Profile for L. Astbury > Reviews

Content by L. Astbury

L. Astbury "Minksie" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Chubby Vegetarian: 100 Inspired Vegetable Recipes for the Modern Table
The Chubby Vegetarian: 100 Inspired Vegetable Recipes for the Modern Table
by Justin Fox Burks

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Healthy, Delicious, and achievable vegetarian recipes., 23 Mar. 2017
I've been a huge fan of The Chubby Vegetarians since discovering their blog, and the subsequent publishing of their first cookbook The Southern Vegetarian, a book crammed full of the most tasty, inspiring, and achievable vegetarian recipes - this book never leaves my kitchen. So I desperately wanted their second book, and was delighted to receive a copy for Christmas from my husband. I'm just amazed at how they have created so many more fresh vegetarian recipes once again. So far I've cooked Grilled Summer Vegetable Pizza, - voted best pizza ever tasted by my other half, Vegan breakfast Sausage - really tasty, my go-to veggie sausage now, Nicoise Salad, so good you don't notice it is fish-less, Chipotle Elote Salad, Apple Parsnip Soup,Vegetarian Paella and Amazing Almond Flour Biscuits (Gluten and Sugar free) (Almond Flour = Ground Almonds). If you get this book, and I hope you do, you won't ever regret it, please make these biscuits first - they are indescribably delicious - and very moreish. The photography is stunning throughout, and the recipes are straightforward and easy to follow. If you come across an unfamiliar sounding ingredient, just look it up - so far I've managed to find most things, or, find out an easy substitute - for instance, it's so easy to make your own buttermilk if you can't find it in the shops. This book will not be leaving my kitchen either, I will be using it all year round, and I'm looking forward to making Roast Beast (a veggie roast) in the summer on the barbecue - when summer arrives!

Swallow This: Serving Up the Food Industry's Darkest Secrets
Swallow This: Serving Up the Food Industry's Darkest Secrets
by Joanna Blythman

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital read for health, 1 Jun. 2016
A book I wish everyone could read - could save lives. For anyone wanting to know about exactly what is in processed food, a vital read - I guarantee fresh, real food will be the only option after this book. Joanna Blythman is a very brave woman and her book deserves much more attention. Please read this book if you care what you and your family eat. Your eyes will be wide opened!

The Pollan Family Table: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom for Delicious, Healthy Family Meals
by Corky Pollan

5.0 out of 5 stars Find room for this book!, 19 Feb. 2015
I love American Recipe books for their different take on food, different ways of using herbs and spices, to produce simply delicious meals. This is my fifth book, a gift at Christmas, and I haven't stopped using it since then. It is also a very enjoyable read, giving a glimpse into the Pollan Family shared cooking and meal times. Having made quite a few of the recipes now, I can highly recommend this book to anyone, as no fancy techniques or skills are required, only those most of us have who cook for family and friends. The instructions are clear, easy, and not too much. Everything I've tried has been really delicious, and although it is an American book, and a (very) few of the ingredients were unfamiliar to me, I just typed it into the browser search box on my tablet for explanation or substitute and have not had any difficulty in scaling down the recipes for two, for my normal day to day cooking. The recipes are brilliant for every day cooking, but also for cooking for guests with the added bonus, especially for me, of being fairly fast to prepare and cook. Two recent meals were the Sea Scallop Fricassee with Tomatoes and Corn, (amazing flavours), and Cheese Tortellini with Butternut Squash and hazelnuts (so simple but wonderful flavours). It is a big book, but it hasn't left my kitchen since I got it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2015 5:32 PM GMT

Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
by Michael Pollan

5.0 out of 5 stars One amazing read, 13 Nov. 2014
I bought this book for myself, finished it and passed it on to my daughter, but then had to get another copy as I couldn't bear to be without this book. I have to keep re-reading the section on the making of the Saint-Nectaire cheese - one of the most awe inspiring and profound things I've ever read. It made me stop and think a What IS that! in response to the description of the fascinating system of micro-organism processes taking place to produce - a cheese. Just stopped me in my tracks and I haven't stopped thinking about this since. I wasn't going to read the section on the pit- masters as I am veggie, but I did and was very glad I did, so much I didn't know. The entire book is very informative, inspiring, and very enjoyable. I can't recommend this book too highly, the appreciation of all our food and the love of cooking is there for everyone, and I find this book a continuous source of inspiration. Thank you, Michael Pollan.

