Profile for Laura > Reviews

Content by Laura

Laura (England)

Page: 1 | 2
"SRC" 66" width x 90" drop, Blackout Thermal Curtain Lining. ***Now Includes 20 Curtain Hooks ***
Offered by The Linen Depot

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 2 Dec. 2012
These are great!! They are very effective at blocking outside light and keeping the room warmer, plus they're easy to attach to existing curtains. We have a street light outside our bedroom window which has caused fitful sleep for the two of us, but after we put the linings up, we slept soundly. The room is so dark now, and warmer than it used to be! It also comes with the hooks, which is very handy. I would also add that these are cheaper than the curtain linings sold in places like Dunelm Mill. Recommended!

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, 28 Aug. 2012
I don't like giving books a 1 star review, because, well really no book is THAT bad, it got published after all. There was so much hype around this book that I finally just looked it up on the Kindle store, saw that it was apparently very poorly written, and asked my boyfriend if he fancied having a laugh as I read the book out loud. I was certain that it couldn't be as bad as many of the reviews were making out.... but it was. Oh my, it was.

The writing is just... terrible. The author uses the same words over and over again. Nobody in the book just "says" anything, they all "murmur". The only other thing they do is mutter. Christian Grey always has a "ghost of a smile on his lips", is always "gazing" at people, Ana flushes every 5 minutes, constantly says "oh my", and everyone seems to gasp at regular intervals. And words are often used in the wrong context, or just in a clumsy fashion. There are so many terrible metaphors and similes that we often just found ourselves laughing out loud.

The characters are bipolar, or something. Ana and Grey are all of a sudden really hostile to each other (for no apparent reason), then in the next paragraph they're very friendly and kind. Then all of a sudden back to being hostile. It made no sense. Grey got ridiculously angry when he found out Ana was a virgin and starts shouting "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!?!" but they'd only met about 3 times previously. Grey himself is, I'm 100% sure, the result of two teenagers dreaming up their ideal man. "He should be handsome! And really muscular. And he needs to be rich, and want to end famine, and love art, and be a concert pianist, and a pilot, and be really good at sex. Oh, and his pants should always hang, you know... in that way. You know what I mean!" Grey is simultaneously described as a muscular Adonis, and having a lithe, slim figure, and his eyes are always blazing or burning or scorching or doing SOMETHING that most often doesn't really make sense.

And the sex scenes... oh my. Just to be clear, I don't object to books containing sex scenes. I think people should be less embarrassed about their sexuality. But these are terrible. And I mean, laugh-out-loud terrible. Ana can apparently orgasm just from having her breasts touched, and despite being a virgin, only cries "argh" when Grey's "considerable length" is RAMMED inside her. She constantly refers to what Grey is making her feel "down there" (which lead us to constantly ask if this was written by a 14 year old) and then shatters into a million billion pieces. Grey's regular use of the word "baby" is hilarious, and caused actual laughing fits.

Outside the sex scenes, it is TEDIOUSLY boring. How this came to be a best seller I will never know. I have since deleted it from my Kindle as I felt it was an affront to the English language to keep it. However, I recommend it if you fancy a laugh!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 5:31 PM GMT

DIGITTRADE LS148-13 Summer Cane Designer MacBook Sleeve 13.3" Laptop Cover neoprene soft carry case up to 13.3 inch Anti Shock System
Offered by DIGITTRADE GmbH_11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for a 13.3in laptop, 26 Mar. 2012
This is a lovely case, my Toshiba Satellite fits snuggly inside it, been using it to transport laptop to work and it hasn't received a single scratch. The green on the case is much more vibrant than it looks in the photo, which personally I was happy about as I think it looks much nicer. Definitely adds some individuality to my laptop, a lot of people have commented how much they like the design! Good quality zips, Neoprene is nice and thick. Great product, would recommend!

Toshiba Satellite R830-182 13.3inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-2435M 2.4GHz, RAM 6GB, HDD 640GB, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, powerful, excellent value for money!, 26 Mar. 2012
I felt bad that this laptop only has a 3 star rating on Amazon, so I'm here to give my view on this fantastic little machine!

When I was looking for a new laptop, it had to meet 2 key requirements for me. The first was that it needed to be lightweight. I travel a lot for research, often to fairly remote areas that require a lot of lugging bags around, so this was an absolute must. However, I didn't want a netbook because they are just too small for me - I need to do a lot of data processing, and it's annoying when you can only see about 3 columns of numbers on the screen! I decided that the best size to go for would be a 13.3in, and the Toshiba Satellite is by far one of the lightest machines in that category, lighter even than the MacBook Pro. It's no heavier than my boyfriend's little 8in netbook, absolutely perfect! So it ticked that box.

