Profile for Surf Shack > Reviews

Content by Surf Shack

Surf Shack "mad_surfer" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Into the Badlands Season 1
Into the Badlands Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars this is not your typical good guys versus bad guys story, 10 Feb. 2016
10 minutes into the first episode I wondered if I should watch something later, 10 minutes after that I was hooked. I watched all the episodes over a few days.

It's yet another dystopian future world, but the story becomes more intriguing with each episode. As one reviewer puts it, this is not your typical good guys versus bad guys story. Daniel Wu was new to me but plays the lead character extremely well and the plot is certainly not predictable.

The hook is of course the tremendous fight scenes, they are of such high quality they put blockbuster movies to shame with the excellent choreography. In answer to those who have called the fight scenes OTT, they clearly haven't watched the whole season because the reason why becomes obvious by the end.

Cheetos Crunchy Dangerously Cheesy 120.4g Tub (Pack of 3)
Cheetos Crunchy Dangerously Cheesy 120.4g Tub (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Yummy, 17 Jan. 2016
I can indeed confirm these are dangerous as I can't stop eating them. One of the things I always miss from the US.

Einhell Hot Air Gun 2000 Watt with Accessories and Carry Case
Einhell Hot Air Gun 2000 Watt with Accessories and Carry Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for Melting Adhesive, Phone Repairs etc., 17 Jan. 2016
Whenever anything breaks or goes wrong it is, according to my girlfriend, immediately my responsibility to become an expert in the required field and repair it. Sadly I'm an expert at nothing, but thanks to the wonders of You Tube I can do as much damage as the next man. In this instance she asked me to replace the battery in her Sony Xperia Z1. Unfortunately Sony don't make this easy and the first job is to remove a back cover fixed with extremely strong adhesive.

So I started looking for a heat gun to soften the adhesive, but it seemed to me that the temperatures produced by most of them were excessive in the extreme and likely to damage the components. I scoured Amazon but couldn't find any reviews dealing with this particular scenario, so in the end I purchased this one as it at least has a high and low setting. Despite sounding like a low powered hair dryer, wow it gets hot! I strongly recommended resisting the temptation to put your hand in front of it. Using a suitable enclosed attachment I was able to direct heat where it was needed around the edge of the phone and remove the cover using a suction cup. After removing some screws and replacing the battery, it went back together nicely and worked perfectly.

So thank you Einhell, you've saved the woman £100 or so and me a headache. Hopefully this review will be helpful to someone looking to do a similar thing (or have a similar partner).

Rasta Imposta Zombie Penguin
Rasta Imposta Zombie Penguin
Offered by Zensa-Fashion

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a minimum effort/maximum effect costume., 17 Dec. 2014
For people like me who are completely uninterested/too lazy to make their own costume this is perfect. It slips on in one piece, is quite comfortable, and you can even drink through the beak. It seemed to attract a lot of attention at the party, people were particularly impressed by the partially attached eye. Wear the costume with a pair of diving flippers for maximum effect.

I do not recommend trying to operate a car while wearing it. I now know why flies don't drive.

Brikseal Temporary Air Brick Seal (Pack of 2)
Brikseal Temporary Air Brick Seal (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to install but do the job, 17 Dec. 2014
As these seem to be an Amazon deals regular item, I thought some more reviews might be helpful. I was looking for a way to temporarily seal off two air bricks that were causing water ingress to my house while faulty road drainage was awaiing repair. Imagine my surprise when these popped up on Amazon lightning deals!

I followed the preparation instructions but, at this time of year, damp brickwork takes an extended period of dry weather to completely dry. A bit of hairdryer treatment might help, but with a bit of effort I managed to get these to stick and, 1 month later, they are still there. These were just about big enough to cover my two brick high and 1.5 brick wide air vents and have done the job in stopping water ingress.

I've taken a star off for the difficulty of installing this time of year, presumably the "temporary" description has precluded use of a stronger, brick marking adhesive.

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than the Film, 5 May 2014
Don't get me wrong, The SLWM is a fine film, uplifting with great cinematography. The soundtrack is just better. I've not come across these tracks from Jose Gonzalez before, maybe they will be on a future release, but they are worth the price of this soundtrack alone. Absolutely fantastic and inspirational tracks with that ever-present dreamy quality. The support tracks are just as good and give me some new avenues in music to explore.

This CD makes for either great background music or a boot up the proverbial when you are looking for a reason to better yourself. Recommended.

Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver
Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Hate Travel You'll Love These, 16 July 2013
I bought these recently from Best Buy in America just before being due to fly back to the UK from Florida. At the time the exchange rate meant they cost me around £210 making them a bit of a bargain. I have never had noise cancelling head phones before and at first I was disappointed that when turning them on they didn't cancel ALL noise. My girlfriend also thought I was crazy spending so much on a pair of headphones!

What I quickly realised though is that these headphones were a work of art. They come beautifully folded up in a sleek, compact and what appears to be a hard wearing case. They also come with an Apple remote + mic lead, a standard 3.5mm lead and an airplane double pin adapter if needed. For those wondering (like I was) they come with the 1 AAA battery needed to power the headphones for 35 hours.

The moment you start listening to an audio source, you realise that they DO cancel all noise. The active cancellation takes out the annoying thrum of the jet engines on a plane, and even at low volumes you cease to hear noise around you. Turning up the volume can help eliminate even louder ambient noises such as babies crying (which there was on the plane). I was then able to watch the in flight movies as if I was in my own private cinema, it was awesome. I then lent them to my girlfriend to try for 5 minutes after she complained about not being able to hear anything on the flight supplied headphones. In that 5 minutes she went from thinking I was crazy for buying them, to wanting a pair on her birthday. We've been together 5 years and she has NEVER wanted an electronic item as a gift!

