Profile for Abzorba the Greek > Reviews

Content by Abzorba the Greek

Abzorba the Greek (Rhodes, Greece)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
One Greek Summer... (Never a Dull Moment Book 3)
One Greek Summer... (Never a Dull Moment Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good exploration of the human experience - the location a bonus too for Grecophiles, 19 July 2014
This book, although set in Greece (obviously) deals, as do all good stories, with people, relationships and the kinds of emotions and dramas that all of us deal with through life. I'd suggest two other books in the same vein which also have received good reviews so far are "The View From Kleoboulos" and "A Brief Moment of Sunshine", both of which explore similar themes and are in fact connected through their characters too. They also take the reader to various parts of Greece, but especially Lindos on Rhodes.

We all identify with the things that happen to these characters and that's why most of us derive some satisfaction, pleasure even, from reading about them. It helps us to deal with our own ups and downs.

Mylo Xyloto
Mylo Xyloto

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (MP3 Download)
They've lost the plot. First two albums were marvellous. Now they just want to sound like a second rate U2. They should ditch Eno for a start.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2014 4:25 AM GMT

Superheavy
Superheavy

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace!!!!, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Superheavy (MP3 Download)
Love it. It's fresh, energetic and the diverse collection of musicians gel amazingly well together. I play it in the car all the time, ...loud!!

The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]
The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]

1.0 out of 5 stars Roger's bleeding heart, 24 April 2014
I'm a huge PF fan, but this is the one album I'd sooner forget. It suffers hugely from the missing Rick Wright and is nothing more than a collection of Roger Waters rants about how he wants us all to suffer 'cos he lost his dad. It's less of a PF album than the two that Gilmour put together, ie: Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, which Waters called (if I remember correctly) a poor imitation - or something like that.

Well, this isn't even a poor imitation. It's a Roger Waters solo album, and not one of his best at that. Musically it never gets going either, it's far too fragmented and sacrifices musical content for the sake of political and emotional ranting. Forget it.

Addendum: I wrote this review originally in 2013, I think! Forgot to mention though that there is one track I do really like, the very last one on the original album, "Two Suns in the Sunset". Otherwise, the opinion is as mentioned above. Interestingly, even allmusic.com calls it a Roger Waters solo album!

Tempest
Tempest

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Tempest (MP3 Download)
Dylan's voice now resembles a bag of gravel after some six inch nails have been added, which I actually like even more than the way he sounded in past years.

He may have turned out one or two duff albums in his illustrious career, but this isn't one of them. This is an album of intelligent, creative and imaginative lyrics from a true poet of our age. The music's not half-bad either.

I do hope that critics will some day stop talking about how old artists are and instead concentrate on the work they produce. Age is irrelevant. Dylan proves that with this essential album.

Bay of Secrets
Bay of Secrets

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Absorbing Read, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Bay of Secrets (Kindle Edition)
I very much enjoyed this book. I have to say that toward the end I did work out a few of the things that were going on, but that didn't detract, because there were other possible outcomes and so it kept my attention while I read on to see if my theories proved true.

She has a nice writing style and I did find myself staying up late reading in bed the nearer I got to the end, to see what happened.

I was left feeling that readers who enjoyed this book would also enjoy "The View From Kleoboulos", which has some similarities of theme, whilst dealing with very different locations. It's full of unexpected twists too.

I shall certainly be reading her other book, "The Villa".

Strofi
Strofi

5.0 out of 5 stars Υπέροχο, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Strofi (MP3 Download)
Είναι μάστορας! Δεν μιλάω Ελληνικά καλά, αλλά ο Νίκος Κ. rocks!!! The best Greek contemporary musician out there, bar none. Forget the language difficulties, just get this and enjoy the great music.

X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black
Offered by TotallyGadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent piece of kit, 30 Aug. 2013
This little gadget far exceeded my expectations. It's funky, compact and delivers amazing sound quality. I'd recommend it to anyone. I use mine for my MacBook, iPod and iPad Mini.

Falling in Honey: Life and Love on a Greek Island
Falling in Honey: Life and Love on a Greek Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 1 Jun. 2013
If you love Greece, especially her islands, then this is a must. Sooo evocative and a lovely beguiling writing style. A book to savour. In fact it's honey in book form!

The only thing I don't quite get is why the Kindle version is almost as expensive as the paperback. That said, I loved reading this book. In fact, if I didn't already live a few islands away from this author, I'd be wanting to move to Greece!!

Sheffield steel
Sheffield steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, excellent, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sheffield steel (Audio CD)
The opening sequence of tracks alone makes this a splendid album. All the way through it the reggae influence of Sly "Drumbar" and Robbie "Bass-spear" infuse the songs with a laid back infectious groove.

Not just one of my fave JC albums, it's one of my fave albums.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6