Profile for Lucia Tilling > Reviews

Smaller than I thought.

Midnight's Children
Midnight's Children

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthy but a struggle to read, 22 April 2017
I struggled to read this and couldn't finish it.

The Child's Child
The Child's Child

4.0 out of 5 stars A goood read, 22 April 2017
This review is from: The Child's Child (Kindle Edition)
Another page-turner by Barbara Vine.

Indian Tales
Indian Tales

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather dull, quite racist by today's standards, 22 April 2017
This review is from: Indian Tales (Kindle Edition)
I didn't like the attitude to the "natives".

Mixed-Race and Modernity in Colonial India (Intersections: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories)
by Adrian Carton

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful; political rather than social insights, 22 April 2017
As someone of mixed race and Indian origin, I was delighted to come across this book. It was more academic than I had expected and there was a lot of emphasis on the role of the French and their approach to citizenship. The book confirmed some of what I remember my father saying about the Anglo-Indian/Eurasian community in India. I would like to know more about the day-to-day lives of the mixed race community.

The Murder Quadrille
The Murder Quadrille

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas but in need of editing, 11 July 2016
I was prompted to choose this book by a referral at the end of a Barbara Vine novel - you know the sort of thing: "Other readers of this book also chose ..." Unfortunately, Ms Morgan is not in the same class as Ms Vine. Never having heard of this author before, I thought The Murder Quadrille was a first novel, so was astonished to read in the notes at the end that Fidelis Morgan has already written several books and was encouraged by a well known author to continue with this book.
I could imagine this book written in a more subtle style and with less perceptible effort going into the gags.
As for editing, surely "defuse" rather than "diffuse", as in "She made another feeble attempt to diffuse the tension"?
I stand by my review heading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2016 3:59 PM BST

Imperium: (Cicero Trilogy 1)
Imperium: (Cicero Trilogy 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail, 4 April 2016
A friend recommended the Cicero trilogy. I liked the sound of it but it didn't live up to my expectations. I would have liked more details.

The Great Arc: The Dramatic Tale of How India was Mapped and Everest was Named (Text Only)

3.0 out of 5 stars Admirable ... but not for the faint-hearted, 14 Jan. 2016
This tale of geodesy and trigonometry was always going to be difficult to render fascinating to the tired reader. I stuck with it, enjoying the occasional streaks of humour. I admired the achievements of Lambton and Everest and of the author, but I don't see myself buying this book as a present for anyone.

The Green Road: Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2016
The Green Road: Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2016

4.0 out of 5 stars Familiar Irish themes with some twists, 25 Oct. 2015
I was avoiding "The Green Road" but someone in the book group proposed that we would read it. I was glad that I did read it. The structure was not original - I seem to have read something else recently where the story is told from different people's perspectives at different times in their lives.
There was something very familiar, very Irish about the story: the feelings expressed or not expressed, the words not spoken, the family ties, the narrowness of provincial Ireland, the ability to flourish elsewhere... And yet in ways the novel was original. I was particularly struck by the chapter set in New York and the oblique depiction of the gay scene.

The Year of the Runaways
The Year of the Runaways

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-breakingly good, 10 Oct. 2015
It's been a long time since I've read a book where I couldn't wait to go to bed to continue reading, was able to stay awake to do so, and checked how much more there was left to read. What an insight into the lives people leave behind, the horrors of the caste system, and what people endure once they get to the UK. I hope Sunjeev Sahota wins the Man Booker Prize.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6