Profile for Louizalass > Reviews

Content by Louizalass

Louizalass "harrylou" (Isle of Skye)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage
Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine, Laughter and Love, 30 Jun. 2016
What a roller-coaster read! I loved it! As usual, Milly treated the 'darker' experience of one of the characters with a gentle hand. I've loved all MJ's books, and wonder why she isn't an Agony Aunt for a womens' mag because as well as the love and laughter she includes in all her stories, she pinpoints the cruelties of men and women alike and shows that cruelty and bullying can be overcome - and for those who are experiencing anything similar they must breath a sigh of relief that they are not alone and they can get themselves back on track.

I'm not a wildlife kind of person but wouldn't harm a living creature and so enjoyed the stories of the animals and birds - which were the main focus of the story.

I was half-way through the book when citizens of the UK decided to start hurling hate at each other after the recent referendum so it was just wonderful to shut out the world and live at Wildflower Cottage for a few days.

Thank you, Milly. xx

Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)
Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)

2.0 out of 5 stars IF ONLY A GOOD AUTHOR HAD WRITTEN THIS, 9 Mar. 2016
I've given the story 2 stars because, the story HAD potential and isn't toooo badly written. Having said that, I've given up just over half-way through. The main character Helen Grace is such an unsympathetic character that I really ended up hating the stupid woman. I've never read 50 Shades as that's of no turn-on for me so the the S&M 'scenes' in the book were pointless and stupid. And, as others have said, the DIs handling of many situations was just..... ridiculous! In the hands of a different author, this could have been a really good story!

DALZIEL AND PASCOE - The Complete Series 1 to 11 [IMPORT]
DALZIEL AND PASCOE - The Complete Series 1 to 11 [IMPORT]

3.0 out of 5 stars Delighted - then disappointed!, 18 Jun. 2015
Delighted - then disappointed! Enjoyed all the books about Dalziel & Pascoe written by Reginald Hill. After reading other reviews here, I took the plunge to buy the box set because although only a handful of the episodes were from the books (the rest written especially for these DVD releases) others had said all the stories were good.

Take it from me, they're not! We are now on Series 8 and working our way through to 11. I have 3 main gripes:

1: The majority of the action seems to take place either in the dark or total black-out! We know there's nothing wrong with the settings because when daylight scenes (rare) are shown, they're fine. Husband and I are fed up peering at the screen to work out what might be happening there in the dark!
2: The music is dreadful! It's like the kind you used to hear on poor 1970s movies. And there's constant music through most of the action on screen, whether it's running around (in the dark) action, or walking up/down a path action, the music is there, driving us nuts.
3: The scripts are disappointing in the later stories. Unrealistic and always with a 'mushy' ending! Also, apart from Warren Clarke and a few other exceptions, the acting is either wooden or overly-dramatic. The sort of thing you come to expect from poor, daytime soap operas. And one more thing - the character Peter Pascoe, played by Colin Buchanan - I don't recall him being so depressed and moody! And Ellie - when did she get to be a bitch?

We'll continue to watch to series 11 (after all, we paid out a lot of money) but I do so want to get to the end of series 11 before I become thoroughly depressed!

New Ladies Bolero Shrug Crop Cardigan Womens Short Sleeve Stretch Top Purple Size 12 - 14
Offered by Easy buyy

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small!, 14 Jan. 2014
I read the previous reviews on the product and decided to get a size larger than I normally wear - and the bolero was still too small! I suspect these are really boleros for either tiny women or girls!

The Fabulous Fox Twins
The Fabulous Fox Twins
by Ken McCoy

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story-teller, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Fabulous Fox Twins (Hardcover)
I have read everything that Ken McCoy has written and loved every one of his tales. It fits all the requirements I need in a story: good fun, great characters and page-turning. Marvellous.

Tottie (The Story Of A Doll's House)
Tottie (The Story Of A Doll's House)
Dvd ~ Oliver Postgate
Offered by Northlands-Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - but be careful!, 2 Jun. 2013
I bought this DVD for my 4-year-old grandaughter who lives in the US and loves dolls. I did remember a little of the story by Rumer Godden when my own daughter was about 9 years old and read the book and saw the televised version - and there was something about a fire... So I decided to watch the DVD first before sending it off.

Glad I did because one of the scenes near the end of the story is really not suitable for a 4-year-old. A child who loves dolls would be distressed when one of the main character dolls goes up in a ball of flame because she stepped too close to a candle!

Otherwise, the story is utterly charming and old-fashioned and would delight every little girl who loves dolls. But do be warned about the graphic content. I just wish there was an edited version!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2015 9:36 PM GMT

Accused
Accused
Dvd ~ Richard Laxton
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly ......, 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Accused (DVD)
Fan - tast - ic. Only word for it. Each story is a gem. Each story is gripping. So glad I discovered Jimmy McGovern's work! I've also recently ordered The Street - another wonderfully gripping series by McGovern. Buy Accused and The Street and you won't be disappointed!

Belle (Belle 1)
Belle (Belle 1)
by Lesley Pearse

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab - mostly!, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Belle (Belle 1) (Paperback)
Others have written a more in-depth review of this book so all I will add to the positive reviews is that if you enjoy a well plotted page turner, then go on - buy it!

I've read all of Lesley Pearce's books but hesitated about buying Belle because of the not-so-positive reviews concerning the more unsavoury aspects of the story. All I can say is, do not worry, dear reader! Yes, there are a few lines here and there of a more graphic content than our favourite author has previously written, but I would say that they are there for a good reason. Our heroine is a feisty girl and you will find yourself rooting for her all the way!

I took off 1-star simply because the story did lapse into the style of Mills & Boon occasionally which had me rolling my eyes, but basically I enjoyed the book and read it from beginning to end in just under a week.

Recommended as a great read for these long, winter evenings!

A Bitter Legacy
A Bitter Legacy
by Lynda Page

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 18 April 2011
This review is from: A Bitter Legacy (Paperback)
I've enjoyed Lynda Page's books and this is no different.

I shan't include any spoilers in my review - you can read the synopsis for the book to get the gist. All I will say is that the book arrived on Friday and I'd read it by Sunday night! I just couldn't put it down. It's a real page turner - I just had to know what happened!

Marvellous!

Think Twice
Think Twice
by Lisa Scottoline

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes .... and no.....!, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Think Twice (Hardcover)
Luckily, I got my copy from the library or I would have been really disappointed! I've read some glowing reports about the book but really, I can't agree with James Patterson's assertion that this is possibly Lisa's best work (but then, I don't like his books so perhaps that tells me something?!)

The start of the story goes well enough but apart from the use of short, cliff-hanger chapters, Ms Scottoline appears to have been half-hearted in her writing. It never quite hits the spot - a lot of it is clumsy and predictable and, except perhaps for the beginning of the story, her action scenes are a bit of a let down.

The character of Mary D'Nunzio drove me mad!! And as for Mary's 'psychic' aunt, Floreala, well for goodness sake!! But at least I felt something, so that's a plus.

If the same story had been written by CJ Carver or Greg Hurwitz for instance, then I'm certain they'd have handled the action in a different and more believable way.

But as someone else said, the book was readable and as long as you don't expect Ms Scottoline's usual kind of story, then you may even enjoy this.

But I can't give it more than 2 stars. Sorry!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5