Profile for Mr. Simon A. Cawkwell > Reviews

Content by Mr. Simon A. C...

Mr. Simon A. Cawkwell

10 to 60 Gillette Sensor Razor Blades
10 to 60 Gillette Sensor Razor Blades

1.0 out of 5 stars Screwed by Amazon, 29 May 2017
I thought I was getting sixty (60) blades. Actually, I got 30. The advertisement is misleading.

All I wanted to do was to avoid multiple packages. Instead I got screwed.

The Man in the Wooden Hat
The Man in the Wooden Hat
by Jane Gardam

5.0 out of 5 stars A personal assessment of TMitWH, 27 Sept. 2009
Sarah Fellingham's review is interesting. Because my memory is so bad and because I was only half listening to Radio 4's serialisation of The Man in the Wooden Hat, I failed for a while to realise that this is a different novel to Old Filth. I thought some features were different and that, somehow, the Old Filth (which I read four years ago) had had its title changed - this struck me as odd.

But if TMitWH is half as good as OF it is a must buy. Sarah suggests reading OF second. She may be right - I am not sure. However, where she is undoubtedly right is in asserting that one should read both.

Any novel that is stretched out over a lifetime has a head start to my mind. And any novel based on people who are entirely credible (OF's characters certainly are and I incline to expect the same result with TMitWH) is also much more likely to succeed.

Incidentally, I checked with an old HK hand and he assures me that when his family made its way out there in the early nineteen fifties there were stops in Rome or Cairo and then Karachi. Two days all told and at the hands of BOAC.

As it happens, I also think Jane Gardam is a top class bird.

Simon Cawkwell