Profile for Judith@zest > Reviews

Content by Judith@zest

Judith@zest "Judith" (Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Complete Book of Mosaics: Techniques and Instructions for Over 25 Beautiful Home Accents
by Emma Biggs

4.0 out of 5 stars Mosaics, 27 Nov. 2011
A good book for anyone new to mosaics as well as useful to those who have already started making mosaics. The step by step pictures are really helpful, as they show the various processes involved, especially with the somewhat tricky Indirect method.
My only negative comment is that the projects in the book, other than the glass tea light holders, as seen on the front cover, are extremely dated, or somewhat retro!
However, the 2 authors have been in the mosaic business for many years, and have enormous experience. I think that the projects in the book, & the items made are drawn from over the years, perhaps over 20-30 years, hence being old fashioned.
If you are after a more contemporary look, go for Garden Mosaics by Becky Paton or Stylish Mosaics by Anne Cardwell. Both are very good. However, this book really does give a good grounding, so still has its place on your bookshelf.

Piatnik Playing Cards Deluxe Card Holder
Piatnik Playing Cards Deluxe Card Holder

5.0 out of 5 stars Best card holder ever, 27 Nov. 2011
Not a toy. It is a wonderful aid for anyone with a hand problem, arthritis or whatever. I was struggling to play a game of cards and had pain in my hand for the following 2 days each time I tried. So I searched on Amazon and found a few card holders. I went to the Jesters site and ordered 3 different kinds, as just one lot of p&p would be charged.
This is by far the best of the holders. It stands on its own. It is easy to put the cards in, and to move them and remove them. Also they are held on an angle so that viewing them is comfortable.
Worth every penny. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Not What She Seems
Not What She Seems

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 21 Nov. 2011
I have really enjoyed this book. The pace was rapid with plenty going on, and enough to keep you guessing too. I will definely look forward to reading more by this author. Brilliant value too. A good read for only 99p. Thank you Amazon.

Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 1)
Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 20 Nov. 2011
I have just finished this book and thought I'd review it straightaway. I have really enjoyed it. At first I wondered, but within a few pages I could engage with it. It is different, quirky, funny in places, with unexpected twists. All in all a darn good read, and it is free. Go for it!

A Beginner's Guide to Kiln-Formed Glass: Fused, Slumped, Cast
A Beginner's Guide to Kiln-Formed Glass: Fused, Slumped, Cast
by Brenda Griffith

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiln fusing, 15 Nov. 2011
I bought this book on the basis of the various reviews I had read. It is a book that will be useful to those with some knowledge as well as those new to working with warm glass. Some of the projects are very advanced and require a decent sized kiln, and sometimes other tools. However, this means that it is a book that you may refer too for many years to come. Some are not to my taste, but the methods can still be used on other projects.
There is a beautiful Flame Panel in the book. It inspired me and after blowing up the template on a photocopier, I have successfully made it, even though It meant paying for kiln hire.
I think that a complete beginner may find this book daunting, however, for me it was the 2nd glass fusing book that I bought, and the Flame Panel alone has made it a worthwhile investment.
Beware, glass fusing is addictive, and will upset your bank balance!!!!

Dusk
Dusk

4.0 out of 5 stars Dusk, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Dusk (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable read, BUT there are about 20 pages missing in the kindle version, approx 3/4 of the way through. The story suddenly jumped in the middle of an interesting part, making no sense at all. A quick check highlighted the fact that part of the book was missing.
However I still enjoyed it.

Inspirations in Kiln-formed Glass: 25 Projects for Fusing and Slumping
Inspirations in Kiln-formed Glass: 25 Projects for Fusing and Slumping
by Gillian Hulse

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass fusing book, 24 Aug. 2011
My book arrived today and I have just spent a pleasant hour glancing through it. It is a well laid out book, with lots of large full colour pictures, as well as step by step colour pictures. The text is straightforward and easy to understand, and the instructions are clear too.
An excellent book with a good level of knowledge for both beginners and those who have done a few pieces before. I will definitely be following some of the ideas to create similar pieces with my own slant to them.
Don't hesitate if you are looking for a book on fusing to inspire you. This one is an absolute bargain.

Loctite Glass Bond - 3ml Tube
Loctite Glass Bond - 3ml Tube
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good glue, 31 July 2011
I bought a tube of this over 20 years ago, when making pewter paperweights, which needed a glass dome to be stuck on them. I still have several of these and they have been stuck fast for all that time, 20 odd years. In the last two years I have been making stained glass panels, copper foiled items and glass mosaics. During this time I have occasionally wanted to stick a glass drop onto the surface of a mosaic (headlamps for a mosaic camper van), and used the same tube of glue.
My latest venture is fused glass jewellery, and this meant digging out my glue again, to stick silver plated hanging bails on a number of pendants. I did this yesterday, and amazingly my 20 year old tube of Locktite Glass Bond still works.
I am now going to buy a new tube, as I don't want to push my luck.
What a wonderful product. Bonds within a minute or two in daylight conditions, and worth leaving a few hours if it is subject to wear and tear.

Sister
Sister

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 26 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
Don't read all the reviews as some people insist on telling you the plot when they review! Just read the book. You won't be disappointed. An excellent book!

Emergency: Wife Lost and Found (Mills & Boon) (Mills & Boon Medical)
Emergency: Wife Lost and Found (Mills & Boon) (Mills & Boon Medical)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading...., 17 Jun. 2011
I really enjoyed this book, which surprised me as I never buy Romances! The medical aspect was realistic, and the plot moved at a natural pace. The story was well developed and kept me engrossed. And I mean engrossed! Go on, download it and enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9