Profile for Janie U > Reviews

Content by Janie U

Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Malloom® 5 Pairs Bamboo Fiber Net Loafer Boat socks Liner Low Cut No Show Socks
Malloom® 5 Pairs Bamboo Fiber Net Loafer Boat socks Liner Low Cut No Show Socks
Offered by Malloom®

5.0 out of 5 stars Great socks and they don't slip, 27 May 2017
These are very good socks. They are small enough to wear under any trainer type of shoe and not show. They have a rubber strip in the heel which prevents the sock from slipping (and it worked!!).
I've got some other socks which aren't as good as these ones.
I slightly regret getting so many black socks and would have preferred white as they seem more summery but, as they don't show, it doesn't matter to much.
Also worth mentioning that they feel quite thick and seem to prevent the shoes getting smelly.

Braun TexStyle 7 Pro steam iron SI 7042GR
Braun TexStyle 7 Pro steam iron SI 7042GR

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of irritations when using but the product is good in other ways, 27 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never had a Braun iron before so was interested in this one.
It arrives packaged with the ironing plate well protected. I'm never happy with too much packaging and there isn't much here but it's not very well designed so that the iron was rattling about a bit in the box - not enough to be damaged though.
Without reading the instructions the product looks very intuitive and familiar. The instructions though are very good - written in many languages but with a great visual section which covers all the functions of the iron.
There is a self clean function but it is clumsy and I have seen much better options on other irons when you just press a button. Here you have to release a part which then tends to spring out.
The lid for the water tank doesn't sit very well and needs to be pushed quite firmly to shut it.
Steam function is good and the plate for the actual ironing is very smooth - it has a curved surface at the back which sounds great but I found I didn't really notice it when using the product.
The most irritating part of using the iron is when you put it on its heel as the cable gets in the way. The place that the cable comes into the iron needs to be flexible and this iron doesn't have as much movement as other irons which makes it a bit awkward to use.
Plenty of volume for the water in the tank and it seemed to last for a long time. I tended to iron with a high temperature and a low steam level which worked very well for most clothes.
There is a button on the top which operates the water spray and I kept pressing this by mistake when just holding the iron which was a bit annoying.

The Stars are Fire
The Stars are Fire
by Anita Shreve

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read that I enjoyed, 26 May 2017
This review is from: The Stars are Fire (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've read a few novels by this author previously and they are usually good so I was looking forward to this book.
We meet Grace at the start of the story. It is just after WW2 and she is in an unsatisfying marriage, struggling to cope with her children with weather extremes seeming to mirror the lives of Grace and those around her. The book is full of beautiful description which quickly builds atmosphere as temperatures change wildly. The style of the writing is very journalistic and snappy - "Grace is... then ... happens, then .... happens" - this gives the book a good pace and enables the author to slow things down when the weather becomes hot and languid. All the way through it is compelling how the atmosphere effects the characters so much.
The novel is set in a time where the world is very different but I was uncomfortable with the speed with which Grace moved on and was maybe not as bought into her loveless marriage as I should have been.
The plot became very predictable at around the half way point so I was delighted to be shaken up as it progressed and hooked me back in again.
This is a reasonably good read which I will recommend to friends. It's not going to be a particular challenge and will do anything to inform but will entertain.
The book is approx 250 pages split into 12 chapters.

Milton-Lloyd Cosmetics Grasse Experience Parfum de Toilette 50 ml
Milton-Lloyd Cosmetics Grasse Experience Parfum de Toilette 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars OK as a body spray, 22 May 2017
This has a bit of an odd smell but is not unpleasant and really cheap. I approached using it as if it were a body spray then it seems OK. As a perfume it doesn't really compete on quality

Kiss The Moon Love Night Cream for Hands 90g
Kiss The Moon Love Night Cream for Hands 90g

