Profile for m > Reviews

Content by m

m (Dorset)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Fire and Sword (Captain Rawson series Book 3)
Fire and Sword (Captain Rawson series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Cornwell, 26 Jun. 2016
This is the first book I have read of Marston and I would not go out of my way to find and read another.. Thin plot, two dimensional characters and verging on Mills and Boone at times. Cornwell it isn't. Very repetitive and could have been half the length

Silk Road
Silk Road

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read giving an in depth insight to the way ..., 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Silk Road (Kindle Edition)
A good read giving an in depth insight to the way people lived in the East in the thirteenth century. On the whole the plot is was a little hard to swallow and I felt the sloppy ending stopped it from getting 5 stars.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this for a (hinted) Xmas present and it is great. It just makes one mug which is just ..., 18 Jan. 2015
Had this for a (hinted) Xmas present and it is great. It just makes one mug which is just right for me as o/h only drinks tea. The filter does clog with grounds and needs unscrewing slightly to rinse them away but apart from that it is perfect.
Despite the German sounding name it is like nearly everything we buy, made in China.

The Emperor's Knives: Empire VII
The Emperor's Knives: Empire VII

3.0 out of 5 stars All the 'gang' are here and it it's an ok read no better or worse than the others, 5 Sept. 2014
The location is different to the others being set in Rome so there aren't the overlong protracted pages and pages of battles as in other s of the series .All the 'gang' are here and it it's an ok read no better or worse than the others. My only gripe with Riches (and perhaps I am the only person that notices this) is the irritating 'raising of an eyebrow' on nearly every other page of every chapter of every book! They must have used more body language than that. No doubt the next book will be another 'eyebrow raising' adventure.
Despite that I will probably read the next one.

The Eagle's Prey (Eagles of the Empire 5): Cato & Macro: Book 5
The Eagle's Prey (Eagles of the Empire 5): Cato & Macro: Book 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Indiana Cato, 25 Feb. 2014
I seemed to picked on the more recent books in this series first so this one is back tracking and therefore out of sequence for me. It is a good read but there seems to be a lot of 'how do we get out of this' a la Indiana Jones. A different location ie Britannia and Caracatus as the main foe although enemies are within too. Vespasian features quite a bit in this story who'se adventures I have enjoyed in Robert Fabbri's books. The ending is a bit too contrived for me but ties it up ready for the next episode.

False God of Rome (Vespasian Series Book 3)
False God of Rome (Vespasian Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Feb. 2014
An interesting mixture of Rome's turmoil and the beginnings of Christianity but not necessarily factually correct, this book has, as all Roman hero books have, our hero on a mission (or two). I preferred the writing to Anthony Riches books which have similar pair of main characters. This episode deals with theft and politics but does give a detailed insight to the lives of Romans during that period.
Worth a read although I have not read the next episodes to know whether they are better or becoming samey.

English  Electric  Full Power
English Electric Full Power

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 7 Feb. 2014
I was perhaps expecting something heavier as it comes across more folky and pastoral instead but apart from the weak vocals and,for me, too much orchestration it's not bad. It will grow on me in time I'm sure.
The reason for 3*only is because of the packaging mess. The booklet track listing is completely different to the cds, neither can be told apart as there is nothing written on either of them other than Full power /off. The bonus tracks are not listed either and this is new packaging and came from BBTs store.
I only picked upon this band via Spock's Beard (who now have a better vocalist than NDV) but I don't think I'll be going through the back catalogue any time soon.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2014 5:25 PM BST

Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 4 Feb. 2014
I was a bit wary about buying another Beard album as I didn't go much on SB, I struggled to listen to the end finding NDV's vocals jarring on me so I didn't bother with SBX.I was also sceptical about Ted Leonard joining as I also struggled to listen to Enchant.
I went for this one as there were so many good reviews and to my surprise they were all correct. This is a very good album and I like Ted's vocals here. The only bummer is Thoughts, why? it was ok as a novelty previously but seeing as Neal Morse had also redone Thoughts on 'Momentum' this is a rehash too far. I only wish I was given the special edition but this is a great single album.

The Spy: Isaac Bell #3 (Isaac Bell Series)
The Spy: Isaac Bell #3 (Isaac Bell Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 1 Feb. 2014
I struggled to read to the end as the plot was just too far fetched and full of ridiculous stereotypes but most of CC's plots and characters are. I like another reviewer found it hard to imagine that this was set in 1908. I wouldn't bother with any more 'Bell; adventures.

Arena (Roman Arena)
Arena (Roman Arena)
by Simon Scarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual standard, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Arena (Roman Arena) (Paperback)
I like others have enjoyed the previous Macro/Cato books and hoped this prequel would be as good but the fact that Scarrow has chosen to have a co author on this one and was written for younger readers should have warned me off, as, with other authors who co write, they are rarely as good and are possibly running out of ideas. It's ok, that's about all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4