Profile for Mr. A. P. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. P. Smith

Mr. A. P. Smith "Andy Smith" (England)

LightHub 7W LED Wall Mounted Bathroom 110V / 240V Switched Dual Voltage Shaver Strip Light Fitting & Socket Point with Pull Cord - Polished Chrome
Offered by LightHUB

3.0 out of 5 stars The item seems well made. It suffers from three ..., 4 Aug. 2017
The item seems well made. It suffers from three faults: the constant 50hz mains hum, the orange led that you cannot switch off, and finally that there is no switch to completely turn off the unit.

How to be Free
How to be Free
by Tom Hodgkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but its not Satre, 27 Dec. 2007
This review is from: How to be Free (Hardcover)
I am nearing the end of this book. I love the style in which it is written. Its kinda like listening to one of your friends in the pub enthusiastically telling you about their world philosophy. In this sense it is spirited and motivating, but sometimes you do have to puzzle over some of the somewhat tenuous links that are used to support a some of the arguments. The name-dropping of the author's illustrious friends (Damian Hirst and Keith Allen et al) kinda winds me up too.

Inspiring though this book is, I do feel that maybe many people arent in such a privelleged position to be able to make the kind of broad-sweeping changes that the author is suggesting. Im sure that not everyone has the kind of job that would translate easily to a freelance/self-employed model, nor one which is mostly based at home. In this sense Tom is quite lucky to be an author and to have had a well-paid career prior to his new life. Yes, I would like to quit my job, pop down to the west country, buy a nice cottage with a few acres and live mortgage free. Yes, I would like to potter around in the garden, do the odd days work in my study and then later trot into town on my horse and meet my bohemian chums in the local village pub for a hearty sing-sing. But somehow im not sure it would be so easy for many of us. If youve ever seen River Cottage on TV and noted a mixture of idyllic simple-living with the uncomfortable undercurrent of privillege, then you may see a parallel in this book.

Nevertheless this book is packed full of ideas to get you motivated, and for me it did turn some established 'facts' on their head. I did agree with a lot of the sentiment in this book and I would recommend anyone to read it, but dont expect a robust well-honed philosophical argument. This book is to inspire only, but it does it exceptionally well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2010 7:39 PM GMT