Profile for D. Howard > Reviews

Content by D. Howard

D. Howard (London United Kingdom)

Dolly: A Ghost Story (The Susan Hill Collection)
Dolly: A Ghost Story (The Susan Hill Collection)
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, 27 Oct. 2013
Susan Hill has coined the market really on the good, old-fashioned ghost story. This didn't disappoint. Beautifully written, as one expects from this excellent writer and with a lot of atmosphere and enough creepiness to enjoy. If you like a good Victorian style ghost story (even though it is not Victorian) then this is great.

Ash
Ash
by James Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Ash (Paperback)
I am surprised that so many have given this book an unfavourable review, I find it extremely enjoyable and have been unable to put it down (I'm halfway through). The idea is a haunted house mystery basically but with enough twists and turns to make it much more original than that. I don't find it long-winded in the least, like some people seem to have done.
I recommend it highly to anyone who likes a good supernatural read, it is of a similarly high standard as all of Herbert's other books, in my opinion.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 2:49 PM BST

A Winter's Tale
A Winter's Tale
by Trisha Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but annoying, 11 Jan. 2011
This review is from: A Winter's Tale (Paperback)
The story of this book is a good rags to riches tale in a nice setting with some quirky characters. However, this is the only reason for me giving 3 stars, reading on to the end and not binning the book earlier, because it is an extremely annoying read in which the main character often comes across as so thick where men are concerned that it makes you want scream.
Jack is portrayed as an awful, transparent man, who the most stupid of people could see through within the first page he appears and yet for page after page our leading lady seems to be endeared by his charmlessness and duped by his obvious scheming.
The obvious romantic alternative is not all that interesting either because they seem to get by on a series of basic and uninteresting misunderstandings. It is a shame because the storyline could have made this book so good.

The Memory Garden
The Memory Garden
by Rachel Hore

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy surprise, 16 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Memory Garden (Paperback)
After having this book on my shelf for a very long time (it had been lent me) I started to read it simply because I had run out of other books having read loads recently. I honestly didn't think it was my kind of book and started with very low expectations. Well, I didn't need to worry, I really loved it, although it took me a couple of chapters to get to that point. By chapter three I was hooked and couldn't put it down, in fact, finishing it within a couple of days. Really enjoyable characters and a fantastic location, it made me want to live there and I really wanted another couple of chapters so that I could enjoy a bit more of these peoples story. It has made me want to read all this authors other material now. I am surprised that the reviews are a little mixed, but I suppose that no book is everyone's cup of tea. I recommend with five stars though!

Practical Self Sufficiency
Practical Self Sufficiency
by Dick Strawbridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 18 Sept. 2010
Often oversize books appear on the bookshelves and never really get read, just browsed with most interest in the pictures. Not this one, I bought this book and read it from cover to cover, literally, on the day I bought it - non stop. It is both practical and inspirational and certainly made me want to trade in my current life for a life attempting self-sufficiency. Obviously there are a lot of topics covered, and often if you wanted to take it further you would have to do more research, but what this book gives you is the ideas to persue and the inspiration required, simply by the enthusiasm with which it is written. It is packed full of projects, small and large, that anyone could undertake - I loved the idea for the greenhouse heat sink, the solar dryer and the cold smoker - and one of the really great parts are the hand drawn plans for the various size gardens and workshop and what you could fit in there.
It inspired me so much that I have been looking at properties with more outside space and changing my future plans.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2010 10:07 AM BST

Kitchen Craft Cooking Thermometer
Kitchen Craft Cooking Thermometer

1.0 out of 5 stars same as all the others., 13 Sept. 2010
I too bought this product and the tip has just broken off. I am so cross about it because I have been handling it very carefully. Too fragile for use in the kitchen.

The Fraud
The Fraud
by Barbara Ewing

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Ewing hit., 22 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Fraud (Paperback)
I am a great fan of Barbara Ewing and her books just seem to get better and better. Always well researched and beautifully written and with that 'can't put it down' quality. This book, about an 18th century talented female artist who has to hide her talent made me look up some of the art mentioned on the internet, and learn more about some of the artists of the day. I certainly have begun to expect works of quality from this author but every one of her books hits the mark. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Tell It To The Skies
Tell It To The Skies
by Erica James

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new Erica James novel, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Tell It To The Skies (Paperback)
I loved this book. Yes, it is very different from all Erica James' previous novels, but the change is a good one. It is a less light-hearted, but that makes for an interesting and well-written story. The main character is instantly likeable and the story is gripping. I read it in a couple of days because I couldn't put it down. I have loved all Erica James' novels, but for me, this one is the best to date (certainly not putting the others down) and I am almost ready to re-read it. I highly recommend it for both those who have tried Erica James before and those who have not.

Bach: French & English Suite
Bach: French & English Suite
by Johann Sebastian Bach

1.0 out of 5 stars misleading, 11 Feb. 2008
This is not a piano score, but a mini score, so useless if you want to play the pieces. It is misleading unless you actually take the trouble to read the dimensions and then you will realise it is very small with tiny print.

Celestine Meditations
Celestine Meditations
by Salle Merrill Redfield
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a succesful meditation tape, 6 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Celestine Meditations (Audio CD)
As someone who has wanted to explore the world of meditation, but who has great difficulty in concentrating and focusing this tape was great. It is very relaxing and east to follow, the speaker is nice to listen to with good sound affects and background music. The first side of the tape is about 25 minutes and is a journey into an old forest where you learn to relax and energise your body. The other side of the tape, also 25 minutes focuses on a walk on the beach. Both of the featured meditations have a powerful effect on the body and I have used them almost daily since I have bought them. Well worth it if you find meditation hard but want to perservere.