure Joy!

OPPO DV-980H Multi-Region DVD player : HDMI 1080p USB DivX SACD DVD-Audio 7.1CH
OPPO DV-980H Multi-Region DVD player : HDMI 1080p USB DivX SACD DVD-Audio 7.1CH

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy to use machine, 24 Sept. 2009
This is a high quality product which is extremely good value for the money. I use it for both DVD's and Audio CD's and it performs well for both.

Becoming the Enchanter: A Journey to the Heart of the Celtic Mysteries
Becoming the Enchanter: A Journey to the Heart of the Celtic Mysteries
by Lyn Webster Wilde

4.0 out of 5 stars Becoming Enchanted, 13 Nov. 2002
I found reading this book is both exciting and unsettling. As a psychologist I am fairly sceptical usually about otherworldly or magical experience preferring to maintain a clear boundary between the realms of fantasy and reality but this book had an extraordinary effect on me. I had some haunting dreams and the atmosphere in the air around me seemed tinged with magic while I was reading it and for some considerable time afterwards. I felt that the compass points by which I normally orient myself psychologically had somehow gained an extra dimension and the boundaries of my world had stretched and moved in unexpected ways.
Lyn Webster-Wilde's prose is very easy and accessible and the story rattles along at a great pace. She manages to convey a sense of connection with 'the otherworld' and also the emotions that accompany the experience of gaining glimpses of this other place. Reading 'Becoming the Enchanter' reminded me of the way I felt reading The Narnia books by C.S. Lewis as a child which left me with an overwhelming sense of the reality of this 'otherworld'.