Profile for Anthony Jackson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Bulk Hardware 12W 370mm T4 Fluorescent Tube (Pack of 2) - White
Bulk Hardware 12W 370mm T4 Fluorescent Tube (Pack of 2) - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm, not white!, 6 May 2015
These tubes were a great deal, costing just a fraction of what they would have done in the very few high street stores that stock them!

We bought them to replace 2 lights that had gone in a set of 4 under the kitchen unit. One thing to be wary of is that the listing states 'white' in the title, which led me to believe these would be white lights. However they are actually a much more warm, yellowish colour, and therefore my kitchen now looks a little mismatched. If I was looking to buy these now, I would actually consider replacing *all* of the bulbs with these, so that they were at least the same shade. At this price I could replace all 4 for the same cost as 1 bulb elsewhere.

One of these tubes has now blown after about 10 weeks, but as they are such good value and the other is still fine, I am keen to hope it was a one off, but I have reflected this in my star rating.

The bulbs arrived really safely packed in cardboard tubes and bubble wrap for extra security. Couple this to the excellent speed of delivery and the good price, then I think all in all these are a good buy, just as long as you are happy to *maybe* have to replace the odd dodgy ones!

Dreamland Intelliheat Heated Fleecy Double Dual Mattress Protector
Dreamland Intelliheat Heated Fleecy Double Dual Mattress Protector
Offered by Direct Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Snug as a bug in a rug, 17 Nov. 2014
Having just moved into a large, open plan apartment that is expensive to heat, I was looking for something to keep me warm overnight while not running up a massive electricity bill. This most certainly is it.

At 85W, to use the 9 hour setting overnight on my economy seven bill costs less than 7p.

The blanket itself comes neatly packed, and is easy to open and get onto the bed. It fits as a mattress cover, rather than having straps that need to be tied around. (For me this is important as I like to flip my mattress every other week, and don't want to constantly be undoing straps and tying them up again). It fit my double sized mattress perfectly.

Next you need to connect the controls to their ports. These easily slot in the port on the side of the mattress. Once plugged in, a simple switch on the back controls the on/off for the bed.

When you turn it on you can choose between 6 heat settings and 2 time settings. I have found the best way to use this is to put on setting 6 about 5/10 mins before bed (and itll be toasty just after this amount of time), I leave it on setting 6 while I warm up, then before I go to bed I switch to setting 2 and turn the timer to 9 hours. From my experience so far, this has stopped me waking in the night cold, however nor have I been too hot in bed, it seems to keep the perfect temperature all night.

As for the wires and connectors, they can hardly be felt. I think the fleecy lining helps to insulate against them. The connectors sit about 2/3 inches into the bed, around a foot and a half down from the top of the mattress. They are relatively thin and I hardly notice them (they are not far in enough for me to end up lying on them).

I feel this is an excellent product for the price, and if you are in two minds about a cheaper blanket... I hope you decide to go for this one, you won't regret it!

ASUS X551CA 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 Home)
Offered by Citadel_09

4.0 out of 5 stars A budget laptop with nearly everything I need of it, 11 Aug. 2014
I'm going to start by stating I am not an overly technical minded person, so will not be able to give you detailed info about the ins and outs of the workings of this laptop, but there are excellent reviews already that can give you this. My review is more based on my experience so far with this product, and the few technical aspects I do understand that I feel are good general user info to have.

My overall impression of this laptop is of good quality for its price. The build of the laptop feels like it is a more expensive laptop. I bought the one with an 'intel i3' processor as I was told it was much faster than the cheaper model which is the intel celeron model (whether for general use it makes much difference I don't really think it does). I have found this processor to be able to handle everything I have thrown at it very well. It handles me playing games on the laptop well (both older games and new-ish games like Civ 5) and also seems to flawlessly multitask.

As for the mentioned 2 second start from sleeping which it states in the product description, my experience is that it does indeed start up from sleep within 2 seconds every time.

The computer has one USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0 port. (Both can be used for any USB device). The USB 3.0 port is new to me, and my external harddrive which had USB 3.0 capability gave me a chance to try this function out. Whereas on my old computer it took me 6 and a half minutes to transfer about 6GB of data onto my external harddrive, transferring this onto my new computer took around 45 seconds. I'm really happy and impressed with that!

When I play games I tend to connect the laptop to my tv for a bigger screen, and this laptop can do this with its HDMI port. It also has an older port for connection to standard monitors and also to projectors, so this comes in handy when I give presentations at work.

Windows 8 requires some getting used to if you are coming from an earlier version of getting used to (and is a whole contraversial can of worms to open if I am to start talking in detail about it!). The trackpad of the laptop seems to have some gesture technology, which sometimes (rather frustratingly) makes me open menus on the screen when I had no intention to do so. I'm sure if I searched a bit more I would find a way to turn this off.

The laptop came pre-installed with a 30 day trial of Mcafee internet protection, so I had no issue connecting to the internet immediately, and it has given me a 30 day period to decide whether to purchase further protection with them or to install another antivirus.

The keyboard area also includes a number pad on the right, something I have missed on other laptops.

Build downsides are that the battery is fully encased in the bottom (and so when it needs replacing in a few years time as they inevitably do, it will not be as easy as just removing the old one and plugging the new one in). 2 USB ports is ok, but I would prefer 3 or 4, as once I have my wireless mouse connected I am only able to connect one other device at a time. Also the plastic casing looks smart and the brushed effect around the keyboard is smart, however expect fingerprints all over it as for some reason it just seems to attract finger marks on the plastic no matter how many times you have washed your hands. When you have caps lock on, there is no light to say this (this is only a minor irritation, a few strokes of the keyboard and you realise if its on or off anyway).

