Profile for Janie U > Reviews

Content by Janie U

Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EYELET TOP / RING TOP PLAIN WEAVED WOVEN LOOK HEATHER DUSKY PINK PURPLE 90"X90" THERMAL BLOCKOUT CURTAINS (229CM WIDE X 229CM DROP) APPROX SOFT LUXURY HEAVY DRAPE CURTAINS
Offered by Bean Bag Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to iron out the creases but look good hangin, 23 Jun. 2015
I bought these curtains for a window where heat retention was not an issue but it was important to keep out the light and they have done exactly that.
As they come in a folded up package, it is unsurprising that they are very creased. I spent a long time ironing the material before it went up and whilst it looked OK I wasn't able to get all of the creases out. They have been hanging now for a week and look a bit better but still not 100%.
The texture is lovely with a fine weaved appearance and feel.
I was also surprised by the colour as they are slightly more heather than pink but still fit in the room beautifully.
Once hung, they look lovely and are very good value for money.

A Year of Marvellous Ways
A Year of Marvellous Ways
by Sarah Winman

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth sticking with but I didn't enjoy getting there, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read this author's previous book and enjoyed it (although maybe not as much as many readers based on the glowing reviews I have read all over) and find it interesting how an author is able to follow up such a success.
Here, Sarah Winman, seems to have done a pretty good job although I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous one.
Once you get to the story it is lovely but I struggled with all the woolly writing that I had to tackle before I got there. I read all sorts of fiction and can easily find myself enchanted by beautiful prose so was disappointed that I wasn't carried away with this one.
It was worth it in the end but I can't say that I particularly enjoyed the experience of reading this book.
Looks as though lots of people have enjoyed the novel though so I think I'm going to read it again in a couple of years and see if it is a different experience then

Staedtler Noris Club 144 NC24 Colouring Pencils - Assorted Colours (Pack of 24)
Staedtler Noris Club 144 NC24 Colouring Pencils - Assorted Colours (Pack of 24)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pencils with a good range of colours, 23 Jun. 2015
You can't really go too far wrong with pencils and these seem to do the job required very satisfactorily.
I've just started colouring again, as an adult, and am enjoying it tremendously.
This pencil set seems to be a good starting point. They are soft enough for most colouring although I've found shading to be a bit more of challenge - might be me rather than the tools though.
Good range of colours

Wake
Wake
by Anna Hope

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully structured novel based in the aftermath of World War One, 23 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
Many novels have been written based during the period of World War One, covering the experiences at war and at home. This book is different as it is set two years after the end of the war, in November 1920.
The book follows a few days in the lives of three women who have has their lives dramatically changed by the war, as many people did. The book's title is defined as "consequence or aftermath" and that is truly what is shown in this novel from grieving mothers to benefit dependent, wounded soldiers. History has moved on but this novel shows that it is not so easy for normal people to do the same.
Characters are at the heart of the story and, by revealing their thoughts and actions, we get some understanding of how they have dealt with their experiences of loss. The parts played by the three main characters in the structure of the story is interesting - they are introduced by spending some time with each, then gradually their stories begin to blend together in small ways by using the other characters involved. Everyone has a purpose in the novel and they are all developed in cleverly subtle ways.
This novel is an amazing achievement and I was surprised when I found out it is a first novel - I look forward to reading more by this author.

Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book
Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book
by Johanna Basford

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely designs, 23 Jun. 2015
I've just started colouring again, as an adult, and there is an amazing range of colouring books around.
This book has had a lot of press coverage and I can see why.
It contains some beautiful designs which are very detailed and will last me for ages. Whether I get fed up with the book before I get to the end remains to be seen...

pürminerals Disappearing Ink Concealer 4-in-1 Concealer Pen, Light 3.5 ml
pürminerals Disappearing Ink Concealer 4-in-1 Concealer Pen, Light 3.5 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product which is lovely to use, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really lovely product. It is presented in an attractive silver pen type case with a lid which is easy to remove and a twist section at the other end to move the liquid onto the material applicator.
I use this concealer mainly for the area under my eyes and this colour works perfectly for that as I am quite pale.
I've used a Max Factor version of this product for some time and I found this one better as the sponge applicator is a bit firmer and much easier to apply the product as there is less product soaked into the tip.
Having applied the concealer you do need to use your finger to spread it but if its going under foundation then that's not always necessary.

Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe
Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job exactly as I wanted it to, 23 Jun. 2015
This is a great product. I bought it for occassional use and found it to be very easy to operate for all those who had reason to.
As with any key safe, it can be levered off the wall but still cannot be opened without specialist tools.

NAILS Nail Polish, Lilly Road The New White
NAILS Nail Polish, Lilly Road The New White

3.0 out of 5 stars Pale varnish is unforgiving but it stays on reasonably well, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The bottle in which this nail varnish comes is very stylish. It has a large rectangular lid which has to be taken off to access the small screw top - a style which is used for many high end nail varnishes.
Applying the varnish is fairly easy although it needs at least two coats to make sure there are no streaks. Pale colour varnish is very unforgiving of small wobbles when applying as it is so visible and I found it took me a lot of concentration to get it on to my satisfaction and then I was still not completely satisfied but it does look OK.
The product is described that it "paints on white but dries with a hint of colour". I don't think that's true as it is a very pale pink in the bottle and it paints on then dries still as a very pale pink.
Once on, the colour stayed for several days without chipping - I was working in a prison for the few days after I put it on and it didn't chip even though I am using keys all the time. After 4 days I then helped someone move house and the colour was very chipped at the end of the day - maybe a top cost would have helped.
Also worth noting that the varnish removed very easily with standard nail varnish remover.
It's OK but not sure I would choose this colour again.

The Man Who Watched Women
The Man Who Watched Women
by Michael Hjorth

4.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting crime thriller with plenty of pace and great characters, 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do love a Scandinavian crime thriller and the writers of this book seem to have a good pedigree in TV writing so this novel promised a lot.
There are some great characters here, relatively fewer than often with similar books, which make the book fly. They all have lots to dislike about them, which seems to be a standard part of a crime thriller. Although whilst many are flawed, their character traits are not the only dimension to their personalities (no-one who is simply an alcoholic, no-one who is just having an affair), they've all got lots going on which results in very well rounded people.
A novel about a serial killer cannot stray too far from a well known formula and this one doesn't. However, it's appropriately gritty with compelling tension at many stages of the plot.
I particularly liked the use of the profiler, Sebastian, who is clearly going to be used for further novels. He's had past tragedies and his relationship with the imprisoned murderer is an intriguing idea which goes some way towards "The Silence of the Lambs".
Even the pace of the plot was good - plenty of speed towards the end and a plausible ending.
Downsides were the prison governor who I thought was not feasible at all and some of the security procedures around the prison and police detention were very suspect.
Overall, a very good thriller which I will recommend.

Braun Silk Epil 5-541 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with Shaver Head
Braun Silk Epil 5-541 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with Shaver Head

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - if you haven't used an epilator for some time then try it!, 11 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As you'd expect from a Braun product, this epilator is presented in quality packaging with all the various elements well wrapped up.
The first charge took just over an hour and its worth noting that the product can't be used whilst it is plugged in so you just have to be patient to use it!
I prefer to use the epilator on dry skin which seems to work well, I also like the massage cap which is an additional part with this model and seems to stretch the skin slightly so making the process less painful. On the note of pain, if you've never used a product like this before, it really doesn't hurt at all and it oddly like a tickling feeling. There are two speeds which seem a bit pointless, I couldn't see any reason why you wouldn't use the higher speed all of the time as this isn't something you particularly want to do slowly.
This model comes with a shaver head which seems a bit odd as generally the reason of having an epilator is so that you don't have to shave! I can't see myself using this much at all. It also advertises on the box that it includes Microgrip tweezers but these are only available on the 5-531 model and the box is misleading.
I haven't used an epilator for sometime and had forgotten how good they were. Bye bye waxing - I'm converted!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20