One of the reasons I bought them is comfort, I had tried on the OE2s and found them to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Sound quality means nothing if your ears hurt after 5 minutes from an uncomfortable fit. I'm pleased to say these are just as comfortable as the BOSE OE2s. In terms of sound quality they are easily the best headphones I've owned. Having said that, they are by far the most expensive headphones I've ever bought, having previously only spent as much as £60 on various in-ear phones and around £50 on Sennheiser over ear. I'm sure for £200+ there are many good sounding headphones and some that may even sound better than the Bose, but what you won't find is anything more comfortable than these. From what I've read so far, you won't find anything that cancels noise as well either.

If there's one criticism it's that you need to carry a spare battery because if your one runs out, you can no longer listen to music. For some reason there is no passive function. This is a minor criticism and the carry case easily fits spare batteries, but it's important to be aware of this before purchasing.

Bottom line though, is that I'm utterly delighted with my purchase as it can turn plane and train rides from hell into enjoyable experiences. Sadly it can't stop the fat woman in front from reclining her seat into your knees.

Vanquish (Xbox 360)
Vanquish (Xbox 360)
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars Giving this game the attention it deserves, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Vanquish (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm a gamer in my early 30s. I've been playing games since the early 80s and needless to say things have changed a lot since then. I find myself frequently disillusioned with modern games. I have a huge collection of games I've barely touched regardless of critical acclaim. It's easy to think I've grown out of them, then a game like Vanquish comes along.

I picked it up one drunken night when I went on an Amazon spending spree of discounted Xbox games. It had decent reviews so seemed worth a squirt. It's worth a lot of squirts.

In many ways it's an old school shooter brought into the modern age. The graphics are pretty poor to be honest but possess a certain charm, especially the scale with which the game is set despite being completely on rails. The weapon upgrade system is highly rewarding as are the frequent boss battles. Even better for someone like me I can finish the game without needing to quit my day job. It takes a matter of hours (ignoring the obvious replay-ability). It's just relentless fun with plenty of checkpoints so you never have to really rage after dying (and you will).

So to cut it short, this game deserves a purchase for just a few quid. Worthy of a few hours of anyone's time and certainly worth giving the developers some royalties.

LE 3W CF37 E14 LED Candle Bulbs, LED Torpedo, 30W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent, 210lm, Warm White, 2700K, C37 Bulb, Chandeliers, Wall Lights, Candle Lights, LED Light Bulbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Best LED Bulbs I've Tried, 21 Nov. 2012
I'm a big fan of LED, it really is the future as far as lighting is concerned. Around 10 times more efficient than low energy bulbs and without the harmful production process, what's not to like? Well the light actually. Early domestic LED bulbs were like having a disastrously bad neon disco in your house. Then I had the opportunity to order 1000 GU10 LEDs of varying types for a commercial installation and discovered you can actually get warm and natural looking LED lights. So the quest began for LED bulbs for my house.

I tried a few before I cam across these. Almost half the price of the equivalent Phillips bulb and with a nice candle shape. I initially ordered 5 to trial in 1 room with a chandelier. Unfortunately 1 of them turned up smashed to bits in the box, but it seemed as though the damage had occured prior to shipping. They do otherwise feel sturdy and well constructed. There is a split second delay before they come on and then you are presented with a very bright and very natural light that more than adequately lights up a room. Despite being only 3W they are the brightest LED candles I've tried so far including some 4W bulbs I purchased last year. I was so impressed I ordered 11 more for the two chandeliers in my lounge and the broken one (Amazon refunded my money). I'm now ordering another 10 to do my last couple of chandeliers.

When I think what I had before, 25 X 25-40W, I have replaced nearly 1000W of lightning with 75W of better, more natural light it won't take long at all to get my money back. I also use 9W of GU10 LEDs to light my kitchen.

Some further notes: They don't work with my dimmer switch in one room, they just pop straight on, but I never use it anyway and plan to replace with a standard switch at the weekend.

Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Offered by SelectGames

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Xbox 360s Landmark Games, 6 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Alan Wake (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Alan Wake is a game that nearly didn't happen. Ambitious in its concept, it then entered the development netherworld with games like Duke Nukem Forever (look how that turned out). Would it ever be released? Would Microsoft pull the plug? For people like myself, it was a game we were looking forward to ever since a video released at E3 in the 360s first year showed a birds eye view sweeping through an atmospheric mid-west US mountain town with more than a little Stephen King about it.

All I can say is thank you to everyone involved with the game for persevering.

This game excels in no area except one, the finished product. It's a game that is made by the sum of its parts. The fantastic if mildy cliched story, the awesome original soundtrack, the atmospheric visuals complete with slightly clunky animation that somehow helps the atmosphere and the innovative take on light against dark that forms an integral part of the gameplay and story. You don't need to be a survival horror fan to appreciate the amount of sweat, blood and tears that went into making it.

As a part of Xbox 360 history everyone should play this game. For the £10 or so it can now be purchased whether you love it or hate it you are playing your part in supporting innovative and unique games which these days struggle to obtain studio support for being too "risky".

I paid £45 for the collector's edition and would happily have paid twice that for this game, I enjoyed it that much.

Page: 1 | 2