Profile for Booklover > Reviews

Kingmaker: Broken Faith
Kingmaker: Broken Faith
by Toby Clements

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Toby; now HURRY UP WITH THE THIRD!, 7 July 2015
Toby Clements has done it again, and written a gripping, original, excellent novel dealing with the continuing adventures of Thomas and Katherine among the ordinary soldiers of the Wars of the Roses. In this novel, it is not only the fact that kings and nobles are the minor characters that is a refreshing change, but that the book covers events in Northumberland in the early 1460s, which I can't remember any novel of the period I have read even mentioning. Alnwick, Dunstanburgh, and Bamburgh castles are the background for more warfare, surgery, double-dealing villainy, love and friendship. And the smells. The first book was gory - this one is smelly too. You have been warned.

Kingmaker: Winter Pilgrims (Kingmaker Trilogy)
Kingmaker: Winter Pilgrims (Kingmaker Trilogy)
by Toby Clements

5.0 out of 5 stars Message to Toby Clements : SEQUEL! NOW!, 29 July 2014
Warning to the potential reader: not for the squeamish, as the battles and medieval surgery are realistic (the surgery, I was delighted to note, is based on genuine medieval procedure) and the villain is VERY unpleasant. At the beginning I found the violence upsetting, but once it was less about the villain and more about realistically described battles, I didn't mind. At no point did I consider giving up - I rapidly became attached to the main characters and the people they encountered, and the writing is wonderful. There is not much direct humour - and I suppose it would sit ill with the subject matter - but there were one or two things that made me chuckle (like the problems you face when John is the commonest name).

muksak and standard lanyard
muksak and standard lanyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful dog 'accessory' ever, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: muksak and standard lanyard
I first bought a muksak from the original designer nearly three years ago. After collar, lead, feeding bowls and bed, this is the single most useful dog accessory EVER. I don't have to carry full smelly poo bags by hand on walks: the muksak holds them all and if I can't find a dog bin it keeps the smell totally contained,even for a full day out in the car. Cannot be too highly rated. I keep one and a spare, and am delighted to find that they are still sold even though the original designer no longer deals with them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Hair loss reversed within weeks, 25 Jan. 2011
My hair has been steadily thinning over the last 10 years (yes, since I was 40) and my doctor recommended this. The amount of hair I lose daily has reduced to a wisp within a couple of weeks of using this (I have also been using the Caffeine Tonic). Highly recommended.

The White Queen
The White Queen
by Philippa Gregory

2.0 out of 5 stars OK I suppose......, 6 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The White Queen (Hardcover)
Yawn, yaaawn.....what was that? The White Queen? Set in the fifteenth century (not that anything in the book really gives that away), this book tells the story of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV, and her ancestress Melusine. However, it manages to make this fascinating period extremely dull reading, and none of the characters really came to life for me. Take it from me, if you want to read a story about Elizabeth Woodville (and Melusine) read 'The King's Grey Mare' by Rosemary Hawley Jarman instead, it is far superior to this.... yaawn.....

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Jane Seymour, 18 Jun. 2009
This novel presents Jane Seymour in her traditional guise as a mild, devout, basically very good person. It is well written, and gives details of her life 'before Henry', including her ill-fated betrothal to William Dormer, here presented as someone she really loved. She comes across as a very sympathetic character. I thoroughly enjoyed the book (in spite of also enjoying the 'alternative view' given by Julia Watson in 'The Tudor Rose').

Tudor Rose
Tudor Rose
by Julia Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not-so-meek Jane, 18 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Tudor Rose (Paperback)
For those who think there isn't much fiction on Jane Seymour around, don't miss this gem of a book. It is a new take on Jane - not so meek and mild, more of a schemer. She tells the story herself, and we see her determination to secure the king gradually begin to work, as she presents herself as the 'antidote' to Anne Boleyn. I always thought there must be more to her (and, let's face it, does her portrait look like a meek woman?).

Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not really Jane Austen, 23 Mar. 2007
An enjoyable film, with lovely settings and costumes: however, I don't understand why the scriptwriter felt it necessary to invent new funny lines, when Jane Austen writes such good funny lines herself. I also felt that the Bennets were presented as a happy (happy-go-lucky) and close family, which is scarcely how they appear in the book. It was also odd to find myself feeling sorry for Darcy - surely not the emotion usually generated by his arrogance! And whatever happened to Wickham? He hardly appeared at all, and when he did I was so distracted by his preposterous hair and equally preposterous clothes I was hardly aware of what he was actually saying, and certainly couldn't imagine why Elizabeth was at all attracted to him. I did enjoy the film in spite of all this (i.e. it hangs together well as a film) but wouldn't want anyone to take it as a true version of the book. For one thing, if the Bennets were in the habit of opening the door to visitors in their nightclothes, as they do in this version when Lady Catherine de Burgh calls, I'm not surprised she found them objectionably lower class. In the book Elizabeth was proud to say that she was the daughter of a gentleman. Gentlemen's daughters don't wander around in public in their nightgowns (even now).

Incidentally, the music in this film is brilliant.

Pride & Prejudice (1980) (Std Rmst) [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Pride & Prejudice (1980) (Std Rmst) [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, the only, P&P, 22 Mar. 2007
This may be an old production (coming up for 30) and in some ways this shows - but don't be put off by that. The script (by Fay Weldon) actually acknowledges that Jane Austen can tell the story far better than any modern meddler. The acting is universally excellent (the best ever Mr & Mrs Bennet, the only Mr. Collins worth watching, quite apart from Elizabeth and Darcy who are both perfect). Go for it.

Pride And Prejudice : Complete BBC Series - 10th Anniversary Edition [1995] [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Ehle
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best P&P, whatever they say, 22 Mar. 2007
Pride and Prejudice is such a good book that it is hard to make an adaptation with no merits, and I daresay if I had seen no other that this would have satisfied me more - however, my grudges against it are:

Jennifer Ehle, who has only two expressions - sulk and simper.

Colin Firth, who is allowed to behave as Darcy in the book never would have done - OK, so the wet shirt scene only annoyed me. Sorry.

Alison Steadman, who shrieked.

The conversation between Elizabeth and Wickham in which she practically said that she would love to marry him if he was richer. Ugh.

The scene in which we SEE Darcy and co. persuading Bingley to have nothing more to do with Jane. Big mistake to show this.

After all its claims for perfect accuracy it was annoying to see roses blooming on the walls of the rectory at Hunsford when Elizabeth left in March/April! (OK, so I'm being really, really picky here)

Get the BBC version with David Rintoul and Elizabeth Garvie - not a wet shirt in sight (sorry, girls) but an infinitely superior production.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2009 9:55 PM GMT