Secondly, I still needed it to be powerful. I often have a few word documents, some spreadsheets with large quantities of data in them, other analysis tools and several PDFs open while still trying to browse the web and look at emails (plus have some music running in the background). I also use my computer for art in my spare time, and many graphics programs eat up a LOT of memory. I found no other 13.3in laptop that matched the Satellite's 6GB RAM, and it had one of the fastest processor too. Toshiba kind of shoot themselves in the foot by filling the laptop with TONS of bloat-ware that really slows it down, but once you disable all of that, the machine is VERY nippy and handles everything I need and more without blinking.

Other things that swayed me to this laptop were the optical drive (very rare in laptops these days, but something I really want/need), the functionality in general (there are 3 USB ports, and a VGA port which I need because I plug my laptop into a second monitor when I'm at home) and the price. I could have paid more to get an even slimmer laptop, but I didn't have the money, often those laptops were slower than this one, and they reduced a lot of the functionality of the laptop by getting rid of ports etc. For me, this was the best value for money.

Some people have said they don't like the matte screen or the shallow keys on the keyboard. Personally, I prefer a matte screen (reduces glare!) and I like the keyboard, I don't have any problems using it at all and it looks nice. The one annoying thing is that for some reason the mouse buttons are shiny and smudge easily, but I have a USB mouse that I plug in anyway since track pads drive me up the wall, so it's not too much of a big deal. I've also seen people complain about the low quality webcam. For me, it's fine, it's about as good as I was expecting from a built-in camera. For the purposes of Skype, it'll work. If you want something better, just get an external camera. Battery life is pretty good, I can go the whole day at work without needing to plug it in (though I am in and out of the lab a lot, not constantly using the computer, so I may not be the best person to judge that).

In all, I'm very happy with my purchase. Visually, the laptop looks very sleek and clean, the brushed magnesium case is very pretty. I can easily pick it up with one hand (and I have no upper body strength to speak of), very slim and easily slides into my backpack. As mentioned, my only gripe is all the Toshiba-branded crap that was pre-loaded on here. If you are someone who's not fully computer literate, you may find it difficult to get rid of. I'd consider myself to be fairly competent with computers, but I had no idea what to do. Thankfully my boyfriend works in IT and knew how to deal with it, but without him I'd still have a very bloated laptop. If you can, get someone to help you or look it up online, because it REALLY does cripple the machine. I don't want to mark it down for that, because that's really not the laptop's fault, it's Toshiba's, and once you disable it, the laptop can finally show off how speedy it is.

In summary: I love this laptop, and would recommend to anyone looking for a powerful and lightweight machine!

Njoy Wii Remote - Black
Njoy Wii Remote - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just as well as an official remote!, 11 Dec. 2011
I'm really surprised to see so many people having trouble syncing their remotes to the Wii. When I used it for the first time, we synced it by pressing the SYNC button on the Wii console and the back of the remote, and it synced up just fine. Now, anytime we use it, all we have to do is press any button on the controller and it will sync up perfectly, have been able to play with 2 players on Mario Kart Wii with no problem. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the vibration and speaker are a bit loud, but it's not horrendous and, hey, it was only £10! For me, this has been a great bargain.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

4.0 out of 5 stars The Time Traveler's Wife, 11 Jun. 2011
There are quite a lot of extreme reviews here for this novel, on both ends of the spectrum, and I think in part that's because of the massive hype surrounding the book. Personally I really enjoyed reading it, it was very original and moving. It wasn't perfect, of course, and in fact there were parts that really annoyed me. There were many passages where the author just went into meaningless detail. It was irritating and read more like the author was trying to say, "Look how much I know about punk music/literature/poetry/paper-making etc." That scene at Clare's friend's Christmas party, where Henry is talking to the kids about punk music, was SUCH a drag. I didn't really care about what kind of bands they listened to, it added nothing to the story, and I just found myself wishing it would move on already. Having said that, the story itself was beautiful, told in a quirky and interesting way. The second half was extremely moving, and the sense of impending loss and darkness was very well put across. I cried several times. I immediately connected with the premise of having one partner away for periods of time and the other waiting. My work involves me going on research trips, often to remote and unreachable places of the world, while my partner remains at home for at least a month, unsure of how often I'll be able to contact (if at all). As I was reading this on one of my trips, I was hoping to really connect with the characters, to really feel what my partner feels when I'm gone. But I felt this theme was not well portrayed. As there was never any description of Clare's life in between Henry's visits when she was younger, and while Henry was away when they were married, I didn't ever feel that sense of longing or loneliness that I know the author was trying to get across. It just didn't happen. The ending was heart wrenching though, and I just feel the author missed the opportunity to really give us an idea of what it's like being a time traveler's wife.

