Profile for T. C. Hogg > Reviews

Content by T. C. Hogg

T. C. Hogg "tom57173" (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pachinko
Pachinko

3.0 out of 5 stars Dull, frankly, 4 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Pachinko (Kindle Edition)
This is a competently written book, and upon reading the afterword I feel a little guilty that I didn't like it more, given the effort that the author took to write it. However my main compliant is that it's very linear both in terms of the narrative and the style and although there are many incidents woven into the story, none are dealt with in any great depth.

For example, it's never really explained why the Japanese treat Koreans with contempt, and this is the central theme of large parts of the book. Admittedly though, I'm reading it as a European with very little knowledge of the background.

Wileyfox Swift 2 16GB with 2GB RAM 5.0" HD (Dual SIM 4G) SIM-Free Smartphone Android Nougat 7.1.2 - Midnight

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent phone, no major complaints., 26 April 2017
I bought a Wiley Fox Swift 2 during a promotional period for a very attractive price of circa £110.00 SIM free. It was bought to replace a 2103 Moto G which was getting a bit worn out and suffering from a lack of storage space. I'm not a techy person and reading reviews that talk about response times in subdivisions of seconds leaves me cold.

I don't see that much difference between this phone and my old Moto G. The photos are maybe a bit better but still nowhere near the quality of my compact camera or my wife's iPhone6. The case of the phone is now badly marked from the keys in the pocket where I keep my phone - I stupidly thought that the "hand feel" of a smooth metal case would be spoiled by a silicon cover, but instead I've got a well used looking phone after only three months.

I've had no problems with app storage so far and the phone is maybe a bit more responsive than my last one. The new Android upgrade works fine and was easy to install.

Overall this phone is like a Kia or Hyundai car. As well equipped as a better model, cheaper, but perhaps not as fulfilling.

It: Film tie-in edition of Stephen King's IT
It: Film tie-in edition of Stephen King's IT

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 26 Feb. 2017
Where to start? At best it's rambling and incoherent, at worst it's verging on paedophilia in places. All of the characters are cardboard cut-outs (yes all of them) and there are subplots that simply go nowhere. I really can't add any more. Hugely disappointing.

LeapFrog My Discovery House
LeapFrog My Discovery House

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value gift for a grand-neice, 3 Dec. 2016
This review is from: LeapFrog My Discovery House (Toy)
This was bought for an 18 month year old, who loved it. It maybe lacks a bit of animation in terms of the various switches, but there's enough to keep any small child going for a while, especially one who is just beginning to learn to speak by repetition.

The Liar
The Liar
by Stephen Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars An Eton-esque mess, 19 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Liar (Paperback)
Oh dear. An unlikable central character, a parade of middle class English cliches (as the minor characters) and a plot that blunders about like a drunk man looking for his flies. It takes until about halfway in before anything vaguely coherent appears, and unlike great writers, the lead up to the central plot's emergence is not, despite other reviews, worth the wait. If you want a genuinely funny Oxbridge novel, try Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe.

HeroBeam® LED Head Torch - Best Pocket-Sized Headlamp for Running, Dog Walking, Fishing, Biking, Camping, Watching Nature, Reading, Cycling or DIY - White/Red Lighting Modes - Lightweight, Comfortable and Weatherproof - includes DURACELL Batteries - 5 YEAR WARRANTY
Offered by HeroBeam Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good alternative for an occasional user, 22 Jun. 2016
I've had this torch for a few months now and it has been a good purchase. I'm a surveyor and sometimes need my hands free in dark places and this does the trick without the cost of higher spec/higher cost equivalents. If I was looking to wild camp in Glen Nevis then perhaps I'd look for something less bulky and a little less plasticky, but this is ideal for me.

A-szcxtop Unisex Rectangle Polarized Lens Myopia Clip-on Sunglasses Toad Sunglasses Clip on Sunglasses/Flip up Glasses
Offered by Tonjx

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 22 Jun. 2016
At the price, I wasn't expecting much and what I got was the aviator shape rather than the square shape ordered. Never mind, they fit my specs and do the job adequately well.

Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe
Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good primer for a forgotten corner of modern European history, 22 Jun. 2016
As a frequent visitor to Austria, I enjoyed this book, mainly as a primer for Austrian history, which I'd suspected to be complicated, but perhaps not quite this complicated.

I read the first half at a canter, as it leaps through decades and takes small side trips to explain the vagaries of this or that minor aristocrat, all done with a Bill Bryson style deft touch and no small amount of humour. The second half of the book was harder going. The pace slows as Europe begins to assimilate into something vaguely recognisable in the 21st century and for some reason Simon Winder heads off on a number of music-related tangents, which is fine if you actually know classical music, but sadly uninteresting to an oik like me who doesn't know his Liszt from his Schopenhauer.

Nonetheless, I'm grateful for the chance to bone up on the Habsburgs in such an easy and accessible way, although I'm certain, like his Germania book, that there will be others that scoff at Winder's occasional tendency for sweeping generalisation.

So You've  Been Publicly Shamed
So You've Been Publicly Shamed

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone who is a Twitter addict like me. Ronson carefully deconstructs some of the recent ..., 9 May 2016
Essential reading for anyone who is a Twitter addict like me. Ronson carefully deconstructs some of the recent social media storms and re-presents them in a different light. It's a relatively short book and at times I'd wished that he'd taken us off on a meander rather than a brief diversion.

ION Audio Slides Forever   Digital Image Conversion Scanner for Negatives and Slides
ION Audio Slides Forever Digital Image Conversion Scanner for Negatives and Slides

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough if you just want to store family snaps ..., 17 Jan. 2016
Good enough if you just want to store family snaps in a more convenient form, but the limited control in terms of adjusting the image quality is a big miss. The scanner picks up what it sees and gives you a preview before you save, but what it sees isn't usually that good if there are large ares of one colour. One particular slide of mine was a good close up of two relatives, but the scanner saw the faces as blobs of white. Waiting until the image stablised made the reproduction worse and not better. You get what you pay for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4