Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now
Profile for Richard Douglason > Reviews

The Matrix [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matrix / Movie
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars There is only one, 19 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Matrix [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
An epithany of a movie. One to change your outlook on life and reality. Now it is such an icon it is hard to just enjoy it. And then there's the other movies which don't help matter either.
So buy this, erase all hype and comment from your mind, ignore the other films and enjoy a watershed of filming art.

The Matrix Reloaded (2 Disc Edition) [2003] [DVD]
The Matrix Reloaded (2 Disc Edition) [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves

1.0 out of 5 stars There is only one, 19 Feb. 2004
Believe me, this is not in the same league as the first film. The setting and the people are not compelling. The philosophy misses the mark. It leaves you dissapointed and wishing you had stuck to just seeing the first one.
So say with me "there is no follow up cash in spoon of a film".

The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves|Carrie-Anne Moss|Laurence Fishburne

1.0 out of 5 stars There is only one, 19 Feb. 2004
So say with me "there is no follow up cash in spoon of a film".

Palm Tungsten E Handheld OS 5.2.1 / 32Mb
Palm Tungsten E Handheld OS 5.2.1 / 32Mb
Offered by pdarepair

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Tao of Palm, 19 Feb. 2004
After 3 months use:
Since my previous review (see below), I would now recomend that if you are considering running more high end applications such as emulators (Gameboy, Arcade, Atari ST), you may want more grunt behind you in terms of precessor power and available software RAM.
One other comment is that the Tungsten and Palm logo has rubbed off on mine after only a months careful use.
I am still impressed by the number of great programmes available as shareware, freeware and comercially for te palm.
-----
Review of First Impressions:
Being new to the world of partable computer gadgets, I was unsure how useful I would find this. But the idea of being able to enter text on the go was enough for me to buy a Tungsten E. And at the price I didn't have alot to loose.
After using it for about a month I am most impressed. Being able to write and read emails then simply sync to send is great, my wife also loves this as I usually hog the computer in the day for work.
The amount of free and shareware software was also a great benefit. As the palm has been around for so long a healthy community of programmers etc has produced thousands of pieces of software.
Then the other day, I got around to adding an Sd card and trying out listening to mp3's and agian on this count I was impressed at the ease and quality of it's use.
All in all a great product. High production values akin to that of Apple.

The Best Of Del Amitri: Hatful Of Rain
The Best Of Del Amitri: Hatful Of Rain
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy with love, 19 Feb. 2004
While this is a good greatest hits collection. (Which maybe deserves more that 1 star). It really is worth getting the albums themselves. You can pick them up for a fraction of their price in the marketplace, and then you have the songs as they were meant to be heard, in their original setting.
If you do end up with the greatest hits, you must also get the complimentary b-sides collection "Lousy with Love", many a hidden Gem.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Two Disc Theatrical Edition) [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Extended Version, 18 Feb. 2004
I am someone totally sold on Lord of the Rings, both books and films, and subsiduary texts. You can rest assured that Peter Jackson and team knew what they were doing and have delivered a true to Tolkein rendition of the saga.
The point of adding yet another review to this dvd? Simply this, don't buy it! Buy the extended version instead. With an extra half an hour or so of the film, it is worth it. For the purists is includes lots that never made it to theatures, and to newbies it makes alot more sense of what is going on in later films.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Two Disc Theatrical Edition) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Extended Version, 18 Feb. 2004

Gotta Get Thru This
Gotta Get Thru This

4.0 out of 5 stars The Passion, 16 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
Another unusual album for me. I'd normally go for something for left field like Counting Crows or Radiohead. But having enjoyed seeing him live on the "tele" a few times I thought I'd give him a try.
What has always impressed me is thta he writes his own material, and that he is so whole hearted and passionate when performing. See him sing a track, and you feel like he has bared his soul for all to see.
The album itself has all the songs you will remember him doing. although it represents obviously less developed versions of most of them. They seem to have taken on more life as time has gone by. So when the singles hit the streets there is added depth.
This is no bad thing though, in a similar way to Pop by U2. It seems that this is an early release in the process, and means that it is not over produced.
On reflectiong I would however have prefered a live album, to capture more of that passion and improvisation that he is making his name for.

O
O

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Take my Ear off of You, 11 Feb. 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
"I can't take my eye's off of you" These lyrics had stuck in my head and some deeper place, after a breif listen in Virgin. Something stuck with me. I hadn't felt moved like that since hearing Round Here (Counting Crows) for the first time.
It didn't take very long for me to return and buy the album. Once home, I found the rest didn't dissapoint. Both in continuing to delvier emotion on that level, but also in challenging the listener to some more difficult tracks.

The Nonviolent Atonement
The Nonviolent Atonement
by J. Denny Weaver

5.0 out of 5 stars One Story, 10 Feb. 2004
Having grown up in a baptist evangelical church I have always heard words like attonement and sacrifice and satisfaction swung around, most often on a sunday. I am used to the way they are used and the sorts of devices they can be used to trigger when explaining the bible and faith and "all that".
However, for a few years now I had been hoping to find something that felt more honest about the way the world seem to me, something more down to earth, more engaging of life. I had started my journey towards this, not least with the big NT Wright books (see other reivews), some time ago.
Then I came to read this book, after recomendation from a friend, and found that it both complemented my other reading and focused it on this key point of Atonement.
Somehow, I had managed to avoid any detailed thinking about this (how the world and people are set straight) until now. And I am grateful both my friend and Weaver for getting me to finally think about this now.
This has meant I have started to see, more clearly than before, why I felt so much like a fish out of water in the stream I grew up and came to faith in. I could start to understand why it valued the things it did.
And, more importantly for me, to start to really engage with other options. And to understand how to let go of the one I grew up with.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5