Taking the above points into consideration, as well as the excellent price I want to give this laptop overall a score of 4 stars. It is easy to use and easily handles my medium usage (both work and play).

Make Money In Your Pajamas (A Guide To Passive Income Streams That Actually WORK!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, lacking, but what it does say it says well, 11 July 2014
This is a relatively short book, which tells of just 3 ways to generate very small income, only 2 of which are particularly 'passive'. It discusses these apps and websites in enough detail to get the gist of how it works and how to use them well.
It would have been much better to include more sites that while not completely passive, allow you to make money from short surveys or from sign ups.

Finally, while there is nothing wrong with the three descriptions in this book, there are internet guides and other books available that detail many more sites in a completely unbiased approach allowing you to make an informed decision having seen the relative merits and disadvantages of each site. (in this book the author suggests, but not requires, you to use his referral codes to make him money)

Jump Rings - Silver Plated - 4mm - 200 per pack
Jump Rings - Silver Plated - 4mm - 200 per pack
Offered by Forever Beads

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality and value, 10 July 2014
These jump rings are excellent value at the price and also very good quality. They are ideal for fitting small charms to items of jewellery, which is what I used them for.

The ring itself will buckle in if you use too much force, but this I think is a feature of the metal in general rather than of this particular item (if the metal was too strong it would not bend!).

The silver plating is clean and bright, and does not come off the ring through normal bending and sealing of the jump ring.

Aroma Home Body Wrap -  Microwaveable Wheat & Lavender Leaf - Lavender
Aroma Home Body Wrap - Microwaveable Wheat & Lavender Leaf - Lavender

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, flexible product - definitely recommend!, 8 July 2014
This heat pack is as good as any other on the market, and is a good price.
The length of it (it's like a long and thin tube filled with wheat when unfolded out of its packaging) allows it to be wrapped around your neck, back or wherever the treatment area is, so as a pain relief aid it is flexible in the areas it can be used effectively.
It retains heat well and lasts a decent length of time. I found however that the instructions for heating were slightly off (note the 4 instead of 5 star review). I found it to be a little too hot when following the instructions, and therefore recommend to heat this for 30 seconds at a time, while checking it after each time until you reach the required heat. A little tedious yes, but I'd rather do that than have it too hot, and be sat needing it but waiting for it to cool down enough to be comfortable on the skin.
The lavender scent was relaxing, although after having the heat pad on my neck for around an hour, it started to get a bit much.

PS, I Love You
PS, I Love You
by Cecelia Ahern

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book! Just don't read it on the bus!, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I was apprehensive to read this book, having already seen the film, but I needn't have been! The book is deep, beautifully written, and captures the inner thoughts of love brilliantly. Be sure to expect joy, sadness and goosebumps at every page turn!

Just a small word of advice, don't read this on the bus. On nearly a daily basis I read this on my hourly commute, and i felt rather embarrassed to be crying on a number of occasions!

Brilliant in its own right, and film watchers don't be scared. Your imagination runs away with you and the story from the film seems a different one.

Happy reading!

biOrb Flow Aquarium, 15 Litre, White, LED Light
biOrb Flow Aquarium, 15 Litre, White, LED Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fish tank!, 18 Jan. 2013
This fish tank is miles better than the standard round biorb. Its shape means it fits in much easier than the round orb, and I feel it makes the fish look more lifelike (In the biorb the fish tended to constantly be magnified and look slightly distorted). Here that does happen, but only on the rounded corners.

I have this tank set up in an area of my kitchen, away from the cooker and windows. I use it lengthways coming out from the wall as a separator between my food prep area and my washing up area and sink. It looks from any part of the kitchen like a real focal point.

The light unit on this product is bright, and when its the only light on at night this tank just looks awesome. The whole kitchen is set aglow. The reason for losing one star on this review is that the light fitting sometimes gets water within the outer casing, which needs squeezing out. However while this has happened on several occasions, it does not seem to reach anywhere that causes problems, and the tank functions as new, even after 12 months of running.

The filtration system on this tank is good, but can be a little more expensive to run than more mainstream tanks. (pads for mainstream tanks around £4, for this one £6-7).

All in all, this tank is far better for a small fish tank than most of the other offerings available!

Lonely Planet Cyprus (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Cyprus (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide, especially for newbies to Cyprus, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this book before my first ever trip to Cyprus. It proved to be an essential for my trip as we found so many stellar places to visit and things to do that we would have never known about otherwise. The information in the book is highly accurate, and well worth the price paid to give a really memorable holiday

LSL - 19V 3.95A Toshiba Satellite L450D SERIES LAPTOP CHARGER
LSL - 19V 3.95A Toshiba Satellite L450D SERIES LAPTOP CHARGER

3.0 out of 5 stars This product is good for the price, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this item in Jun 2012. The price was exceptionally good compared to OEM prices, and it has worked well until now. The product is now showing signs of faults, I have to wiggle the kettle lead part occasionally to get it to charge, but as a cheap stop gap product to keep my laptop going and avoid having to pay the expense of an OEM product (which only lasted 12months anyway) I would recommend it!

Page: 1 | 2