Profile for M. Oxley > Reviews

Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace [DVD] [1967]
Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars The wait is over and I'm sligthly disappointed., 13 Dec. 2015
As it's always good to have another 2nd Doctor story released, I'm a little perplexed as to how most reviewers could still give this disc a four star review when episodes 1 & 4 are made up of photographic stills that don't always correspond with the restored soundtrack.

Call me a cynic, but if more money/a new animator is found can we expect a new improved version of this adventure to be released in the near future?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 8:11 AM GMT

Presents The 8th [CD + DVD]
Presents The 8th [CD + DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Give It a Listen Before You Buy., 10 July 2012
This is an ambitious project, some of it works, some of it doesn't. The album isn't half as bad as the previous reviewer makes it seem, however, as it is Paul Heaton Presents, rather than a Paul Heaton long player I would do as I did and listen to it in full on the Guardian's website.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 5:31 PM BST

Duffer + The Moon Over the Alley (BFI Flipside) (DVD + Blu-ray)
Duffer + The Moon Over the Alley (BFI Flipside) (DVD + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Kit Gleave
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Bad, 2 Oct. 2011
I don't really like to write negative reviews, but if you decide to purchase this DVD on the strength of the previous reviewers' glowing recommendations prepare to be disappointed.

First let's start with Duffer. I can't put into words how appalling this film is; so I won't.

If, like me, you have found BFI's Flipside series enjoyable, and want to collect the set, you will probably buy this.

Unlike my fellow reviewers I don't believe this is one of the greatest films ever made. It is by far the poorest Flipside release so far.

Why not try another Flipside release that warrants a fantastic review.

Bronco Bullfrog (Blu-ray + DVD)
Deep End (DVD + Blu-ray)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 4:22 PM BST

Kilimanjaro: Deluxe Edition
Kilimanjaro: Deluxe Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you Mick Finkler?, 3 July 2010
I really is beyond belief that this album can only merit a one star review, and like the previous reviewer I feel the need to set the record straight.

If you are a Julian Cope fan and no nothing about his prior work with the Teardrop Explodes this is a fine introduction.

I really don't have anything else to add that hasn't already been mentioned in the other reviewers notes. Ignore the one star review (why is he so bitter?) and go with the rest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2010 9:47 PM BST

Moonlighting Season 4 [DVD] [2009]
Moonlighting Season 4 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Cybill Shepherd
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Ordinary Series 4., 1 Aug. 2009
This was one of the shows everyone watched when they were growing up in the '80's. At the time it was screened it was totally original, and I really enjoyed watching it.

I've previously purchased the previous box-sets of the 1 & 2 Seasons and Season 3, which were just as good as I remember them to be, so I was really looking forward to watching this. This series is pretty poor in relation to what has gone before it.

I think the main problem here is the fact that the two main characters have very little screen time together, and as the whole show is built around the tension between the two leading charaters the whole show suffers.

If you want to see David Addison sulking, while trying to find his femine side, or Maddie Hayes searching her inner-self for 10 of these 14 episodes fill your boots.

All you get in the way of DVD extras is selected episode commentary. There's no booklet with the DVD either - It's as if the distributor has given up on this season too.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Bueller... Bueller Edition [DVD] [1986]
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Bueller... Bueller Edition [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Matthew Broderick

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as I remembered., 29 July 2009
I decided to revisit this movie on the recommendation of Virgilio Anderson, and although at the time of it's original release I was a fan of the film I feel it has aged badly.

Most of characters in the movie aren't at all likeable, Ferris being the most anoying.

Who is Virgilio Anderson?

Vampire Weekend
Vampire Weekend
Offered by Bridge_Records

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Hype, 2 May 2009
This review is from: Vampire Weekend (Audio CD)
This isn't really a review, it's more of a caution to those of you who are considering buying this album after reading other peoples gushing reviews.

I know quite a few people who love Vampire Weekend but I just don't get it. Amazon recomended Vampire Weekend to me after I purchased the Fleet Foxes CD, now, the Fleet Foxes album is a beautifully crafted work of art, this isn't.

So to all of you who are thinking of buying this product based on reviews alone, do yourself a favour and borrow someone else's copy first.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2010 5:10 PM GMT

Billy Liar 1 [DVD] [1973]
Billy Liar 1 [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Jeff Rawle
Offered by A2ZSupplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Enjoyable, 27 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Billy Liar 1 [DVD] [1973] (DVD)
I am a hugh fan of the film of the same name but I really didn't know what to expect when I bought this DVD, I was suprised at how much I enjoyed it.

The only TV show I have seen Jeff Rawle in is Drop The Dead Donkey, and he is perfect as Billy - the bone idle daft lad who dreams his life away.

The other cast members are equally suited to their roles, especially George A Cooper who plays Billy's long suffering father.

Unlike most comedy shows of the 1970's Billy Liar has stood the test of time and should be enjoyed by people of all ages.

The Omega Factor - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Omega Factor - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Hazeldine

5.0 out of 5 stars A Case For The Defence, 20 Feb. 2006
I felt compelled to submit a review of this item after reading the one negative review with regards to The Omega Factor. If you can't watch a drama without incredible special effects perhapse this isn't what you're looking for, however when you bring into consideration the year it was transmitted, and the tight budget the BBC had in those days I think it's a remarkable triumph, not a disaster, that the makers of The Omega Factor produced a series this good.

Cloud Nine & Puzzle People
Cloud Nine & Puzzle People

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Double, 8 April 2005
I agree with the previous reviewer that the majority of these twofers in this series are mismatched, however this does not lesson the enjoyment I get from listening to the rest of the Temptations twofers.
In the case of Cloud Nine/Puzzle People you have two fantastic albums which were actually released one after the other. This in my view allows the listener to hear how the more grittier sound of the Whitfield-Strong era developed.
This development of the more socially aware Temptations, plus the fact that each member of the group has a chance to employ their own distinctive vocal talent makes this release a must for, not just fans of the Temptations, but of lovers of the motown sound.

Page: 1 | 2