Profile for An Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
UKTV Play
UKTV Play

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the missing 15 minutes?, 23 July 2016
This review is from: UKTV Play (App)
I thought this would be nice to have for the Drama channel...until I started watching Series One of Shetland...Great!! One of my favourite programmes. Then I noticed a few gaps in continuity and realised each episode is only 45 minutes long! When originally shown on BBC1 each episode ran for 60 minutes. 25% cut out of each episode, ridiculous!
Contacted UKTV and they were good enough to reply saying the episodes had to be cut to fit into a 1 hour broadcast slot with 12 - 15 minutes of adverts. UKTV relies on adverts, so fair enough, but when it is not being broadcast but streamed, surely it doesn't matter about it fitting into a 1 hour slot?? Give us the whole original episode with adverts, who cares if it runs for an hour and a half? That's the point of a catch up streaming service!
So unfortunately after a promising start I do not watch UKTV Play any more, chopping 25% out of a tense police drama like Shetland is just not acceptable to me.

Down With Skool!: A guide to school life for tiny pupils and their parents (The Complete Molesworth)

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, 19 July 2016
I read the complete series of books when I was in the first year of grammar school, we had a book club and could buy one book a month, these and the Horror Stories Collections by Herbert Van Thall were my favourites! I don't know what happened to all my books, I think my mum threw them all out when I left home to get married. Thanks mum.
Anyway I had a free £3 Amazon book credit so I bought this, I was surprised how familiar it was almost 50 years later! Not the same as reading it as an 11 year old obviously and a lot shorter than I remember, but a good blast from the past. I think a lot of us schoolboys in the first years of secondary school in the 60's could identify with Molesworth, school back then seemed full of bullies, 6th formers trying to grow moustaches, sporty show-offs and sadistic teachers who were always ready to get out the cane, slipper (old tennis shoe) or just give you a slap across the face. Great days. I think reading Molesworth kept me reasonably sane.

Emma
Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok and it's free!, 19 July 2016
This review is from: Emma (Kindle Edition)
Not a terrible book by any means, I just found it a bit long and drawn out, although I did find it reasonably engaging and it kept me fairly interested to the end. To me it seems very dated, unlike some classic novels, and the complete lack of a plot doesn't help! Just nicely observed day to day lives of the chattering idle classes.

Hannah Hauxwell's Winter Tales - Too Long a Winter / A Winter Too Many [DVD] [1973/1989]
Dvd ~ Hannah Hauxwell
Offered by Replay-International

4.0 out of 5 stars Very watchable even in the 21st century!, 13 July 2016
I remember watching these programmes in my twenties and being amazed at the remoteness and sheer grimness of Hannah's existence. Poor woman! Then some years later feeling cheated when I found I had been manipulated by the programme makers and a very skilful cameraman! Hannah's farm is not really remote, have a look on the map - about 2 miles from the village of Cotherstone and from there a short bus ride of about 3 miles to Barnard Castle, a small town with plenty of shops and nowadays a decent supermarket! And pictures of Hannah struggling down to the frozen reservoir to get water, it was at the bottom of her garden! The way it was filmed it looked like it was miles away. I was frustrated with Hannah for not trying to improve her life, I know the farm was the only place she ever knew but it was slowly killing her! Selling it would have provided her with a comfortable little house and a pension for the rest of her life (which she eventually did when her health and strength could not cope with the hard life at the farm any longer).

But time has passed and I look at things differently now, and it has been good to see these documentaries again, in a new light. I can understand why Hannah was so tied to the place, it was a hauntingly beautiful spot, and to someone like Hannah, who was naturally shy, it must have seemed like a safe refuge from the world. I think I could be tempted to give up the comforts of central heating and electricity to spend my days far from the evils of consumerism and a 24 hour society and mobile phones and computers! And traffic. Or maybe not...

Whatever I think of the manipulation used by the film makers, these are still impressive documentaries and they remain very watchable. I wonder if Hannah has revisited her farm, which is now a very desirable residence? It would be interesting to know what she thinks of it!

The Yorkshire Shepherdess
The Yorkshire Shepherdess

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than on the telly, 13 July 2016
I was sceptical about this book but was loaned it by a friend so I gave it a go. Surprisingly Amanda came across well in it, personally I find her a bit irritating in her tv appearances, she seems a bit smug and self satisfied with her 'idyllic' lifestyle in the middle of nowhere with her kids running around wild and free. On paper she is easier to like, a bit more natural and down to earth.

I have been to Ravenseat, I walked there on the way from Tan Hill to Keld and can imagine it is quite hard to get to in the worst of winter weather, but to be honest in England, nowhere is really remote. A good road leads a mile or two to Keld, from there along Swaledale its less than 25 miles to Richmond or about 13 to Kirkby Stephen. For the first 5 years of my working life I commuted 15 miles each way by bus every day, it was no big deal. I always remember how they portrayed Hannah Hawkswell's farm in Teesdale on the tv documentaries, then when I went there some years later it was a bit of a shock to find it was only a few miles from Cotherstone village and then 10 minutes by bus from there to Barnard Castle (which has a supermarket and dozens of shops!) But of course Hannah did not have a tractor and a couple of Land Rovers at her disposal.

