Profile for Neil Patterson > Reviews

Coredy CR-B5 Digital Voice Recorder 8 GB Built-In-Memory Direct USB FM Radio
Coredy CR-B5 Digital Voice Recorder 8 GB Built-In-Memory Direct USB FM Radio
Offered by Coredy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good For The Money, 21 Aug. 2016
I deliberated for a time before I decided to buy this recorder. I have a Zoom H2N recorder and a lot of other gear besides and so I would say I am more than a novice with such equipment. I stumbled upon this Coredy recorder and I read all the reviews on here. Let's cut to the chase. Overall I think I am happy with this. I only received it today so have used it for a few hours only so far. Bear this in mind if thinking of buying for yourself. Reliability may arise as an issue. The item quality is good I think. Yes it's plastic but it is well made enough to justify it's price point. There are indeed a few oddities in use like the monitoring level when in recording mode cannot be changed. Not a huge deal but a little difficult if using headphones as the level may be too hot. I will probably amend this review but for now as it is I am glad I took the risk and bought it.

EDIT: Please note that this is a genuine review of an item I paid my hard earned money for. I know that many reviews on Amazon are dodgy but if in doubt check my others. They are varied and to the point. Oh and another thing that I have noticed. There is no way to mount this recorder (to a tripod or microphone stand) which is a shame. It does not stand readily on it's edge....well not in a way that gives you much confidence. Maybe if the manufacturer makes the next incarnation they will add this feature. Be aware also that there is some hiss to the recording when listening back or as you are recording. I think this is just the replay electronics as it does not appear on the final recording. Also the overall music playback is a bit bass light and anaemic. Attach it to a headphone amp and things improve. I don't think the replay amps are that powerful. Again I don't think this affects the final recording but I thought it worth mentioning. This recorder for me is a backup to my Zoom H2N and I really did not want to pay anymore than this for that facility. Again if this lasts then I am happy. Oh one more thing! I used a class 6 micro sd card to try it out. It's a no no. You really need something of a class 10 I think for optimum reliability. The class 6 card skipped about every ten seconds or so. It probably will work fine with a fast card.

LD Systems Maui 5 Ultra Portable Column PA System, Each
LD Systems Maui 5 Ultra Portable Column PA System, Each
Offered by Absolute Music Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars The Tool For The Job(s), 27 July 2016
Kudos to Absolute Music Solution for sending it to me so very quickly. I ordered on Sunday evening and it arrived on Tuesday! Excellent work guys! The product. Overall I am pleased with it. It's clear and detailed almost like hi fi in fact (I mean proper hi fi not in the way manufacturers use the term loosely to mean almost any product that produces sound). It is made well and looks the part in the flesh. Understated and functional. Now I have only used this at home a few times and out at a small gig once so bear that in mind when you read my review.

It goes plenty loud. Louder than you would think and it does not feel strained. It takes some doing to get it to max out and I will have to wait til I get to a hall to enable that to happen. You may have noticed I have give four stars and here is why. No output sockets. Yes I did know this before I bought it so it is a little mean of me but for the life of me I cannot fathom why they do not have something to enable you to send the signal elsewhere. For instance you might be a singer with a guitar wanting to capture your performance for uploading purposes or suchlike. You had better bring your mixer.....if you have one. It's a bit Apple like. "Hey let's get rid of the cd drive and the headphone socket and the USB socket oh and hobble the Bluetooth......right on that is so groovy now!" LD an output is needed please put one on the Maui 5 mk2. The only part of the sound I am not keen on is the bass. It's ok. In fact seeing as I do jazzy stuff it's less of a problem for me but it is quite boomy and boingy. By boingy I mean there is quite a overhang and smear to the sound. It's indistinct and loses control so it is difficult to follow what is going on. It reminds me of when I had some JBL control ones. Everything in the bass sounded like a pair of congas/bongos were present in the mix. If you know your hertz there is to my ear a lot of muddle going on around 90hz-125hz. It takes the edge of an otherwise excellent sound. I know there are no effects but like others have observed with systems of this type it is a glaring omission that means you have to bring another box along with you. Every box you have to bring when you are doing a lot of gigs becomes a huge pain in the butt and does not endear you to the manufacturers at all. The only system that does have a decent complement is the JBL Eon One. If it wasn't for the size/weight I would have bought that. It weights 18kg though. I can manage 18kgs.......but I don't want to! 7 or 8kg more wears thin after a bit. The Maui 5 weighs around 11kgs you see. Yes I know the Eon has a bag with wheels but there goes another £80 when you buy it. Its all about compromises. The Maui 5 at the price seems to have some of the most acceptable and the price is very reasonable compared to the Bose L1 Compact. Oh and that lack of feedback claim. I got mine to feedback very easily by waving a mic in front of it at high volume. There is a guy doing this on Youtube in a review and it doesn't feedback. Who knows what level he had it at really. The overall sound may have been tweaked up to sound fine for the video. Whatever. It does feedback so be warned. I abused my hearing with that test and I do not want to do it again. My mic is a KAM KWM1900 - HH. I have others and will try them all. The KAM KWM1900 - HH does not feeback really easy in general if you are wondering. I did the test with no effects or equalisation just so you know. FEEDBACK!
Kam KWM1900 HH Handheld Wireless Microphone - COMPLETELY Cable-free

