Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for JoRo > Reviews

Content by JoRo

JoRo (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Sea Raiders
The Sea Raiders

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 April 2017
This review is from: The Sea Raiders (Kindle Edition)
I confess that I am writing this review without having finished reading the book and that is not really fair. However, I have loss the will to continue. The author writes well enough but I became irritated initially by his habit of making a statement, repeating it and then reinforcing it, so in my mind I was saying, "Yes, I get the point, can we move on?" The following chapter just seemed to be a list of events. I would have preferred an in-depth account of a few of the typical raiders.

Vacumm Suction Wall Soap Dish Rustproof Soap Holder Storage Stainless Steel Soap Saver, 12.8cm x 10.5cm x 3cm by IPEGTOP
Offered by ipegtop

5.0 out of 5 stars Soapy Sucker, 28 Mar. 2017
It arrived promptly. Appears well made. It was easy to affix to the tiled wall in the shower. After a week it is still there and appears secure. The proof of the pudding will be whether it is still in place in a few months time. At the moment I am optimistic.

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 0.9 m (3 ft) - White
AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 0.9 m (3 ft) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the original, 26 Mar. 2017
I bought this to replace a cable I used in the car to recharge the phone which had suddenly failed. I was pleased to discover Amazon Badics cable worked when I used it to synchronise my iPhone with iTunes on my AirMac. The cable I initially used would not allow the sync and my searches online suggested the problem was with cable itself. The inference was that only a genuine Apple cable would work. I can confirm the AppleBasics one worked for me.

Lorenz: Breaking Hitler's Top Secret Code at Bletchley Park
Lorenz: Breaking Hitler's Top Secret Code at Bletchley Park
by Jerry Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars You can't judge a book by its cover, 23 Mar. 2017
I enjoy reading about the Allied codebreaking exploits in WW2 and so when I saw this book advertised I immediately ordered it. I regret to say I was disappointed. I was looking forward to an in depth analysis of the breaking of the Lorenz code. The book is, in fact, an autobiography of which a section (roughly a third) is devoted to Lorenz. The rest of the book covers the author's early life and his career after the war and his highly commendable efforts to bring official recognition for the work of Bill Tutte and Tommy Flowers.

The author's description of his codebreaking work is inevitably concentrated on a rather narrow viewpoint. However, he does describe the mechanics of the codebreaking procedure in fascinating detail and this is something which I haven't come across before. The broader aspects of the results of the breaking of Lorenz is given in five short examples and a brief discussion of D-Day.

There is a lot of repetition in the book and the author's style is somewhat rambling on occasions. In my humble opinion it is crying out for the services of a good editor.

My main complaint is not so much about the book itself but in the way it is promoted. I believe there are better accounts available of the breaking of the Lorenz code. On the other hand, if you like reading biographies you may well enjoy this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2017 10:42 PM BST

JETech 3-Pack iPhone 6s / 6 Screen Protector Film HD Clear Retail Packaging (HD Clear) - 0801 (HD Clear)
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good protection, 19 Mar. 2017
The screen protectors were bought as a gift for my granddaughter who has a new iPhone. The phones are so expensive that it seems common sense have some protection and the screen seems to be the most vulnerable. She is very pleased with the protectors.

Polar Fleece Despicable Me Yellow and Blue Minions Unisex Onesie Cosplay Costume Hoodies/Pyjamas/Sleep Wear (M(160-170 CM))
Offered by EyeCandy UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuddly and Warm, 8 Jan. 2017
It was purchased as a gift and the recipient says she is delighted with it. It took a long time to arrive but I believe it was within the time stated when I ordered the fleece.

Oven Glove Professional Double Sided FOR Catering Chef Home Kitchen Cooks Resturant Bistro School College Double sided Cooking Gloves 100% Cotton Quality Mitts
Offered by Discounted Cleaning Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 6 Jan. 2017
It arrived very promptly and appears to be of good quality. My wife is happy with it and that is what really counts.

The Telegraph: All New Quick Crosswords 10 (The Telegraph Puzzle Books)
The Telegraph: All New Quick Crosswords 10 (The Telegraph Puzzle Books)
by THE TELEGRAPH MEDIA GROUP

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment., 6 Jan. 2017
Up to its usual standard.

Top Rated Car Charger, [Lifetime Warranty] RAVPower Dual USB Car Adaptor (4.8A/24W, iSmart Charging, Built-in Safety Protection) for iPhone 7 / 6S Plus / 5S, iPad Air / Mini, Galaxy S7 / S6 Edge, Nokia and More - Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and useful with the two usb ports, 26 Dec. 2016
Well made and fits easily in the charger point. It does not extend too far so that it snags anything. I find the two USB sockets useful for powering the sat-nav and the mobile phone. The blue light indicating power-on can be seen easily without being intrusive. I am pleased with it.

How Steam Locomotives Really Work (Popular Science)
How Steam Locomotives Really Work (Popular Science)
by P. W. B. Semmens

5.0 out of 5 stars Full steam ahead, 2 Dec. 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and learned a lot about how steam engines work. The authors wonder whether they have included too much or too little information. I think they get the balance about right. Any more detail and it would risk becoming a workshop manual!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11