Life on Amanda's farm does seem hard, it does not have the appearance of many modern farms and seems quite traditional, there must be few opportunities in such a place to take advantage of tourism, although Keld down the road does have some campsites and Yurts for the convenience of long distance walkers. Nevertheless Amanda has done well to make some extra income through the provision of refreshments, and getting it onto the telly has certainly helped, on my visit the place was certainly busy and no doubt many had come to have a pot of tea and to meet the lady from 'The Dales' and 'Wainwright's Coast to Coast'.

Overall an easy read, if you have seen Amanda on tv you won't really learn anything new

ITV Hub
ITV Hub

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful to have., 24 May 2016
This review is from: ITV Hub (App)
Good search menu and easy to find programmes. Doesn't seem to have the amount of content that BBC iplayer or ALL4 have, and seems to give prominence to a lot of ghastly daytime stuff like Jeremy Kyle.
Adverts are a pain as you cannot fast forward through them and I have to admit I still record ITV programmes quite frequently just so I can fast forward through the adverts and repetitive bits.

BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Catch Up, 24 May 2016
This review is from: BBC iPlayer (App)
A good app, quite a bit of choice now that programmes stay active for 1 month rather than a week as previously. Works ok but a bit clunky and hard to find less popular programmes, I prefer the method used by ITV Hub to search. Would be better if it had more films but I suppose copyright issues prevent this. Overall it is great for catch up and the lack of adverts is a big bonus. Never need to use my hd recorder anymore for BBC programmes.
Biggest drawback with Catch Up services is the inability to fast forward or rewind and see the picture in real time, like you can with a VCR or hard disc recorder, instead you have to guess when you have gone forward or backward enough just using the time at the bottom of the screen.

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 10 May 2016
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
Neat little device which allows me to watch Catch Up services (BBC iplayer, ITV hub etc) as well as access content from my pc. Works fine with my 4mb wifi speed and some content is HD which looks good. There are also a few free games for the kids.

A lot of people seem to be complaining 'there is not much for free' - I am not a Prime member but there is enough on Catch Up for me - Channel 4 in particular has a massive amount of archive programmes. It also means I don't have to worry about setting a PVR recorder. Its also worth downloading the YouTube app, there is an endless amount of stuff on there and plenty of older films and tv shows. All free to watch.

If you want the latest films and tv programmes like Game of Thrones, then yes you have to pay for these, but I know plenty of people who spend a fortune on Sky every month and never complain about that, at least with the Fire stick you can just pay for the films you want to watch, a bit like renting a video!

Braun, Oral B Precision Clean Refill 4pk Toothbrush Heads
Braun, Oral B Precision Clean Refill 4pk Toothbrush Heads
Offered by Innox Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, 18 April 2016
It is a bit of a lottery buying these things! I have had some genuine brush heads but also a few which have been fake. I suppose it depends on the seller, unsurprisingly the last seller I used no longer trades on Amazon so I am currently in discussion direct with Amazon about a refund.

Some counterfeit brush heads are ok except the brushes are a bit stiffer and the blue bristles do not fade with time, this is a good test of authenticity. But apart from that they are useable. My last lot were dreadful, they vibrated so much and were noisy, but the worst part was the large gap between the rotating head and the shaft kept trapping my lip and caused injury on a couple of occasions.

What annoys me is that there are plenty of 'honest' fake brushes on sale for just a couple of quid, but they don't pretend to be genuine Braun ones. These have all the Braun Oral B logos and lettering on the packet so you are conned into paying a lot more in the belief that they are the real thing.

I won't be buying through Amazon again unless they can guarantee there will be no fakes sold on Marketplace. I'll just keep an eye out for special offers at Boots and Superdrug.

I'm attaching some photos of a fake head so you can see the tell tale signs - logo scratches off, broken rear of head, bristles not fading and large gap which traps skin.
Comment Comment | Permalink

EXCEL XL830L Volt Testing LCD Digital Multimeter, Multi-Tester
EXCEL XL830L Volt Testing LCD Digital Multimeter, Multi-Tester
Offered by vankel

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal at 4 quid, 13 April 2016
Bought this to replace a 25 year old multimeter which finally gave up the ghost. I don't need to use it much so I bought this XL830L model for only £4.29, almost too cheap! It arrived quickly and is exactly as advertised. It has far too many functions for me but the main power test, continuity test and battery test functions all work fine. Nice touch to have a little stand at the back and a backlight. Instructions are brief but adequate and written in good English! Nice little box to keep it in as well.

Came with working battery and the compartment lid at the back is secured by one cross head screw, not difficult to remove at all - with the right screwdriver - so I assume some of the negative reviews about this part must refer to a different model. Only issue is that the battery is a tight fit in the compartment so takes a bit of fiddling to get out.

Probably not something you would use if you were a professional, the leads seem a bit lightweight for regular daily use, but for occasional domestic testing mains, fuses, batteries etc. it is ideal. Still don't know how they do it for 4 quid!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16