Profile for undignifiedmanatee > Reviews

undignifiedmanatee

We're Gonna Walk Around This City With Our Headphones On To Block the Noise
We're Gonna Walk Around This City With Our Headphones On To Block the Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars GO., 16 Oct. 2010
BUY THIS ALBUM NOW. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

Apologies for not really reviewing this album but having written out about four and then deleting them as soon as I re-read them, there wasn't much else I could do. CLICHÉ ALERT: Words can't really explain how good this is. Ben Parker doesn't really sing but more shouts, yelps and spits his way through as if he can't really contain himself while his brother Adam's drumming is an explosion of cymbals and snare rolls. It sounds a bit like an alternate reality punk where no-one ripped off Chuck Berry.

Lyrically, it's mix of bitterness, isolation and loathing peppered with pop-culture references all fired off as fast as possible in a way that sounds like it could fall apart at any moment. Choice lyrics include 'and it hits me without warning, an old man's hand creeping into skin I used to own', 'I want goth girls in shades to take to the stage and mumble incoherently a load of dodgy poetry about me' and 'you can burn down my home town, I don't care to be quite honest. It's just a forest of KFCs, Starbucks and Maccy D's'. I could go on but what's the point? The lyrics need to be heard to be felt.

I'm going to stop here because I risk sounding like a fool.

The point is this album deserves to be heard by more people. It might not be to everyone's tastes but it's too good to just have a small cult following on certain parts of the internet. I would never have reviewed it otherwise.

P.S. I have nothing to do with the small label involved with releasing this. Jamie from Audio Antihero is a great guy for releasing this but I've never met him and barely know anything about it.