Pressure cooking cookbook: a complete guide about pressure cooking  with mouthwatering and healthy recipes
Pressure cooking cookbook: a complete guide about pressure cooking with mouthwatering and healthy recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars really good and varied selection of pressure cooker recipes, 7 Nov. 2014
I am new to pressure cooking, so I was looking around for books to inspire me as well as being practical guides. This book has some tips and advice, but the main focus of the book is the excellent selection of healthy and tasty recipes. Vegetarian Split Pea Soup is really good, and not something I would cook the conventional way as it creates too much heat and steam! Doesn't give serving amounts, but good nutritional breakdown. A worthwhile addition to my PC recipe books.

Pressure Cooking Properly Explained
Pressure Cooking Properly Explained
by Dianne Page

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful guide to pressure cooking, 4 Nov. 2014
As a new pressure cooker user, this is the best book I've found so far, and everything I've cooked using the guidelines in this book has turned out perfectly. Some really good recipes too. An excellent book.

Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites
Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites
by Barney Desmazery

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes - but don't look for pressure cooking guidance charts, 4 Nov. 2014
Really good if it is recipes you are looking for, but no use for good guidance and advice on pressure cooking. As I'm new to pressure cooking and my pan came with precious little information on cooking different foods - how long, how much water etc - this wasn't really the book I was looking for. However, there some great recipes in this book which I will be trying when I've got a bit more confidence with my particular pressure cooker.

Korma, Kheer and KIsmet: Five Seasons in Old Delhi
Korma, Kheer and KIsmet: Five Seasons in Old Delhi

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book to treasure, 6 Oct. 2014
An absolutely glorious foodie tour of Old Delhi! I was riveted to the book and felt almost transported to Old Delhi, almost smelling and tasting the foods on offer, almost hearing the cacophony of sounds, feeling the bustle and hustle of very crowded, dusty lanes. At first my mental eyebrows shot up at Pamela Timms' daring to venture into the back streets of Old Delhi, and try the street food cooked in the myriad of hidden cafés. As she gets bolder, I relaxed and enjoyed the tour. There are several recipes throughout the chapters - I have got to have a go at Kheer, as I love it! I wish it was possible to buy this book in the UK, I would love to buy it for friends. I was lucky enough to have one brought back for me from Delhi. Beautifully written, a book to treasure.

The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook: 100 Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Table
The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook: 100 Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Table

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! I can't recommend this book highly enough., 7 Jan. 2014
When last in the US I got a liking for biscuits and gravy, which I first sampled at a truck stop on highway 101 - such delicious comfort food! Back in the UK, I started looking on the Internet for vegetarian versions of sausage gravy and came across this book. Anyway, luckily for me Santa Claus brought me a copy for Christmas, and I have scarcely put it down since. Today I made the Mushroom Meat to put away in the freezer (amazing smell during cooking and the taste is superb), and for lunch I made the Southern Benedict with wilted spinach and expresso red- eye gravy - just divine! The flavours in the gravy are out of this world and I will be making this many more times. I had to invest in a few ingredients I couldn't buy in the shops here (liquid smoke, Braggs aminos) but these will last ages as you only uses small amounts at a time, and the outlay has been well worth it. I also had to google how to make Creole Mustard as I couldn't find any - very easy, Dijon + Worcester sauce. This book is so choc full of the most amazing recipes, most of them very quick to make with simple healthy ingredients, the combination of which is heavenly, it has a permanent and prominent place in my kitchen! Thank you so much Justin Fox Burks & Amy Lawrence - can't wait for your next book. (Making vegetarian meatloaf next!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 6:48 PM GMT

Slaughterhouse Five [DVD]
Slaughterhouse Five [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Sacks

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Slaughterhouse Five [DVD] (DVD)
An absolutely brilliant film full of depth of meaning. It doesn't date. Will be giving this as presents at Christmas!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4