Profile for D. Moseley > Reviews

Content by D. Moseley

D. Moseley "david27852" (Solihull England)

Page: 1 | 2
Stuhrling Original Allure Women's Quartz Watch with Silver Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet 480.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I like previous people purchased this watch on Black Friday as ..., 3 Dec. 2015
I like previous people purchased this watch on Black Friday as a lightening deal. I suppose the watch itself is worth the money I paid for it but no more and certainly not the list price. I too have looked on the Stuhrling website without success, so am left wondering exactly what I have bought. A word of warning the strap on the watch is very big and has to be taken to a jewellers to be altered. The jeweller I use spent over half an hour trying to remove the pins which he said was usually an easy job, and almost gave up it was so difficult!! So be prepared for a long wait if my experience is anything to go by.

Head Like A Rock  (2CD Expanded Edition)
Head Like A Rock (2CD Expanded Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all rockin guitar, 20 Mar. 2013
This is a really good record, but unlike the impression given by Allmusic, for example, this is not a 60 minute series of raw, guitar-heavy rock. As the liner notes on this reissue explain, Crazy Horse feature on four of the 10 tracks and I would argue only the first two are typical of the guitar workouts familiar to fans of Neil Young. The rest of the record is quite varied, including gospel tinged songs, 60s influenced tracks and acoustic numbers. The bonus CD is worth it for the first track alone, although I happily skip tracks 6 and 7. This did not shout buy me when it was first released and hearing it now I am kind of sorry I did not take the plunge.

The Double Cross
The Double Cross

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tunes great band, 20 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Double Cross (Audio CD)
Sloan are massive in Canada, but little heard elsewhere and this record will probably not change that. Power pop fans I know are blissfully unaware of Sloan and that is a shame. Since shedding the slightly confused sound of the very early records, recent releases have been chock full of hook laden rock. This latest album is marked by the sublime segue of 'Follow The Leader' into 'The Answer Was You' and this is worth the admission alone, particularly as this leads into the great 'Unkind'. Nothing quite matches this, but the closer 'Laying So Low' is an exceptional rock ballad. Much of this band's back catalogue is worth exploring and it would be great to see them live here in the uk.

Backspacer (Limited Edition Gatefold Sleeve)
Backspacer (Limited Edition Gatefold Sleeve)

4.0 out of 5 stars They still got it, 10 Sept. 2010
I had I not bought a PJ record since Vitalogy, but caught up with them again at Hard Rock Calling. I got Backspacer soon after. What struck me on first hearing is how mainstream it is and I was intitially perplexed. However after a few plays the melodies really sink in, and it is a record where the slower number are real quality.

Infinite Arms
Infinite Arms

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather bland, 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Infinite Arms (Audio CD)
The first two records by this band were vocally similar to My Morning Jacket, but without that group's ambition and musical reach. They were however decent records. Infinite Arms is far too bland and lightweight, and drifted over me without making much impression. It seems very clean and maybe they want radio hits. It probably didn't help though that I played Wowee Zowee by Pavement before!

Endurance Racing at Silverstone in the 70s and 80s (Those Were the Days Series)
Endurance Racing at Silverstone in the 70s and 80s (Those Were the Days Series)
by Chas Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, 28 July 2010
This follows the pattern for the 'Those were The Days' series by being written by a real fan and including many photographs taken by the author at the events he writes about - see also the book about Birmingham Superprix.

This book brought back many memories for me. I had just got into F1 when my dad took me, with some trepidation, to the 1984 World Sportscar event at Silverstone. He needn't have worried - I was hooked and have been attending sportscar events at Silverstone and Donnington (alas!) ever since.

This book clearly hit the right note for me - mainly as a momento of those times. The book may not have the professional stamp in terms of layout, photography and journalism. And I read it in one short sitting - there is not much text. However, it is written by someone with real passion for the subject and that counts for a lot.

Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music
Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music
by Greg Milner

4.0 out of 5 stars damning digital, 25 Nov. 2009
The chapters on digital technology will have you running sobbing back to your beloved vinyl - unless like me you sold most of it and bought the CDs! Since reading this I have bought a new deck and reaquanted myself with the aural pleasures of vinyl. I did not find the book laboured too much on technical stuff and I found the passages on the pioneers of recorded sound, like Edison, informative. Also, more importantly, it caused me to listen to Led Zep IV afresh and to blow the cobwebs off Mission to Burma's V album, which I had paid scant regard to since buying it used a few years ago.

The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football
The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football
by David Goldblatt

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just football, 11 Sept. 2009
You dont have to be a football fanatic to enjoy this book, as it can be read as a social and political history of the 20th century with football as the theme running through. It is interesting to follow football from its late 19th century upper class origins to the 'people's game' of today. This is a BIG book and demands an investment of time, but it is well written and easy to read.

Bomp!: Saving the World One Record at a Time
Bomp!: Saving the World One Record at a Time
by Mick Farren

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read on the 60s and 70s rock scene, 18 Jun. 2008
This is essentially a compedium of choice extracts from Mojo Navigator and Bomp magazine articles from the mid-60s to the late 70s interspersed with passages on the development of the magazine etc by Suzy Shaw and Mick Farren. It is lovingly put together. The articles are most revealing; the insularity of 60s San Francisco bands and their ambivalent attitude to black people, the clear lineage of 'punk' from 60s garage bands thru UK pub bands and the despair at the atrophy of the early 70s. What works well is that these articles date from the time and therefore are a reaction to what was happening around them them instead of a history of rock written from today's perspective. And anyway any magazine which can cover glam rock and write about Bay City Rollers records as pure pop without prejudice deserves attention!

First Impressions Of Earth
First Impressions Of Earth

3.0 out of 5 stars Different Strokes for different folks, 17 Feb. 2006
The Strokes were a breath of fresh air when they first burst on the scene - all New York cool and reto before every new band had to be a late 70s/early 80s throwback. The first two albums (I give my age away by using that term!)were great examples of economy in song structures and length. I hate to say it, but I have sat through 'First Impressions' a number of times and failed to be engaged or find many memorable hooks willing to gain any sort of purchase. Sure, there are some highpoints, but there is a lot of very average stuff and it is too long - they could have easily junked the last two tracks, which go nowhere.
A bit of a disappointment then.

Page: 1 | 2