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product which works for hours but could do with an applicator to avoid getting under your fingernails, 22 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Presented in a smart box with a slip cover, this jar sits neatly in the box with no unnecessary packaging. The jar is matt black and I found that the labels peel off easily leaving an attractive product which could be reused for other things.
There is a screw top lid which, when undone, shows the jar to be thick glass.
The product sits well in the jar and looks good quality as it is quite thick. The cream needs to be dug out a bit and an applicator would be really useful. When rubbed in well, the cream sinks into the skin quickly and skin feels softer immediately.
The scent is lovely - it's advertised as "sleep inducing" which I would contend but it is very pleasant.
Any product that hydrates the skin is good and this certainly does that. I've been using through out the day and it's effects can still be felt on my hands several hours after application so would be very effective over night..
If you use your finger to get it out of the jar then there is no way to avoid getting the product under the finger nails which I found faintly annoying.
I found I needed quite a bit to make my hands feel really soft although it is a big jar so should last for sometime

No show sock,IDEGG®Women candy cotton socks no show liner boot sock 5pack.
No show sock,IDEGG®Women candy cotton socks no show liner boot sock 5pack.
Offered by IDEgg

4.0 out of 5 stars Thinner than expected but seem to work well, 21 May 2017
These socks are a lot thinner than I expected them to be but fit very neatly and don't come off during use, probably due to a rubber bit in the back of the sock which hold them on.

Tin Man
Tin Man
by Sarah Winman

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and intense, 21 May 2017
This review is from: Tin Man (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This author's previous two novels were recommended to me by many people but I didn't get on with either of them. I felt her worth persevering with though so was interested to read her latest - it's less than 200 pages so shouldn't be too much of a problem!
Actually. I was completely blown away by this book - it's amazing.
The first thing that struck me is the gorgeous prose that flows beautifully and almost demands to be read out loud. The narrative moves from dialogue to description seamlessly but there is never any doubt about the context - very clever. I found myself actually becoming breathless at some points in the novel.
Half way through the book there is a change of pace which gives a very different (but no less brilliant) feel.
I was particularly impressed by the intensity of this novel which must have required such restraint to keep so short.
There is a recurring theme of a Van Gogh painting, the colours of which hang over every page
There are two narrators but none of the irritating flip flopping that many authors use - we get to understand one character who then hands over to another in a perfect way.
I may have to go back and try her other novels again

Milton-Lloyd Miss Tutu PDT Spray for Ladies 50 ml
Milton-Lloyd Miss Tutu PDT Spray for Ladies 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price but don't have big expectations, 17 May 2017
I'm not completely convinced about this perfume but used as a body spray then it's fine. The scent doesn't last very long but is nice and fresh.
The bottle looks quite large but it runs out quickly.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro Silk Razor Blades for Women, Pack of 3
Wilkinson Sword Hydro Silk Razor Blades for Women, Pack of 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but packaging not great, 17 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product comes in a nice looking box but I found it difficult to get into within ripping it open. The body of the razor is supposed to be secured in the box but it was loose so was rattling about.
I always hate products which are especially for women when exactly the same product can be used by a man. Paint it pink and the price usually goes up - I've tried to compare to male products and it's not easy but I think that there is an uplift on the price.
The handle is a good shape and the rubber feel makes it very easy to use, even in the shower.
There is 5 blades which may go towards the product feeling very safe and the results being very smooth.

Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
by Theodor Fontane

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but it took a long time, 17 May 2017
I read this book as part of a literature appreciation course. I'd not heard of the author or the novel previously.
It's a short novel at only just over 200 pages but took a surprisingly long time to read which shows that it didn't really engage me. I'm glad that I read it though and it was fascinating to see all of the themes within such a short story.
The author has a really interesting way of describing detail but then skipping over major events in the plot which is a respectful way to treat the reader and makes the reader imagine what is happening. I was particularly curious how Effie got pregnant as there was no evidence of any sexual contact.
I read the introduction first which, annoyingly, gave away the ending of the story. It would have been much better to set the context of the novel in the introduction and then save the analysis until after the ending.
Lots of comments in reviews about the quality of translations but I found this translation to be very good although quite different at times from other versions in the class I attend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20