Overall, I very much enjoyed the book, it was a good read, very interesting and original, and made me think for days on end about it. I really loved the circular nature of the story, and despite its flaws, I have given it 4/5 as it was so novel. I would recommend it to others, but have some tissues at the ready for the second half!!

Philips HP6509 Satinelle Soft Sensitive
Philips HP6509 Satinelle Soft Sensitive
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful beauty product, 27 Feb. 2011
I have never had an epilator before, so I can't really compare it to others on the market. But I can tell you what I thought of it as a first-timer! I was nervous initially about using it, because I'd heard epilating is very painful. It's really not that bad... it DOES hurt, but it's the similar kind of pinching/nipping feeling of plucking your eyebrows, so not really much to worry about! It removes the hairs from my legs very well, and with a bit of moisturiser on them afterwards, they are left very soft and smooth (they won the boyfriend's approval!). It's MUCH better than waxing, which usually leaves my legs very dry. The hair takes a while to grow back and, rather thankfully for someone like me with dark hair, it comes back thinner and lighter. This will be a godsend in the summer!! It comes with a shaving head, which I have found works very well on my underarms (another bane in summer). The product itself looks very pretty, fits nicely in your hand, and is small enough to be tucked into a bathroom drawer. The cable is very long, which means you don't end up sitting ridiculously close to a plug socket, or being unable to reach anywhere. In all, I'm very pleased with my epilator, and would really recommend it to anyone wanting to epilate! I will never shave my legs again!!

Apple iPod nano 4GB silver
Apple iPod nano 4GB silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, really recommend, 26 April 2008
I got this back in February for my birthday, after having spent three years with a little stick MP3 player. I had heard some negative things about iPods, but I decided to go with this one anyways since it was pretty competitively priced. I have not been disappointed yet. The interface is very user friendly and intuitive, and music is pretty easily transferred from your computer. The screen is sharp and sound quality is very good. Lots of other little extras on it to keep your thumbs busy if you're sitting around waiting for the bus or something. I have also been extremely impressed with both durability and battery life. I recently took it on a 4 week trip to Indonesia, and only had to charge it up about three times. It also managed to survive the trip loose in my backpack without a scratch or crack (I've also accidentally dropped it a few times and almost had a heart attack until I realised it was still playing music). The small size actually works very well, fits in the hand nicely and means I can slide it into the front pocket on my jeans when walking in to lectures. And it looks pretty sleek too!

Basically, I've been thrilled with the purchase and haven't regretted it at all. Really do recommend this for anyone looking to get a new MP3 player.

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars Already wanting more, 24 Sept. 2007
I have just finished reading this book. I cannot remember the last time I was so engrossed in a story, connected so strongly with the characters and found myself half-eager half-despairing to get to the end. The world in which the story takes place in is written so convincingly by Hobb that at times it felt she was actually describing places that had once existed. She has not only created the land geographically speaking, but she also came up with the cultures, the traditions, the history and even the political backdrop for it all.
I think the portrayal of Fitz is excellent, the idea to write in first-person was an excellent one and overcomes the no-name problem that he encounters for a good portion of the novel, you really feel as though you are in his body. I enjoyed the way the story folded out, how he slowly grew without you realising it as you read, much how you don't realise the people you grow up with are doing so. I also enjoyed how certain things were never directly explained, such as the Skill. Obviously, to Fitz, this doesn't need explaining and you are left to gradually build your understanding of the world he lives in. I did cry once or twice reading it, and it also left me with a very saddening feeling of past childhood years and becoming older.

Basically... I'm going to order the next two books once I've finished writing this!

Fallen
Fallen
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of my favourites, 16 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out in the UK and it is STILL one of my favourites ever. I love every song on the album, there isn't one I can pick out and say I don't like. The variety is great, and the contrast between Amy's beautiful voice and the piano to the heavy metal riffs playing over her is almost haunting. I prefer the band version of My Immortal to the album version, just because I feel it conveys more emotion and builds up more (it's the version that makes me cry everytime as well!). The album altogether is just well put together. The lyrics are beautiful, the music is amazing and I just find it all really inspiring. My favourite songs include Bring Me To Life, Imaginary and Whisper. They're all fantastic though. A definite MUST BUY! You will never regret it, I still listen to this album a lot.

Page: 1 | 2