One last thing. For some reason LD have seen fit to limit the range of the mic channel. Please don't fiddle with everything guys. Some of us are professionals and can choose the right mic for the job. They have shelved the frequencies below 100hz. Now this REALLY matters to me. Being a bass baritone there is a lot of energy in my voice below this frequency. Having these frequencies shaved off misses out a lot of the unique quality of my voice. Luckily I have a Boss Ve1 which has a 3.5mm line out. I can plug this into the line in and get a full signal. I have just tried it and it works beautifully. Again LD and other makers out there please resist the temptation to fiddle with every nook and cranny as these well meaning choices can very easily be a deal breaker for guys like us. If you really want to align with the herd then label it for Karaoke and sell it accordingly. Us geeky professionals generally know what we are doing and why! Rant over.
Overall I am very pleased that the makers design such products for us. They are definitely game changers overall. Please note as well that the sub can be excited into buzzing/rattling with program material with a low bass content (hip hop, reggae).
Seriously condsider this system. You will most probably love it!

One thing I forgot to mention. The bluetooth works really well. I have had a moan here on Amazon about various bluetooth devices I have bought. They all have their faults and are not generally thought through well for professional use (one or two claim to be 'Pro' but that is not the case). The bluetooth on this is perfect for a pro and shows real thought. There are no beeps or buzzes or voices to tell you "Bluetooth is connected" or anything like that. You press a button wait a few seconds for the bluetooth to flash and then you connect to the Maui with no fuss or bother. It stays connected and does so over a reasonable distance. At last!! I have a pair of Alto Troupers which connect ok but they hiccough and are not to be trusted in general. So a great job from LD. All other manufacturers take note. Beeps buzzes, blips, rattles and voices ad nauseum are NOT NEEDED (unless done specifically for the blind I guess).

citronic CLB15 qtx 15-Inch Professional Passive Subwoofer
citronic CLB15 qtx 15-Inch Professional Passive Subwoofer
Offered by eStore.Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Who'd have thought?, 14 May 2016
I have had this unit for a couple of months and more but I have only had one chance to use it in anger. I gave it a constant 1000w+ (real watts if you're asking) for a few hours and it came through unscathed. I was actually feeding it with average disco fare and I had accidentally boosted the bass........oops. The sub didn't miss a beat literally and nothing untoward happened. I guess that is a very good sign. It did not bottom out or suffer from flatulence and overall I am very pleased with it. I will give it another run and jump at a whole evening of mayhem. My DJ nephew will be in the driving seat and he will punish it severely with disco R&B and Hip Hop. He's a professional and does clubs. If it survives then I deem it a winner. I got it at a silly price too. I posted this review as I haven't seen any on these subs. My brother who has his own group-Mission Blue-runs two Mackie 15's and on occasion I work with him and so I know what a sub needs to do to be taken seriously by punters and clients. To sum up for the money this is a capable well made sub. It's solid and presentable and made manageable by the four channelled in handles. It's tight enough, clean loud and low. Give it some consideration if you need a reasonably priced well balanced unit (not too heavy at 26kg.......even I can manage it with my bad back). I am quietly impressed.

Here is an update to my review. I have used this again on it's own fulfilling subwoofer duties and it was excellent overall. It's loud clean and clear and well behaved. It slams and does what a good subwoofer should do in my opinion. I was happy, the drunk well moneyed punters were happy (they demanded hip hop and more hip hop) and also importantly my nephew who was DJ for the evening was happy. If this turns out to be reliable then I am a very happy camper. I think I will swop the driver out for the 4ohm version to enable me to get some more headroom and maybe a little bit more volume from the enclosure. That way I will also have a spare in case I need it at short notice. It's a keeper!

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle
Don't Sleep, There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle
by Daniel Everett

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn fine book. Buy it read it and let it ..., 27 Feb. 2016
Damn fine book. Buy it read it and let it change your life

Intenso 3502480 32GB Rainbow USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Transparent
Intenso 3502480 32GB Rainbow USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Transparent

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Feb. 2016
Good solid usb stick

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Heat 'em up, 27 Feb. 2016
Glue sticks. Heat em up and stick things with your gun. Job done.

kenable COILED 3.5mm Stereo Jack to Socket Headphone Extension Cable Lead 4m
kenable COILED 3.5mm Stereo Jack to Socket Headphone Extension Cable Lead 4m
Offered by kenable_ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars I can extend your cable thing, 27 Feb. 2016
We guys love a thing that will extend another thing......apparently. This does extend a thing, a headphone cable thing without getting snagged. You got to love it for that!

HDE Slim Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless Optical Mouse w/ Adjustable DPI (Black)
HDE Slim Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless Optical Mouse w/ Adjustable DPI (Black)
Offered by HDE

1.0 out of 5 stars Will it won't it connect?, 27 Feb. 2016
Pretty poor kit. Pairing it is a nightmare. If you manage it you can barely remember how you achieved it!

Ekho Professional Adjustable Tilt Guitar Amplifier Stand
Ekho Professional Adjustable Tilt Guitar Amplifier Stand
Offered by Electromarket

4.0 out of 5 stars We all need a little support, 27 Feb. 2016
All good with this. It seems sturdy and well put together and though I haven't used it much I feel confident to trust my equipment to it.

Gorilla Glue 60ml
Gorilla Glue 60ml
Offered by PTA Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Non sticky sticky stuff, 27 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Gorilla Glue 60ml (DIY & Tools)
I used this once so far trying to stick some heels to some shoes. I followed the instructions and lo and behold........it failed. The advertising blurb is wonderful but the product does not seem to live up to the hype.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6