Profile for J. H. Sorge > Reviews

Content by J. H. Sorge

J. H. Sorge "jen"

Cloud Computing: Web-Based Applications That Change the Way You Work and Collaborate Online
by Michael Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a collection of links, 3 Feb. 2010
I bought this book because I wanted to know more about Cloud Computing in detail. I thought this book would give me a bit more insight to the internals of cloud computing.
To my disappointment, the author seems to have done a lot of Google searches about different web applications, and listed them in the book. As an example... he has a section on collaborating on word documents. This whole chapter is mainly made up of: you could use Zoho Writer and it can be found at this web address... or you could use Google Docs, which can be found here, etc. To be honest, I don't have to buy a book to find these applications, a simple Google search would reveal them to me just as well.
I was really disappointed by this book. It might be useful to someone who is computer-illiterate and needs spelling out the obvious things, but it was not for me.
However, it is a nice looking book, good quality and nice printing.

Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor (discontinued by manufacturer) (discountinued by manufacturer)
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome device, 10 April 2008
I use this device for all my runs. It finds the satellites very quickly and never loses reception.

The description of the item on Amazon says that it is not MAC compatible, which is not true. You can download the Training Center software for MAC - their latest release is currently March 2008. I also have Training Center on my PC and I can't really tell the difference between the two!

The Garmin is fully compatible with my MAC and I've never had a problem with it!

The training center software is great - you can create your own workouts and load them onto your Garmin. You can specify goals, e.g. run 2km and keep heartrate in Zone 2. When that stage of the workout is finished, the device beeps and you go on to the next stage of your workout (whatever you specified after that).

The Garmin measures everything I can imagine being measured during a run - even elevation, which is quite interesting when you do hill training.

This device really keeps you motivated - you can load up your own training schedules and keep a history of all your runs! I can really recommend it!!

Oh, and your run is mapped against a map in the training center software, so you know where you have been running.... you can even take one of your old routes and then run against yourself... so much fun!!